“Useless - Hotel group seems to 'Walk' as default”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #1,000 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I booked a 2 night stay at this place using Lastminute.com. With London Fashion week starting today, hotel prices in London are way above their normal rates and availability is limited.
As i was just boarding my train, I received a call from the hotel who informed me that due to a 'maintenance issue', my room was not available. I was later offered a room at the SO Paddington. A quick look on trip advisor was not promising but Lastminute were werse than useless and the hotel could offer nothing else. I was assured the room was a better room and so I should be pleased especially as the price would be the same. Given the only reason I booked this hotel was because of its location, a transfer to one of the worse rated hotels in London and in Paddington was not in my mind a good result but I had no option.

Things got even better when i eventually got to the new hotel and was told the same 'Maintenance problem' issue. I protested and was eventually given a room at the other hotel (review to follow, but it 1 out of 5 is a certainty).

Given the demand for rooms and inflated prices, it would seem to me that it would be very easy for unscrupilous hotel groups to either re-sell booked rooms at higher prices later on, or to take excess bookings for the 'Least bad' hotel in the group and 'Walk (google it) people as a matter of course to hotels which coost less and get less bookings.

I cannot say for sure this is what happened, but based on circumstantial evidence, It would fit.
A maintenance issue seems extremely unlikely as this would suggest they actually perform maintenance. My stay at SO Paddington would seem to contradict this.

Basically, Avoid this hotel like the plague, together with SO paddington. Also, do not assume Lastminute will be any help whatsoever. This 'walking' practice is apparently common and a good way of hotel groups overcharging for mediocre hotels in poor areas. Lastminute policy is that no refund will even be issued if alternative accomodation is offered and refused, regardless of quality or promiximty.

In short I am disgusted at Lastminute, and the owners of Kensington Rooms/ SO Paddington.

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel/chain.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sharath S, Manager at Kensington Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, Apologies for the inconvenience caused in regards to the reallocation to our sister property.

I would like to speak to you personally, if you could please get in touch with me on 02075987979 that would be great.

Once again I would like to reiterate my apologies - I very much hope that this experience will not deter you from continuing to choose Kensington Rooms on your future visits to London.

Best Regards,
Shetty.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel with a modern look in the great location, just few minutes walk from everything e.g. tube station, museums, restaurants, post office, even a supermarket (Waitrose). We stayed for 2 nights. The room was clean and the bed was good. The only problem was there was no air-con and it was pretty hot. Luckily the window could be opened.

Room Tip: The best location with free WiFi in public area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am really glad that you liked our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. Comments like these motivates my whole team to go an extra mile.

On behalf of my team, I once again thank you for your wonderful comment and look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,
Shetty

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for one night when visiting the Royal Albert Hall.
Great location for this venue.Large bed but the room was tired and carpet stained in several places.Probably the worst cooked breakfast I have ever had.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The personnel is very roud, not helpfull at all. the hotel is very very old the rooms are very small and needs urgently mayjor renovation!
The cleaning personnel is horribel they trow away every thing that not in the caboard

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Dmitri V
Reviewed 8 August 2013

If only i too had read the reviews here first. Bed size was fine for me n my daughter (12) to share but no curtains at window and broken blinds along with a barely clean bathroom. Thank god it was only one night. Can't fault location tho

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank melly667
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed for one night only at this hotel. The location was good, the room adequate but there was very little else to recommend about the Kensington Rooms Hotel. The pictures shown on their web page were misleading -there was no bar and breakfast was served in a very uninviting room without any assistance from hotel staff. Stayed at a Plaza Hotel the next night and found it to be a very enjoyable experience - helpful staff, well decorated room, a restaurant and bar for a much more favourable rate.
Ellie Carmarthen

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eleri H
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I made the mistake of booking this Hotel before reading reviews. The accommodations were meager at best. The shower was in disrepair. The staff was Rude, Incompetent and Uncaring. I checked out of this hotel early and the Desk clerk didn't even know how to close my bill. I moved my family down the street to the Crowne Plaza and just took the loss, BUT it was WORTH every penny I spent just to get out of this miserable place.

I would NOT stay in this place EVER!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family