“Loved it!”

Hotel Indigo London Kensington
Ranked #85 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was one of the best hotels we've gotten. We did have pricey rooms but they were so worth it. The bed was comfy, the bar was free and restocked, bathroom was clean and spacious AND you could listen to whatever was on TV as there were speakers inside. The design and style were also very cool and eclectic. Overall, great place!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is another good hotel in this IHG chain lovely rooms great food nice staff location a bit away form life but only 2 mins to earls court tube station. The rooms were very well looked after thoroughly enjoyed my stay

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights at this hotel.
The location is superb. It's located really close to Earl's court tube station which is on the Piccadilly line, and this leads to LHR airport as well as to Knightsbridge (Harrods), green park (which leads to Jubilee line), and to covent garden/Leicester square etc (think of musicals!) There are a couple of restaurants around, and a M n S food just across the road.
I like the decor the the hotel. Colorful, quirky modern vintage to blend in with the building's past.
Check in was efficient and smooth. We were allocated a room in the attic rm 502. The room is small but still sufficient for 2 travellers. Wardrobe could have been larger. Bathroom was bright and of a good sized though, and came with a very funky purple night light. It came with a rain shower but we didn't use it much as the water splashed past the shower screen, on to the bathroom floor. I love the loud colors in the bedroom and the wallpaper. They provided a free mini fridge with lemonade and water which was refilled daily, and teapigs tea bags which were just so good. Toiletries are from Aveda. Slippers, bathrobes were provided. They also provided a lot of fluffy good quality towels - face towel, hand towels, bath towels, in excess of what we actually need.
Breakfast was very good and served in a very nicely decorated restaurant. As what other reviewers have commented, this was probably one of the best hotel breakfast around. There is a buffet section and an ala carte menu (pancakes, waffles, eggs Benedict, omelettes etc etc) with many options for one to choose from. The staff at the restaurant were really attentive, friendly and efficient.
I have made a request for a quiet room (but non basement) when I booked the hotel with IHG which was taken note of. They gave me a room at the highest floor in the attic which looked really pretty with the sloped ceilings and sky windows, which had automatic blinds and can actually be opened. Indeed this would have been a very quiet room if not for the horrendous aircon noise which kept me awake nearly the whole night. Unfortunately we only realized the noise late in the night, so we put up with it. Reported this to the reception the next morning, requesting for a change of room, but the reception officer said he will send maintenance to sort it out for us instead, which seemed fine to us. However, when we came home late at night, the noise was still quite noticeable. So, we decided to sleep with the windows partially opened. But there was considerable street noise as a result and we could hear the tube passing through the station as well till early morning. I think I would have definitely enjoyed my stay much more if not for the noise. I'm not sure if this problem of noisy aircon is a common one. After my encounter with the noisy aircon, I searched and realized that some reviewers have reported the same issue. Maybe the room just wasn't good if you are a light sleeper like me. Having said that, I really like the other aspects of the hotel, and I will definitely like to stay in it again. I paid 150 pounds per night and with the quality room amenities, toiletries, free mini bar and included breakfast, I feel it was a fair value for money. Maybe I will make it a point to email them to make sure I indeed get a room with a quieter aircon next round.

One more thing to note, the lift doesn't go up to level 5. So if you have a lot of luggage or have problems with motility, suggest staying on Level 4 instead.

Room Tip: Avoid attic (level 5) rooms if you have mobility issues or have a lot of heavy luggage as the lift s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SGlobe_trotter
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a perfect hotel for a break in London. The rooms are all individual with air conditioning and it is such a stylish hotel. We thought the staff could not be more helpful and have now stayed there three times.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Indigo Hotels recently joined IHG group with whom i stay 75 nights per year for work. What a great addition! 200m from Earls Court Tube station makes this a great base for work and play. Staff are very friendly, design is quirky yet modern with each Indigo hotel connected through decor to its location and the rooms are spotless and modern with everything you need. Its now one of my 3 "go-to" hotels in London.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed for 3 nights and have nothing but great things to say about this hotel. The location is superb; 2 minute walk from the Earl's Court tube station, which is on a direct line from LHR. Even better is that there are lifts at the tube station, so it's completely step free from the airport, which is a huge bonus when schlepping luggage. Check-in was easy; all interactions with staff throughout my stay were pleasant. I used IHG points to stay, so I can't comment on the price. But for a points stay, it's cheaper than the other Indigo properties in London due to it's apparently slightly less desirable location than the other two (I consider it the best location due to proximity to the tube and restaurants nearby).

