“Won't be back,sorry!!!!”

Ranked #874 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Tintagel, United Kingdom
“Won't be back,sorry!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

On arrival at the Gainsborough I was pleased with the location as we were visiting the Royal Albert Hall. The receptionist was kind and helpful with directions. The lift scared the life out of me the first time we used it so used the stairs after that up to the 4th floor. The room was shabby. I've never stayed in a hotel before that doesn't provide tea and coffee in the room. The bathroom was awful.....no shower, cracked floor tiles, dirty bath and the heated towel rail was hanging off the wall. We upgraded to the full English breakfast which we both ended up leaving as microwaved hash browns just didn't taste the same! Long life milk for the cereal and tea/coffee wasn't too appetising either. The only thing going for the hotel was its location sadly so we won't be staying again. Very disappointed !!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Julie K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Hotel room was lovely, the receptionist was rude, and they don't give you deposit back without a fight.
I'm very angry with them and can't get hold of them.

Please can they comment with a number underneath to call them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel B
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I will never ever stay at this hotel again because of:
- the room was on ground floor and had no window
- there was a muggy smell in the room
- there was a rat or some similar animal in ventilating tube and made noise the whole night and compaining at front desk did not change anything (change of rooms was refused)

I urgently recommend to stay at a different hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank stefan b

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Goxhill, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have just returned from London where I stayed with my wife in room 103 at The Gainsborough.
Our stay was not a good one for the following reasons:-
There was no plug in the bath or hand basin, no shower curtain over the bath, the window blind was broken as was one of the window catches, the toilet seat was loose, there was only one bedside table and lamp and the TV electrics were very poorly done. The décor was very shabby and there was paint peeling from the walls in the bathroom.

We ordered room service on the night of 13th May to be told shortly after that one of the items was unavailable.
We made another choice so had Cajun Chicken, Salmon and a bottle of Red Wine.
When the meal arrived we opened the wine and commenced the meal. The chips were almost cold, the chicken raw in the centre and so I called to advise the room service staff.
When the butler arrived I explained the situation and as I was unhappy with the quality of the food asked him to remove it all including the remaining wine and bottle and said I would not be reordering. He suggested quite rudely that as we had already drunk some of the wine we would be charged for it. I said I was not happy with this as it had spoiled our evening and I would be making a complaint to the Manager.
I made my point clear at check out and was not surprised to hear several other guests also complaining.

I have complained to the management at the Gainsborough and Hotels4you who I booked it through but as yet I have had no reply from either.

Room Tip: We only stopped in one room which had no outlook other than another wall, I would avoid room 103 for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Steve W
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Firstly I would like to state that my overall rating of 2 is based on the fact that this property is marketed as a four star hotel. What they actually mean is that the prices are four star, everything else is three star at best.

Reason for visit.
We were doing a touristy weekend trip to London, a bit of shopping, taking in a couple of attractions, a show and a couple of restaurants. We were a group of 4 (two couples).

Service;
We had actually booked into the Gallery Hotel which is directly opposite the Gainsborough and owned by the same company. On arrival we discovered that the Gallery had been closed for renovation. We had received no notification of this and It was only by chance that we went into Gainsborough to see if they could provide any information on the situation. At this point we were advised that our booking had been transferred to the Gainsborough.

The receptionist was pleasant and efficient and we were booked in and into our room within 10 minutes of arrival.

We made two requests to housekeeping during our stay, one was for a hairdryer (more about this later) which wasn't dealt with and one asking for additional pillows (requested at 9.00 am). These didn't arrive and my wife had to visit reception to chase them up when we came back in at 6.00 that evening.

Value:
We paid 150.00 per night, which I would descried as appalling value given the room that we had.

Sleep Quality;
The beds are old, small and rock hard, the pillows are wafer thin and soft offering no support at all. On the first night neither of us slept particularly well. The second night we fared a little better with the extra pillow each. If I had to sum up the the quality of the bed linen in one word then I would say "cheap".

Cleanliness;
The whole property is more shabby than chic and really could do with a makeover it was superficially clean i.e. hoovered and polished, but it just felt generally grubby.

