“Don't believe everything you read”

Park International Hotel
Ranked #370 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Massachusetts
“Don't believe everything you read”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2005

I read a lot of poor reviews of this hotel on-line, as well as good ones. I reserved a room, reasoning that the poor reviews were from a vocal minority. I enjoyed my stay there. Yes, the room was small (a single), which is to be expected in the U.K. The bed was very comfortable; the room was clean; the TV worked fine; the bath was tiny but spotless, with plenty of hot water; and the staff were very polite and accommodating. Great location in Kensington, close to plenty of amenities, including a very good place for breakfast, The Patisserie, and a lovely pub with super food. And the price was great. So don't believe all the grumblers out there -- and enjoy London!

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank solo_Anglophile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2005

Stayed for 9 nights in June. Booked a "King suite" on-line for the entire time. GBP 149, after conversion $325 per night. Probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Hot, uncomfortable and not well maintained.
One electrical outlet in the entire room, it was inside the closet.
After checking in and going to the room for the first time, I was amazed at the size of the room. I called down to the desk and said that there must be some mistake because I booked a suite. The clerk laughed and said I had the suite.
Never again...

Stayed June 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2005

When my mom and I stayed here last spring, our room was small, dirty, and uncomfortable. The staff were unhelpful and the lobby was a mess. Don't stay here!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2005

Having read the reviews on this excellent website we hesitated to book a room in this hotel, however it seemed as if you could avoid the basement rooms you should be OK.
I had a long talk to the Hotel Manager urging him to give us(2 adults and 3 kids) a family room on the upper floors. Strange enough he could not guarantee it but assured us that we had a "95%" chance(?) to get one of the 14 family rooms on the upper floors. Luckily we received a room on the 3rd floor which was bigger than average family rooms we have had in other hotels around the world, including two double beds and a baby cot. For English standards(which are though below European...) the room was nice and seem to have been refurbished in recent years. Same goes for the bathroom which was small but tidy. If I would only rate the room I would say it was excellent value for £118 a night.
The breakfast was also better than standard English continental. With several different cerials, toasted bread and pastries to choose from. Both ham, cheese and marmelade were available.
The performance of the staff was however somewhat uneven. Most of the personnel seem to be from Eastern Europe and a few from Asia. Some of them were very service minded but some were less. All in all they were "okay, but some problems".
Despite the fact that the terrible subway bombings occurred during our 5 nights stay I would definately recommend other families to book this hotel as long as you make sure you stay clear of the basement level. You will not find better value for money if you are a family of five.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2005

Since I arrived at the hotel, I was embarrassed to be taking my girlfriend along. We were greated with a terrible stench and worse reception service.
After spending a day in the terrible room, I started asking around and the hotels just around the corner were not more expensive.
I made a phone call within Europe without a phone card, which they do not sell in the hotel and was charged more for the 6 minute call than the room's rate.
I complained and the hotel representant who could hardly speak English told me it wasn't their problem and that I should know better as to not dial from the room.
I've travelled around, stayed in luxury hotels and very inexpensive hostels. By far, this was worse than any other place I have visited.
Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

P.S. I never write reviews.

• Stayed May 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2005

I don't know what the upper floor rooms are like but the basement rooms are a fire trap.
For 2 of the 3 days I stayed here, the elevator did not work. So, I had to take the stairs to the reception floor. Finding these stairs is quite a challenge. The corridors are narrow with many doors that lead to nothing but dead-ends. There are no instructions posted on how to escape this maze.
To make matters worse, on the third day the fires alarms kept going off.
Staff was very non-chalant and said they were mal-functioning and to just ignore them.
This is a disaster waiting to happen

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2005

We just returned from London and staying at the Park International. When we booked the reservations, I went by others advise off this page. I made our reservations and then called to ask about upgrading to a larger room. I was told "no problem to do this when you arrive as we always have plenty of rooms." NEVER follow that advise. We arrived to find that the hotel was completely covered in scalfolling and they were re-painting. This is something I had not been told on the phone in making the reservations. If I had known this I probably would have gone someplace else. The hotel lobby was pleasant enough and the staff were adequate. I at times found the lady at the front desk rude in the way she answered questions. When we finally got to our room, it was a joke. I felt we had to walk through a maze to even find the room. Exited on one floor, through some doors up some steps, down some steps, through another door...all with luggage and NO assistance from the front desk. The room was "larger" than most European rooms, but what a mess. The floor slanted toward the wall and the carpet was worn. The room was on the back of the hotel and it looked like a slum. There was pigeon "pooped" all over the window seals, the windows, etc. The TV was small and did not work well.
Though the hotel served a continental breakfast - typical pastries, etc. they were usually running out of items and only one staff member to meet you at the door and re-stock everything. Think twice before booking this one!!

• Stayed June 2005