“Most definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #993 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Most definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I had the misfortune to stay in this hotel on a business trip booked by a supplier who were clearly as embarrassed by the state of the hotel.
The venue is certainly convenient but that is where the positive end.
The rooms are small, dirty and poorly furnished, I have never been to prison but I could easily draw comparisons between this hotel and a prison cell. The pictures I have added tell you everything you need to know.
The bathroom is that small you can actually sit on the toilet, use the sink and wash your feet in the shower at the same time which is quite an achievement!
The room I stayed in was exceptionally narrow, I would estimate six feet at the most and the constant noise from a very busy main road will keep you awake for most of the night.
Overall this is THE WORST HOTEL I have ever stayed in and the ratings say it all - avoid!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 429SteveP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Firstly... the price they charge for the service you receive is disgraceful, even for London.
There are several things I will mention, but THE WORST thing of all that topped off an awful stay was to be woken at 6am (and I usually sleep through everything) by kitchen vents being turned on outside my window.. it sounded like a jet plane crashing over and over again and it made my windows shake and I could not block it out, even with headphones blasting music. I went up to reception to ask to be moved for our remaining nights and although they did cooperate, the receptionist didn't apologise or even make eye contact and then asked me to bring all my luggage up asap and wait until 2pm to re-check in. I was like... it's 7am... you can wait til check out time. I felt as though he'd heard this complaint a thousand times and yet they continue to dupe people into a room which they know is unacceptable. I was furious. Granted they did "upgrade" us to what I would consider to be a bare minimum standard hotel room, not a 'superior' room as described. It was a lot better than the first room, however, because it was on the fourth floor.

In general though, the rooms are so cramped that we couldn't fit our suitcases on the floor, and the bathroom was so small I could practically shower, use the toilet and clean my teeth at the same time. The tv's have obviously been bought from a charity store from the 1970s. None of the staff are particularly polite or welcoming, and it has a hostel feel to it.... which is fine, if I was being charged hostel prices. The location is nice, but definitely not worth it. I will certainly not be staying here again. By far the WORST HOTEL I have ever encountered.

Room Tip: AVOID ground floor rooms near the kitchen vents unless you want to be woken at 6am by a continuous t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mistermootie

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My main gripe with Kensington Rooms Hotel is that the internet is mega slow.

You CAN NOT watch youtube.
You CAN NOT load a webpage (ok you can but it takes ages and some pages just won't load it is that slow!)
You CAN NOT send emails with attachments (emails without attachments do send but only REALLY slowly!).

The wifi is only in the lounge, not in the rooms and it is RUBBISH!

If you don't need internet connection and won't be needing to look online for directions or movie or theatre times or restaurants (which will just frustrate you it is that slow). Then you will be fine but only if you don't use the internet at all.

The hotel is basic and clean, rooms are small but of a practical size (smaller than a premier in but still big enough to be functional as a place to sleep).

The staff are friendly and are helpful, I had 2 light bulbs not working and also ran out of toilet roll and the staff corrected both things straight away (in fairness the cleaner should have spotted I only had a small amount of toilet roll left and should have added another one, but once I informed reception 2 more rolls where brought straight up within 10 minutes).

I did not try the breakfast as I have special dietary requirements so brought my own for the trip but it did smell good.

Reception is manned 24 hours per day.

If they had broad band I would have given 4 stars, but no decent internet connection REALLY SUCKS especially as I called and asked in advance to check they did have and was told over the phone they have it in the rooms (which they don't).

I hope that helps, in short if you are looking for a cheap basic hotel to stay at and do not need internet access then this place will be fine for you but if you are like 99% of the population no and need internet then avoid this place until this is resolved.