Rooms
Our room was dim and like the rest of the hotel needed a makeover. We had a pair of patio doors that lead out into a maintenance area which would not close properly and were secured by a small chain across the handles. There were no power points easily accessible and if you wanted to boil the kettle you had to pull out the dresser, unplug the TV and plug in an extension lead (supplied) and run it up to the top of the dresser. We eventually found the hairdryer hardwired in a drawer in the bedside locker (where else), but this is on the opposite side of the room to the wall mirror. This means that the chord has to be stretched to it's limit if you want to dry your hair whilst looking into the mirror. Over time this constant stretching has obviously had an effect on the internal wiring in the dryer to the point where every time you pull it to it's maximum it actually cuts out. My wife surprised me a little with extent of her vocabulary.

Our bathroom can only be described as vile. The bath was stained the tiles cracked and grimy the taps discoloured the lack of a toilet brush the extractor that didn't work the toilet that wouldn't flush all in all pretty disgusting.

To summarise: We had a fantastic weekend tarnished slightly by the poor accommodation.

Room Tip: To get a good room I would advise you to choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul A
Lancaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I decided to pay a little extra for a single room with double bed, as I thought that the room would be larger than the average single size. It was fine for my purposes- enough room to move around in, comfortable bed and, above all, very quiet, as it was on the top floor. There is a lift. The decor was reasonable, if faded; there was an openable window, air conditioning (not used) and everything required. It was clean. The shower room tiles needed replacing, but everything worked satisfactorily. The continental breakfast was pretty basic, with tinned fruit and a selection of fresh pastries, plus cheap looking slices of ham and cheese. The cooked breakfast was extra on my tariff so I didn't try it. There was no fresh decaffeinated coffee available- in this day and age, there is no excuse for this. The reception and serving staff were very friendly- the person on reception was apologetic that WiFi was charged for and offered me the use of her computer for an urgent e-mail. The venue is great for Kensington, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park and the big museums, plus there are some good restaurants nearby. I managed to get a reasonably priced deal for my stay- I certainly wouldn't pay the full asking price for the standards that they offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor- very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Paphos, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

For the first time ever, I booked a secret hotel via Expedia. They lied. I will never book a secret hotel again from any company. It will be a very long time before I book anything through Expedia.

The promise was a four-star hotel in South Kensington at a 40% discount. I booked for three nights. The price was £133 per night, breakfast being extra. This is not a four-star hotel. Since Agoda sold the same rooms for the same nights at £152, without there being any kind of special offer, my understanding of maths can't work out where the 40% discount comes from!

If you are offering a four-star hotel, on a so-called secret basis, you have to be upfront about those things which are not four-star. In 2014 no four-star hotel still charges £10 per computer per day for Wi-Fi. No four-star hotel has got away with charging £1.42 for a one-minute call to France since the 1970s. Four-star hotels do not have holes in the curtains. The curtains in four-star hotels are hung properly. Four-star hotels offer more than six hangers for a couple staying for three nights. Four-star hotels offer a choice of a double bed or two single beds to couples. Four-star hotels have quality beds and do not use the cheapest possible quality bedding. Four-star hotels have air conditioning. They do not feel uncomfortably hot even on a cool April evening. The electrical wiring in four-star hotels is immaculate. Four-star hotels have enough space for all your cases and enough space in their wardrobes for all your clothes. Four-star hotels have a proper,spacious, bathroom. They do not feature a seriously pokey shower cabinet, with no bath and with one tiny hand basin for a couple!

The location of this hotel is extremely convenient for all sorts of places, with good transport links as well. That is all the hotel has going for it. There is not the tiniest bit of style in the upstairs areas. The only way it could conceivably merit the description four-star is if the whole interior was to be gutted, at a cost of millions of pounds of course.The same space would end up providing something like two thirds of the numbers of rooms currently in use in a modern, stylish fashion.

I do not get the impression that the ownership has any intention of spending any money at all on the property, let alone that amount. Unless they do, avoid this hotel like the plague!

Room Tip: Don't stay at all!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple