“great hotel, very good price”

Park International Hotel
Ranked #337 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 11 October 2005

Very good hotel, very clean and confortable. Location is also fine (5 min to nearest tube station - Gloucester Road). Continental breakfast was also a "surprise" and can be considered as good. Good choice in terms of price vs quality.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,295)

Reviewed 20 September 2005

I stayed for 14 days.

Small room? Yes. Everything I needed? Yes - bed, closet, desk, alarm clock, TV, toilet, shower, sink, window (I never used the AC). Single bed smaller than a twin - but I slept well. Room was toward the back - very quiet. Continental breakfast - simple but filling (included with price if you book through their website - check the specials link - I had one of the "leisure single" rooms - price ranged from 38-54 pounds depending on the night).

Only minor problem - the refrigerator didn't work well...but I wasn't there very often to need it : )

Close to Gloucester Road tube station, laundromat one block away, Internet Cafe right across the street, restaurants all over...

I would definitely stay there again!

8  Thank DianaB
Reviewed 15 September 2005

In my opinion the primary purpose of a hotel room is that it should be somewhere that one can sleep. Unfortunately my room was right next to a huge noisy air-conditioning block that made loud irregular rattly-whirey sounds all night. A heavy sleeper might be able to sleep through it, but I couldn't.

The room had air conditioning, but the air-con just recycled air within the room rather than bringing air in, with the result that the room felt stuffy unless the window was opened - making the noise outside even louder.

Other readers have pointed out other problems that I can confirm. The rooms are indeed tiny - but that is normal for London, and there are holes in the sheets - but I don't particularly mind that. If the room had had double glazing and a decent air-con then I wouldn't have had any complaints.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
7  Thank Rob E
Reviewed 15 September 2005

Just spent six days at the Park International and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. My only complaint is that it isn't closer to central London as my husband I prefer to be able to walk everywhere, but it is only a block and a half from the tube station. Our room was large enough by European standards -- plenty of room to unpack (we were gone for a total of 16 days) and still stow our suitcases out of site. The room had a double bed, desk, mini refrigerator, hairdryer, coffee/tea maker, large tv and enough drawers to put everything away. Even the closet was a nice size. The bathroom reminded me of an American bathroom with full shower/tub, etc. My husband may be back in London early next year and plans to stay there again. It is a great deal. Now for the breakfast--no complaints there either. Rolls/croissants/bread, cereal with many toppings, canned fruit (haven't eaten that in a long time, but it was good) meat, cheese, coffed/tea/juice. This kept us going for most of the day. Be sure to book off the hotel website or breakfast may not be included. Also, the rates are better.

5  Thank skippy123
Montreal, QC
Reviewed 9 September 2005

First of all I must say that much of what I have read here failed to be true in my experience. The reception staff spoke excellent English and the breakfast, while nothing special, was fine. The refrigerator and widescreen TV were nice touches in the room as was the air con, especially on a sultry London night. Yet there were still so many problems. The TV and fridge failed to work, the air con was noisy and kept making noise during the night. The bathroom was filthy, with a cracked sink. There were cigarette burns in the blankets. I had arrived late and was leaving early, so I just needed a place to put my head for the night and couldn't be bothered to complain, so I can't say anything for the staff's ability to cope with problems. This was booked on my behalf but I would actively chose not to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 September 2005

i stayed at the park with my 9 year old son for three night it was great value at £49 per night and the staff were friendly and helpful great location for museums and bus to west end stops outside the door i had worries after reading reviews of hotel but they were totally unfounded our room was clean and air conditioned

3  Thank desertorchid
Goshen, Indian
Reviewed 16 August 2005

This hotel provided us with less than $100 per night living at a time when $250 was common. It is very conveniently located, clean, serves a good continental breakfast (albeit the same one every day, virtually), quiet, and pleasant.

The convenience was very helpful to my wife and me. We were able to get on two day-trip "coaches" (read "buses") within a half-block and were delivered to the same address. The tube is just a block and a half away. It is on the very busy, very arterial Cromwell St. Grocery stores, restaurants, internet cafes, Starbucks, all very close by.

For all those negative reviews out there, I just wonder what those folks are used to...or if they've ever really had anything that meets their standards.

This place is a very good value and I wouldn't hesitate to book here again. (We spent eight nights here.)

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member