“horrible”

Ranked #353 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Langley, BC
“horrible”
Reviewed 8 March 2005

I stayed there in 2002. The room were very small, there was hardly any room to move around with a carry on suitcase. The bathroom was small as well. The hotel seems to be composed of 2-3 different buildings so that it was a rabbit warren where one can get lost. It smelled. The staff were mediocre at best. I had a problem with the safe. While someone came quickly, he could not resolve the problem. I did not consider it worthwhile to complain about the room as I was alone for 3 nigths. The price was acceptable but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2002, travelled on business
5 Thank Langley-George

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
montreal, canada
Reviewed 4 March 2005

I have traveled to NYC, all over Canada, Hong Kong and all over China, and this was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in!

I was traveling in London for a week for business, and requested a single room. I went to my room in the basement, with a small basement window looking out into a stairwell off the main street! The room was so small that I could barely fit my bag in the room. I immediately went and requested another room. Bad enough I am alone, but a small crappy window was the only thing keeping me safe from the stairwell on the main street!
By the way, as you see in the pictures, it is a very large and long building, and on each end of the building there are areas where the building has actually been CONDEMNED!!! That is right, the ends of the building are falling literally to the ground!!

Anyways I received an “upgrade” to a room on the 3rd floor. The room was still tiny, but at least not in the basement. Even though it was a smoke free room it stank of smoke.
The first night, as I slept on the most uncomfortable and ancient mattress, I noticed a dripping sound in the bathroom. There was water leaking from the ceiling!!! I told staff about the problem in the morning, when I came back in the evening I noticed no one had done anything and my towels where soaked! I told them again, and came back to my room about an hour later, the problem was fixed, but the lovely repairman had left a lovely surprise in my toilet! That is right there was crap in my toilet!

This place was disgusting! The noise was another issue. The hotel is equipped with the very cheap windows, so you can hear everything going on down on the street below. I had such a hard time sleeping.

It was noisy, smelly, and just plain AWFUL! Do not stay here!

There is a Holiday Inn and the Marriot right next door, please pay the extra $ and go there.

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business
10 Thank leekimber76
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 26 February 2005

I just discovered this site while searching for reviews of Italian hotels, and decided to write a review of the Park International. I must agree that the single room was tiny, and not what you expected after seeing the website. This hotel makes a big deal about it's Kensington address, which is convenient, but it does not live up to the upscale reputation the Kensington area has. The room was clean, and the public areas were decent as well.

I also had the feeling, as others have mentioned, that they treated me a little less nicely because I had pre-paid through expedia. The front desk staff seemed to be mainly Russian or soemthing, and very very cold, as if a smile would have cracked their faces. All in all, it wasnt bad considering the location, if you won't spend a great deal of time in your room.

5 Thank A S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 February 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of January and thought it was excellent value for money. We booked online and our 2 nights in a King Leisure room (#510) only cost 105 pounds. The room was not very exciting but was clean, comfortable and had good amenities, such as a safe and a mini-fridge. The location is excellent - a couple of minutes walk from Gloucester Road tube station, with plenty of shops etc in the area. The Natural History Museum is 5 minutes walk away and Harrods is just 15. One of the nightbuses passes right by the hotel - no. 96 or 97 I think - and we used it both nights to get back from the Leicester Square/Piccadilly Circus area for only 1.20 pounds each! I had breakfast one of the mornings and it was basic but fine and plentiful. One small thing was that whatever cleaning agent used in the rooms smells very strong but hey, a scented candle put paid to that! I've been in London 3 times and it was the best hotel so far so I would certainly stay again.

9 Thank deebee2004
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 February 2005

Our room rate is affordable and yet the hotel is a nice one. We booked through their website and got a room for 40 BP ($80/night) for 6 nights which includes a continental buffet breakfast (cereal,toast, pastries, cheese, ham, sausage, canned fruits, hot chocolate, tea, coffee, juice, hot milk (for your coffee/tea), weekends they have salmon and scramble eggs; free newspapers in a pleasant breakfast room. If you don't book via their website you'll end up paying for this. The room we have was very clean, sunny and it was a good size with 2 twin bedsl the bath room was also clean and good size. The hotel is managed by an American, Dan Jensen. We find the location to be extremely good; you are not far from anything in the town and close to the Gloucester Road Tube Stop, which has 3 different lines (Blue Line which takes you to Heathrow airport, The Green Line and the Yellow Line--look at a tube map and you'll understand what I mean). One block up the street is a Waitrose grocery store which has a full range of food items, salads, pates, olives, antipastos, and if you are like us you'll enjoy buying a bottle of wine and having a meal in your room occasionally, our room had a small refrigerator. The British Postoffice is located near also and there is a CyberCafe across the street. if you have your own wireless computer with you, you can book a 'wireless' connection in your room by just turning on your computer and signing up for $48/7 days unlimited. There is also a drug store a block away fron the hotel. We arrived early and got to pay 10 pounds for early check in. They are in the hospitality industry and if you arrive one hour before the check in time and the room is ready they should give it to you but not here, maybe in other hotels, at least that is what I know since I worked in a hotel some time ago. Here you pay for everything. They need more concierge help; the guy isn't there much or at least not this week; and the front desk help don't know directions. Again they do not show hospitality here. It is a very bad thing not having someone to help you with directions and tips about the city you are visiting. the manager agree with us and told us he will have the concierge available.
Bottom line: This is a real steal in London. I was with a local who didn't know of the hotel...he estimated the cheapest equivalent hotel in London would be 65BP or $130/night. If you want a quiet room, ask for something off of the street. We had room 408, and it was
quiet.

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank Yoliyoly
UK
Reviewed 1 February 2005

Stayed at the Park International on 29th Jan 2005. First impressions were very good. Reception was clean and staff were very polite. Was able to check in at an hour or so early without any charge. Thought to myself that we had got a great hotel. Then it started going down hill.

After reading a few comments on this forum we decided on a superior King as they were larger and in better locations of the hotel. Judging by the size of the room i would hate to see what a standard king was like! The location was over looking the main crossroad junction and traffic lights. I will get on to that later.

The first mistake a made was asking the hotel to book a taxi to the Albert Hall for me as it was raining. A very smart man in a very nice mercedes turned up to take us there and charged us ten pounds for the pleasure. We walked back and it was less than a mile! LESSON-BOOK YOUR OWN CABS NOT THE HOTELS!

I have now established that the junction outside the hotel is very busy. Buses and cars are continualy going through there until about 3am tooting there horns etc.... Then they stop and start again at around 6.30 on a sunday morning. As does the underground which you can also hear. Not usually a problem if you have double glazed windows but this wasnt the case. The windows blocked out no sound at all. I finally resorted to trying to sleep with a pillow over my head to block out some of the traffic noise, even this didnt work. I would definately recommend getting a room without a street side view, or taking ear plugs!

I wont even bother to mention the continental breakfast as there is nothing really to say about it.

Overall the hotel isn't bad. its in a good location for exploring london and is reasonably priced. I would stay there again if need be, but knowing what i know now i would be slightly more choosy with the room locations and take some ear plugs.

6 Thank hammers.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 January 2005

based on what I read I was not expecting much but to my surprise I had an excellent room which was big, quiet and sunny. I paid just 44 pounds using the website and it was a great value with the breakfast included. . I have traveled to London on business and I usually stay in business class hotels, the Sheraton Park Tower, Sheraton Park Lane, and Sheraton Skyline. So I have experience with 4-5 star places and the prices about 150pounds/night. . I arrived on Jan 13 from Boston and got to the hotel around 8am. They wouldnt check me in unless I paid 10pounds for early check in. I had a feeeling that this would happen since it states on the website that they charge an early entrance fee. So I filled out the paper work(they took a photocopy of my passport and they made a credit card imprint) and then I went over to the Mariiott Kensington which is down the block where a friend of mine was staying. He paid around 120 pounds for his room and it was nice room but smaller then the room I would eventually get at the Park International. I went back to the Park International and checked in around 3pm. I asked for a quiet room (room in the back) and they gave it to me. It was on the 5th floor and I was very surprised to see the room. The room was very big (for London), bigger then the Mariott Kensigntons (but smaller then the Sheraton properties), it was clean,had a fridge and two beds (even tho i was traveling alone). The bathroom was clean and the room had a window that looked on a quiet street whcih got a great light in the morning. I had the breakfast the next day, very good, nothing fancy but had fruit,pastires,cereals and milk juices. Also provided free papers USA today and some local papers. My total bill was $98 for a night which included the VAT Tax. So the hotel is a great value and I was very surprised. The staff was very nice and nothing was wrong with the hotel. It is not as fancy as a business class hotel but I was here on pleasure and didn't feel like shelling out a lot of money.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member