“Shabby tiny grubby”

The Gainsborough Hotel
Ranked #802 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Well the title just about sums it up I think! Who says its 4 star? More like 2 star!
Good points- great location and my room was very quiet, at the back with no view but this does keep traffic noise down to almost none!
Bad points- tiny tiny room. Bed linen dirty, bathroom tiles cracked and dirty, bathroom sink cabinet dirty. It's just all a bit old tired and grubby- won't be stopping for breakfast do cant comment on the food!
One to avoid at the general rate of ��180 a night, if I paid that I would be asking for a refund! Feel let down after paying just ��90 through Expedia secret hotel discount!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Drzippy

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Room was in basement and was tired. My colleagues room was also in basement backing onto a basketball court giving him no chance of a pre dinner nap. The receptionist was uninterested When we tried check out and even worse AWEFUL undrinkable coffee at breakfast.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank mikewlane
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Spent a couple of nights at the Gainsborough Hotel London. The location is great, you have the tube nearby, busses, taxis and you can walk to museums. I went to the V & A Museum for a specific exhibition, it was only a couple of minutes walk. There are lots of restaurants and bars close by.
The room is small, the bathroom is also small but adequate, the view was of a roof top and back walls of buildings.
The staff are efficient but not warmly friendly. The bar is very small, i didn't bother with it.
There's not a lot to say about the Gainsborough Hotel really, it was ok for the time I spent there, the most it has going for it is the location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank StellaNW
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed one night in single room. Room was apparently freshly refurbished with new TV and comfortable bed. Great room service and staff was very helpfull. The location is unbeatable the hotel is just in front of museums and 3 min walk from tube station. The price is relatively good considering the area. I had also nice full english breakfast and smile from staff :-) I must say a lovely stay overall.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Helena1245
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The best thing about our room were the curtains! The Georgian high ceilings are lovely but the whole place is tatty. The reception area looks good but looking past that the stair/landing carpet is old and stained, the wall paper is faded and peeling in places. There seemed to be some wall paper stripping in the next bedroom to ours as there was paper all over the carpet down the landing so there might be some redecorating plan going on, i hope so as this is a lovely area of Kensington and being this post code you expect something nice and also for the price! The room was clean and the bedding immaculate and nicely presented. We slept well with hardly any noise and the lovely very long and sumptuous curtains eliminated any light at all. It was hot and humid outside but we had air conditioning which worked very well. Wifi was £5 per hour or £10 for 24 hours, not really what you expect when many provide it for free. Breakfast was not wonderful but adequate. No fresh fruit sald only tinned peaches and tinned pears swimming in lots of syrup. No fresh milk, only UHT, not good when you're dying for a good cup of tea. Not much choice on the menu. One saving grace was that they did find some gluten free bread which was much appreciated. The staff were helpful and very polite. It was very convenient for all of the museums being at the end of the road and many lovely eating places in the area.

Room Tip: I suppose the more you pay the better room you get in terms of location.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WhiteRoseSandwich
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I guess that you get what you pay for but I still feel very let down by this hotel. I booked a room at short notice on www.laterooms.co.uk and found a "special deal" at the Gainsborough near to South Kensington Tube. It was described as 4* with a room reduced from £220 to £70 excluding breakfast. It sounded too good to be true....

Firstly the good points:
The Location

And now some of the bad ones:
The room (no 308) was only about 6'6" x 11' (2m x 3.4m) plus the tiniest bathroom I have ever seen. The bathroom door would not fully open because it banged against the bed..
Decoration was very poor with mould in the shower, door knob falling off the bathroom, filthy windows, paint falling off and strange circular stains on the walls.
The temperature in the room at midnight was 89 deg F (30 Deg C) with no air con and only a portable fan to try and keep cool.
The shower door was a corner unit where I had to squeeze my body through the opening (No, I am not an obese person!). I had to run the water for 10 minutes to get warm water. There was no indication of how to work the shower controls with no H or C labels.
The window overlooked aircon units on the roof of the next office block and had windows from another building looking straight inside my room. This meant that i had to make the choice of opening the window and curtains to get some airflow and being overlooked lying on top of my bed, naked directly in front of the fan trying to cool off. It did not bother me unduly but I imagine that this would be a big problem for any ladies staying here.
I DID NOT SLEEP A WINK ALL NIGHT.
This was a horrid little room and I advise anyone reading this to check the room size before booking. There is no way that this is a 4*hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Bertybign
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Me and my partner normally celebrate our birthday in a nice hotel in this area of Kensington/Chelsea. I got there first to realised the room was dark and the only view was to some building black pipes. Immediately ask the reception for a better room as I would be very claustrophobic in this one. Well the other 2 choices wasn't much better, but I took the the one that had window to more scaffoldings, but I guess it was better then the then worse ones. The aircon was very week, the PILLOWS ARE TERRIBLE, I was chocked with the poor qualities and we both have terrible aching necks today. Not to mention that we told them the flash for the Loo wasn't working proper and they told us when we returned that it just need to push very hard and several times...imagine an older person trying to flash?? To last disappointment was the Continental breakfast with burned small croissants and hardly any food. We will never go back there. They must rise their standards as it's not 4 stars!!

Room Tip: Look at the reviews before you book any place, I regret I didn't leave immediately!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple