“The rooms let this place down”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #1,000 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Preston, United Kingdom
“The rooms let this place down”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I left my colleague to book us into this hotel, and upon hearing he had spent £135 I thought it was a good deal... until I realised it was £135 per night. On first impression the exterior and the reception look well kept and modern, that all changes as soon as you get to your room. The bathroom was fitted to a very poor standard, the bathroom was tiny and the painted in window full of mildew. There were a couple of hairs in the shower cubible and the sink wasn't cleaned behind the taps. In the bedroom it was basic, which is fine, but it looked like the housekeeping had been neglected. The first thing I noticed was that the curtain wasn't attached to all its hooks on one side, and there were stains on the walls and carpets. In the corner of the room was the smallest CRT television I had seen since my parents bought me my first set in the 80s. One of the wardrobe doors wouldn't open because it banged into the 'door closer' mechanism on the room door. For the price we paid I wasn't very pleased.

The only thing positive thing about my stay was the breakfast. It was a little slow but they cook everything fresh for you, and you can have your eggs any way you want, and they were perfectly cooked. There is also cereal, yoghurt, juice, toast, tea and coffee and everything else you would expect, so I couldn't complain there. Also they have a 24hr reception so the front door is always open and you can leave your room key with them in case you are worried about losing it whilst you are out. There are also communal irons and boards on the landings which I found useful.

Overall for the money, I would not stay here again as I know you can get a lot better for the money (and less) in this area. If the rooms had been maintained and cleaned properly I would give this place a 3. Shame really, but it wouldn't take a lot to improve the standard.

If anyone is thinking of booking here, I would check out the Wigmore down the road on Gloucester Place. You pay a lot less for a much bigger and cleaner (if a little more floral) room.

Room Tip: Book at the Wigmore down the road, the rooms are a little chintzier but you can pay a lot less for a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
cork, ireland
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is my second time staying in Kensington Rooms. The first time I was happy with the hotel. This time however i was very impressed. The room was much bigger than the one from a few years ago. There were three of us sharing and it was very big and spacious. The room was very clean and bright with a large bathroom. They also supplied us with soaps, a safe, bottled water and a fridge. The main reason I returned to Kensington rooms is the location is excellent and very near the subway. Also Harrods and Knightsbridge is only a couple of stops on the tube. The only downside is that you can hear the street noise quite clearly in the rooms. And on a Saturday night it is loud with taxis, traffic and bars. However I got used of it and the second night it didn't bother me at all. If you are someone who is a light sleeper this hotel might be a problem bacause on both occasions, I have noticed that its a bit loud. Overall I will stay here again but I will definitely book a bigger room again next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The worst hotel experience of our whole trip ! To get to our room we had to get through so many fire doors with baggage a challenge to say the least. Once in our room the bathroom was tiny with no ventilation and a shower that was impossible to move in once inside. Broken blinds, the window wouldn't lock, no fridge & a coat cupboard that was described as a wardrobe. Flaking paint, bodgy plumbing and uneven floors. We discovered this hotel in a brochure, and wonder what the criteria is for hotels to be sold by travel agents. Stay away !!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed here for one night in a double room on a business trip to London. The location is ideal, as it is close to the museums, Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park, but at over £130 per night it was not really good value for money. None of the horror stories of other reviewers, but the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor as the shower screen on the bath wasn't deep enough, and I was walking around in half an inch of water until my departure! Also the only lighting was 2 bedside lamps, and one didn't work, so the room was very dark. That said, the towels were better than some hotels, and the duvet and pillows were fine. I had some difficulty finding the room, as they are not signed up all that well. I had to carry my suitcase up a flight of stairs, as the lift stopped on a mezzanine floor. The room was located just in the side street, but very noisy - the secondary glazing made no difference at all. I did manage some sleep with earplugs. Continental breakfast was OK. I was very late arriving and left fairly early, so it was adequate, but I would not like to spend more than one night there.

Room Tip: I think the double rooms may be more spacious. Someone I work with has stayed a couple of times and...
England
Reviewed 26 September 2012

In principle, a £120 a night hotel near Earls Court should be a safe bet.

But call me old fashioned, but finding body hair in the fresh bed should not be on the menu nor should a shower spurt a leak higher that the shower cubicle and out on the floor.

Poor.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Jim H
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

For £120 for the night, this was not a good choice. Reception staff could hardly raise a smile when checking in. We called our room 'the cupboard at the end of the corrridor'! Bathroom was the smallest ever, dated and in need of a revamp. Traffic noise....yes but that's the norm for a city hotel, double glazing would help. We paid £5 for continental breakfast and were pleasantly surprised by what was on offer. We'd certainly have paid more at one of the local cafes. On the positive side, the hotel is in a good location, near to tube station, museums, lovely cafes and bars. Would recommend Muriel's Kitchen at South Kensington.

Room Tip: Do not go for a budget room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 September 2012

You are greeted by a door that cannot open more than 30%, because there is simply no room. The bed is in the way. If you manage to get into the room, there is no room for your suitcase. If you put it on the floor the bathroom door will not open, no room. Baggage had to be put on the nighttable after removing phone and papers. When lying in bed, you can reach all four walls simultaneously by stretching out your arms and legs. The bathroom is even smaller. The sink is placed halfway over the toilet, and if you manage to sit down you will have to turn your legs sideways and lean backwards at the same time not to bump into the sink. For the males standing up, there is not enough room in front of toilet to stand (between sink and opposite wall) so have to stand at about 45 degree angle. There is no room in the bathroom to use the sink, have to stand out in the room and lean in. Shower is tiny tiny, about 2x2 feet. Because of the small room and entrance, it doesn't appear as if the maid has been able to get a vacuum cleaner into the room. Cromwell Road makes a LOT of noise and windows are old and does not insulate sound. Had a room in a side street, but still woke up about 4-4.30 due to noise. Cannot imagine how it would be if room was located towards the road. Although the 14 inch TV of a very cheap brand and from the eighties might soon be considered antique, the general standard was clearly not top modern. Please stay away.

Room Tip: Stay away. If you want to book anyway, get a room far away from Cromwell Road and make sure not to g...