Even though I was traveling solo, I was given a room with two (american) queen sized beds, which didn't bother me. In fact, I appreciated having the extra bed to use as storage since there is very limited closet and drawer space (this is really the only fault I can come up with). The bed was extremely comfy and the bedding was high quality. I am a warm sleeper, so I had to turn the a/c on at night in order to make use of the down duvet since otherwise I would've been uncomfortably warm since there was no top sheet (no surprise to me since it's Europe). The bathroom was very modern and clean and had everything I needed. Nice touch having the speakers in the bathroom so you can listen to TV while getting ready. The free wi-fi and free mini-bar were some of the best perks of the room. The mini-bar was restocked daily, which was an unexpected touch.

I ate breakfast one morning in the restaurant and felt it was a decent value. The food was excellent and I highly recommend the afternoon tea. For £19, it's one of the better afternoon teas I've had while in the UK. Room service was also tasty and served very quickly.

All in all, a wonderful hotel and I would not hesitate to stay here again on a future trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank stace11
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed for six nights in April 2014 at this unusual hotel. Previous reviewers are quick to label this hotel 'quirky' and 'eclectic' - and they are not wrong. Read on to find out what I really thought of this hotel and whether its interesting product is right for you.

My first choice, the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, was fully booked. So I decided to throw caution to the winds and go for IHG's 'wildchild' - the boutique 'Hotel Indigo' brand. Compared to HI, it was a bit more, but I do not mind paying for quality. And besides, after so many HI and Hiltons, I really wanted to see what they were all about.

Arriving early on a flight from Bangkok, my first test was to see if they would allow an early check-in (approx 8:30am). To my surprise, the happy and cheerful staff said they would - on condition I flash my biggest smile! I'm not sure whether my IHG Plat status helped my cause, but regardless - within minutes - I was happily ensconced very comfortably in a large ground floor suite.

Just rewinding for a minute: the exterior of the hotel is fairly nondescript, but once inside the lobby, the decor and clever use of select colours is put to stunning effect: fresh, modern, quirky, cool, cheeky (I could go on with any number of adjectives, but you get the idea).

The suite I was in carried on this theme. I loved the huge skylight which was a great since London was gloomy for most of my stay. To one end of the suite was a comfortable sofa in a kind of reading nook. The bed itself was quite high but supremely comfortable. In one corner was another armchair as well as writing desk with a decent sized wardrobe. All the usual amenities are there: tea/coffee making facilities, room safe, plasma TV, iron & ironing board and bar fridge. A nice touch was the free mini-bar which was replenished daily; in addition to a bedtime hot chocolate and story book - can you see the 'eclectic' and 'quirky' yet? The bathroom was a good sized - but did not include a soaking tub - at least the toiletries and bath linen were excellent quality.

Other miscellaneous services worth mentioning are the wifi: fast and reliable (free for certain IHG Rewards members) and the laundry service: good but somewhat pricey. Because I was out everyday - often till late - I never got to experience room service or their in-house dining. But a quick glance of the menu left me impressed.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and any hesitation I had about this brand's unusual format was quickly dispelled.

PROS:

Staff were delightful and helpful (sometimes in a quirky but fun way!).
Rooms are very nice and memorable (especially after many bland 'corporate' type stays).
Location is convenient for London underground system.

CONS:

My sideways facing ground-floor suite did not have views of the park, but this was only a minor negative.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel specifically to those travellers looking for a boutique style hotel with a difference.

If my report and photos helped in your decision-making, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive from you, dear reader, and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank ExLibris76