“Rat in the Room”

Ranked #344 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Lawrence, KS
“Rat in the Room”
Reviewed 18 April 2004

The room was cramped, but clean. I can't believe that we stayed at the same hotel as the other reviews. Any request we had was always met with an astonished, "No one has ever asked that before." Toilet paper?

One evening I was having problems with the internet connection and couldn't get back to the main page with the help number. I called down to the front desk to see if they had it. I was met with extreme defensiveness. "No one has ever complained about the internet before." me - "I just want the telephone number on the start-up screen." them - " Just do it again." me - " I can't. That's why I want the telephone number." them- "No one has ever had this problem." ...
Oh well.

The next request was for an adapter. No luck. We asked about a bus trip and a sightseeing question - no idea. Finally we nicknamed the front desk - The No Service Group and gave up.

Until.... the rat in the room. I screamed as the rat ran about for a while. I called the front desk. Surprise - "No one has ever had a rat in their room." Finally the rat ran out under the door. When the front desk person finally arrived 25 minutes later, he said that if the rate came back that my husband could take care of it. Thank god it was the last night. I didn't sleep and couldn't wait to leave.

That's not all. They overcharged us on telephone calls. The room had one rate, but the desk clerk help up another sheet of paper. He said " See right here." We gave up.

DON"T STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO STUDY THE RATS.

8 Thank TexasIndia
, Manager at Park International Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2004
I would like to add further that it is hard to respond to a complaint when the complaintant does not leave their name, or complain to any staff or management while they are at the premises. I dont even know if this person really was a guest or if the complaintant is another competitor trying to damage my business. Unidentified complaints are difficult to give credence to. Dan Jensen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
NY, NY
Reviewed 14 April 2004

I stayed here for four nights from April 3rd to the 7th before traveling to Paris. Park International Hotel is in a safe and wonderful location, easily accessible to just about anywherein London via the Tube (Glousester Rd.Station). Our room was pretty big relatively speaking and immaculate! The staff are fantastic...on the first evening I thought there was something wrong with the TV remote (turns out I just didn't know how to use a Britain remote!) and one of the staff was up in my room almost immediately to fix it. The staff is also very knowledgeable about directions to popular areas and landmarks in London. Breakfast was more than adequate and a great way to start the day for a tourist. I would definitely stay here again!!!

5 Thank Travel_Lady_NY
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 April 2004

This was the first time I had been to London. This hotel came with the package. Although it has no restaurant, there are two across the street. The rooms were clean and comfortable.The staff was fantastic, more then making up for the fact there was not a restaurant right there.I actually missed them when I left. I would definately reccommend this hotel to a friend.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2004

Based on the good reviews we had read on this site my wife and I booked into the Park International for nine nights from March 30 until April 8. We were not the least disappointed. Getting to the hotel from Heathrow was a snap using the Picadilly tube line and getting off at Gloucester Road. Its excellent location made it easy to tour London by public transportation. The staff was super, the breakfast more than adequate and our room was clean and comfortable. I would stay again and have no qualms in recommending the Park International.

4 Thank John T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2004

I am just back from a vacation to London with my Mom. We were so nervous about booking sight unseen. No worries here! The hotel is excellent. The staff was pleasant. The hotel is clean. My mom is a diabetic and the breakfast met her standards (dry cereal, dried fruits, pastries, deli meat, cheese, breads, canned (tin) fruit and juices. If you are looking for a customized omelet then stay at the hotel and walk down to the street to one of the many eateries.

The neighborhood is excellent. You are on 3 lines and only 2 blocks from the tube station. I will be staying here again. It met all of my needs.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ballston Lake, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2004

I just returned from a week in London and was very happy with my stay at the Park International. The hotel is in a great location - 2 minute walk from the tube! I had a single leisure room. It was small but very clean and comfortable...plenty of room for me. I had no problem with the shower - hot water and plenty of pressure. The breakfast was good and not served on paper plates as one other reviewer claimed. The hotel staff was helpful in many ways...directions, calling a cab to return to the airport, etc. London is an expensive city to stay in and the Park Int'l is a moderatly priced hotel that is well worth it. I highly recommend staying at this hotel. When I return to London I will be staying again. Hope this helps!

4 Thank lastdayofmarch
Dana Point, CA USA
Reviewed 22 March 2004

We took advantage of super low roundtrip fares on British Airways and spent a week in London from the 4th to the 12th of March. This place is in a wonderful neighborhood, on the bus line, super close to the tube station, post office, internet cafe, restaurants, a large grocery store and small drug store. The rooms are small but clean and the beds were comfortable. Yes, the shower was hot and plenty of pressure (no flow restrictors in this place!). Breakfast was simple but filling and the front desk staff were very helpful. Our refrigerator didn't work when we first checked in and literally minutes after we called down to report it the maintenance man was at our door with another mini-fridge.
I don't think you could find a better value in that wonderful neighborhood. There was a towering Holiday in one block away, but the prices were much, much higher. I would recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2002