Room Tip: Thai Restaurant opposite is nice, but Indian restaurant opposite should be avoided it has terrible s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
portsmouth
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a convenient location in west Cromwell Road however the rooms are very cramped and dated and the noise from the street is heard through the Windows all night long.i stayed here for work and found the lack of parking a nightmare and had to park at the holiday inn.the breakfast starts late and is poor.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank holidaybug1981
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The worst experience that I have ever had in any Hotel in the world and I have stayed in some bad ones. We had booked this hotel on the Internet,on the basis of position and cost. Which incidentally was over inflated for their 'peak period'. We paid £189 per night, so were expecting something reasonably nice. We always knew that costs in London would be high, especially in July, but were prepared to pay this rate for the time we were there, thinking that we would have something quite special and also be central to where we wanted to go. How wrong we were. The room that we were first put in to was small, dark and dank. We had to walk sideways between the wall and the bed, there was no room to put our luggage and hardly anywhere to hang our clothes. The bathroom was very ordinary to say the least and when you opened the tiny wardrobe door, it bumped into the extraordinarily large hinge protruding from the top of the entrance door. Consequently, the wardrobe door had a hole in the top section of the door. The carpets in ALL of the hallways and the bedrooms stank. They were a horrible blue/gray color and were covered in stains throughout the entire establishment. Certainly on the ground floor rooms. I would suggest that they had NEVER seen a good shampoo ever. London was experiencing the biggest heat wave (35-39 degrees) that I am sure they had ever experienced. There was no air conditioning and I had to get really insistent with the receptionist to get her to go and locate a fan of some description for us, before we passed out from the heat. As in most of these places, the windows are jammed, so you cannot open them more than a few inches. The first night we were there, the water in the hotel got turned off for most of the night, for some reason (unbeknown) to us. This made flushing the toilet, washing even our hands and showering impossible. When we went to breakfast, there was almost a riot happening in the reception area with people shouting and demanding their money back. All through this, breakfast was being served. Hopefully the staff had obtained access to water prior to the breakfast preparations. I shudder to think otherwise. After complaining about our room and it not being up to the standard that it was shown to be on the Internet, they eventually moved us to another room. This room was indeed larger, but still had an unclean stench everywhere, especially in the corridors of which there were plenty. It was like walking through the catacombs to get from anywhere to anywhere. Down one corridor, through a heavy door and then down another corridor, through another heavy door and so on. I could go on and on, but I would run out of space. I must admit it left a very sour taste in my mouth and absolutely spoiled our week in London. I have no hesitation in giving this Hotel the biggest 'thumbs down'. Location fantastic, but they certainly need to lift their act and clean the place up. I firmly believe they should have given us a refund of some sort. I would never stay there ever again and would advise others also not to. Unless they get it cleaned up and especially remove the filthy stained carpets that are everywhere.

Room Tip: Avoid this place unless you are absolutely desperate.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 2Wanderers2013
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed the one night. Niggles. No bag stand, small bathroom, large mirror which women like, but on a permanent slant, some tiles in bathroom were bodged after drilling, grouting amateurish - though this and great gobs of sealant seem to be a feature of every London hotel I have ever been in, the reception has a smart front ( with a tear in the top ), but the old storage behind lets it down, ceiling stained, top of tap missing, bath towels too small, lack of sockets, I was on the front ( despite requesting a room at the back ), the road is very noisy, the secondary glazing wasn't brilliant to say the least, bath screen dripped on floor soaking it wherever I located it, the sink was very slow to drain and whiffed as it obviously needs the trap cleaning, no decaff tea bags. Basically, a lack of eye for detail all round. Positives. Towels were soft, clean, not over used as is often the case, dried well, hotel is in a good location, plenty of hot water for the excellent shower, the room was clean, good bed, mattress was clean with no stains, all the bed linen was clean and good quality, free wifi in lobby and the rooms, ( you can still use the lobby wifi long after you have checked out ), you can leave your bag with them as long as you like after booking out, enough tea / coffee etc., just enough bathroom bits. Cannot comment on the breakfast as went to Garfunkel's ( see below ). Overall for the price I paid ( £88 ), for it's location, it was fine. I was in a double on my own, ( paid the excess, well worth it ), so had a good size room really, for one. Would not want to pay any more than that. At the right price I would recommend it, would use it again, my stay was positive.

Room Tip: Breakfast at Garfunkel's, just up the road, 3-4 minute walk towards tube. Great service (don'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Pluses - Kensington Rooms Hotel is ideally located. Approximately 3mins walk from Gloucester Station and 5mins from Earls Court. The South Kensington museum district is just a leisurely 15mins' walk away if you choose not to take the tube. Having stayed in a number of London hotels previously, I must say that this one is definitely very decently sized, with a good sized bathroom.

Minuses - In room heater is a little wonky, the lack of a bar chiller or fridge in the room is rather inconvenient. Morning calls come late at times so I suggest you set your wakeup alarm as well. Free wifi is only available in the lobby, which gets rather clogged up when the number of users exceed 10 at a time, which is rather often.

Room Tip: I got a room on the ground floor which gets a lot of noise from the rain especially when it rains. A...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business