“Still Absolutely Excellent”

Hotel Indigo London Kensington
Ranked #86 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've stayed at the Indigo Earl's Court before more than the one time I wrote the other review and will certainly stay there again. It's one of those (few) hotels I actually always look forward to visiting.

Location is great a few steps away from Earl's Court tube station and some good pubs and restaurants. Also very convenient to Heathrow airport by tube. In general Earl's Court is not my favourite area in London - but it's good, safe and convenient. There are also some supermarkets nearby - but with this hotel you don't even really need the supermarket for water and some drinks with the free beverages they provide in the minibar. Where do you get that elsewhere?

Staff is fantastic - they always make me feel truly welcome. Whether it's reception or restaurant/bar staff. I'm yet to meet someone at Hotel Indigo who's not truly friendly.

The rooms are of good size - this is London after all. Beds are truly comfortable, the showers are great and everything is clean and working well. While design and decor are always very subjective - I very much like that it doesn't look like your typical chain hotel.

The current renovations they are having didn't bother me at all and what - in my mind - really sets great hotels apart is how they deal with something like a renovation or when something goes wrong. Must say they really did well and did everything they could to minimise the impact on guests. Well, OK, as somebody has said before the tiny teddy bear at check-out was probably a bit tacky and not really needed. But better this way than not caring.

Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night - arriving through a sweaty London, and the hotel was refurbishing so reception was a little cramped but still highly organised and efficient. We were shown to our room and it was a little paradise - great decor - looked like it had been redecorated that morning and lovely modern quiet air conditioning. The localised wallpaper feature is a little avant garde but it was a very well finished room and hotel in general. Great stuff in the room, nice bed - perfectly firm and very comfortable and a lovely bathroom with massive shower. Offered a free drink as a gold member - always a nice touch. The staff even apologised with a card and mini friend to take away as we checked out next morning for the inconvenience of the refurb which hadn't really affected us at all - really worked hard to please, unlike a lot of other London hotel staff. Well done Indigo Kensington

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rlodge5
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights with my daughter. Hotel is nicely done with lots of whimsical touches. Our room was located on the first floor. The building is somewhat of a maze that's typical of London and the room was on the smaller side, though well equipped. It did take us a while to locate the full length mirror which was oddly placed.
Waterfall shower was lovely, the bed comfortable and the towels were nicely oversized and soft.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
The location, just around the corner from earl's court station, is extremely convenient for all London attractions and to Heathrow.
Would love to come back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

If you can get this hotel for a bargain then stay here, otherwise spend £150+ elsewhere.

Advantages:
- Very close to the tube, couple of mins walk
- If you're staying Saturday night, you can pay to park on streets nearby for a few hours (£3.30 an hour) and then it's free from 6:30pm until Monday at 8am, very cheap for this area.
- Looks good
- Friendly staff
- Upgrades are easy to come by and they generally include a free mini bar (quality debatable however, includes Echo Falls!!)

Disadvantages:
- Freezing, even at 30'c on heat the air conditioning was far to cold (think having to be under duvet / in a hot shower in order to try and get warm)
- Really hard bed, to quote my other half "it's like sleeping on a slap of concrete".
- Floors very slippery, surprised there were no injuries
- Noisy, we were in a basement junior suite and you could here every footstep above
- Extraction in bathroom not good enough, floor/walls soaking after a shower, again surprised there were no injuries
- Incorrect information regarding parking, when we enquired we were told that the nearest parking was 10 mins away and £40 for 2 days, from above you can see there's much nearer/cheaper options.

All in all, although the locations good and the staff are nice, in the end we did not have a good nights sleep and that's essentially what you're paying for.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelJunkieMonkey
Brooke H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel.

I am really pleased that the location and staff stood out for you. I apologise for that reception did not make you aware of the parking outside. We recommend the secure car park as there are only 3 spaces outside that are pay and display. The rest is residential parking and guests have received fines and even been towed from this area. However this should have been explained to you and the two options given so I will ensure reception are aware, thank you for bringing to my attention.

It would be very helpful if you could let me know what room you were in brooke@hotelindigokensington.co.uk so I can follow up on the air conditioning and bathroom extraction. I apologise that you found the bed too hard, again we get many positive comments on the comfort of the bed however we can always provide with extra mattress toppers to soften to your preference.

We hope that you will come back in the future.

Brooke

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was in a really great location, near Earl's Court tube station. The staff was helpful, the breakfast superb, and the room well designed and comfortable. The only snag was the bathroom. It was stylish, but had too few flat surfaces to be totally practical. The real issue was that the shower was one with barely a lip between it and the bathroom, and it kept overflowing and flooding the rest of the bathroom. The drains were not fully clear, and it transpired, were being worked on. I figured out that if I ran the water for 30 seconds, soaped myself and then ran it again for 30 seconds, I would not flood it. Irritating, but I would have appreciated some warning so that I did not get all my clothes wet the first and second days (the second because they told me that had cleared the drains). I do think they will fix this, but the staff should have told me. There was construction in the hotel and it is likely that this will be fixed, and most rooms seemed not to have this problem, though at least one other did. I will probably try it again, but warily!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RichardG60763
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Close to the underground station Earl's Court and local pubs this is the number 1 hotel in Kensington not only for business, but for leisure travelers. The rooms are cozy and the "cherry on the pie" is the fantastic breakfast (you can order your breakfast from menu card also). The staff is very friendly! I recommend this hotel for everybody!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my two night stay here from Friday to Sunday. I arrived far earlier than check in time - after a long 24 hours of flying. The staff were kind and understanding and managed to get my room ready early for me and provided me with drinks while I waited.

The room I had was on the bottom level with a lovely big window and plenty of space. Beautiful bathrooms and helpful staff! Definitely chose breakfast included - it's well worth the price and has something for everyone.

I am looking forward to returning soon! Thank you for a lovely welcome to England.

Room Tip: 605 is a lovely BIG room on the bottom level with a large bay window
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo