“Cramped, stuffy & shabby!”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #1,000 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Qrendi, Malta
“Cramped, stuffy & shabby!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The first room we had was a triple, as we had our son on the 1st night. It was so cramped. The single bed t-boned the double, so 1 person could not get out of the double bed! The area left to walk around the room was so tight only 1 person could move at a time. The bathroom was also very small. The room was on the ground floor looking out on to a dirty shaft. There was also the vents for the kitchen beside our window and they started at 6am & sounded like an aeroplane engine? The next few nights we were in a double room on the 4th, which was slightly better. The beds are very good & there were a few nice pictures on the wall but the rest was very shabby, the same in the corridors. The price is reflective of the location only, nowhere else would you pay this much & get such poor quality. Would not stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
TORONTO
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Address different location then office be aware. No answer thru door bell and phone. Cab driver helped us with phoning a numerous times. Had to wait for staff to come to location after 30 minutes. Only good for location to London city and Tube station very close by. The quality of room very poor. The first night we were placed in a basement, No elevators access and not fun with luggage going downstairs to basement and narrow steps. The room not very clean old, and in poor condition. We finally moved to a room on main floor after complaining. The room a bit better. Not much kitchen utensils, and broken appliances. Only 2 chairs at kitchen table. Sofa bed uncomfortable no linens., had to ask for some and waited a long time for someone to bring them. Furniture old and stained. Our last night had a friendly MOUSE Visit around midnight. Thank goodness we were checking out that morning. Overall, you pay for what you get in London., The only good thing about this place is location with easy access, on Piccadilly Tube line to London City Centre,. Area very nice, lots of restaurants, cafes and supermarkets and safe. The staff are overwhelmed as it is a busy hotel and tried to be accommodating.

Room Tip: Read Reviews before booking this Hotel. The only good thing is area and location!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Modiin, Israel
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed at hotel for 5 nights. I booked for a Standrd room but the hotel gave me & my wife a lower standard on the first night. After I complained I have got the other 4 nights as I asked. I feeled that the management cheated me on the first night becuase my late chek in.
Location is right next to plenty of restaurants and the tube. WiFi worked fair only in the lobi. The beds were awfull. rooms were cleaned often. TV in room was 14" in a low standard.
Breakfast - basic & enough.

Stayed 18 - 23 September 2013, 2 persons.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moti_1000gant
Sharath S, Manager at Kensington Rooms, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am really sorry that you felt that the hotel cheated you. However, i would like to inform you that you were indeed given a standard room for your first night, the one you booked for. Because you were not comfortable in the room given to you, we upgraded you to a Deluxe Room.

Rest assured, this is not our operating standards and I hope this one of experience will not stop you from staying with us.

Shetty.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was really surprised when I checked my dad into this hotel, into a superior double, the lobby was very nice, very shiny and with a nice fishtank even.. when we got to the room, it was trash. Curtains hanging off their hooks, stains on the walls, mismatched furniture. If the hotel questions this, reservation was under 'sterling' at the end of Sept, room was on the 3rd floor. My dad said the front desk staff were pretty helpful, which is good, but the room was a dirty disaster. There is no excuse for a hotel to not re-hang their curtains to the window frame

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank vrlsm
Sharath S, Manager at Kensington Rooms, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the hotel.

I have noted your feedback regarding the inconvenience caused and will give them a serious consideration. I assure you that suitable corrective measures shall be taken with immediate effect to rectify it.

Thank you for the positive feedback on our staffs. I surely will share the same with them.

Your valuable suggestions will definitely help us address areas of concern and will most certainly help us restructure and synergize the processes to the levels expected.

Looking forward to see you soon

Best Regards
Shetty
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I booked a 2 night stay at this place using Lastminute.com. With London Fashion week starting today, hotel prices in London are way above their normal rates and availability is limited.
As i was just boarding my train, I received a call from the hotel who informed me that due to a 'maintenance issue', my room was not available. I was later offered a room at the SO Paddington. A quick look on trip advisor was not promising but Lastminute were werse than useless and the hotel could offer nothing else. I was assured the room was a better room and so I should be pleased especially as the price would be the same. Given the only reason I booked this hotel was because of its location, a transfer to one of the worse rated hotels in London and in Paddington was not in my mind a good result but I had no option.

Things got even better when i eventually got to the new hotel and was told the same 'Maintenance problem' issue. I protested and was eventually given a room at the other hotel (review to follow, but it 1 out of 5 is a certainty).

Given the demand for rooms and inflated prices, it would seem to me that it would be very easy for unscrupilous hotel groups to either re-sell booked rooms at higher prices later on, or to take excess bookings for the 'Least bad' hotel in the group and 'Walk (google it) people as a matter of course to hotels which coost less and get less bookings.

I cannot say for sure this is what happened, but based on circumstantial evidence, It would fit.
A maintenance issue seems extremely unlikely as this would suggest they actually perform maintenance. My stay at SO Paddington would seem to contradict this.

Basically, Avoid this hotel like the plague, together with SO paddington. Also, do not assume Lastminute will be any help whatsoever. This 'walking' practice is apparently common and a good way of hotel groups overcharging for mediocre hotels in poor areas. Lastminute policy is that no refund will even be issued if alternative accomodation is offered and refused, regardless of quality or promiximty.

In short I am disgusted at Lastminute, and the owners of Kensington Rooms/ SO Paddington.

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel/chain.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, Apologies for the inconvenience caused in regards to the reallocation to our sister property.

I would like to speak to you personally, if you could please get in touch with me on 02075987979 that would be great.

Once again I would like to reiterate my apologies - I very much hope that this experience will not deter you from continuing to choose Kensington Rooms on your future visits to London.

Shetty.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel with a modern look in the great location, just few minutes walk from everything e.g. tube station, museums, restaurants, post office, even a supermarket (Waitrose). We stayed for 2 nights. The room was clean and the bed was good. The only problem was there was no air-con and it was pretty hot. Luckily the window could be opened.

Room Tip: The best location with free WiFi in public area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am really glad that you liked our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. Comments like these motivates my whole team to go an extra mile.

On behalf of my team, I once again thank you for your wonderful comment and look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Shetty
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for one night when visiting the Royal Albert Hall.
Great location for this venue.Large bed but the room was tired and carpet stained in several places.Probably the worst cooked breakfast I have ever had.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple