“Room burgled whilst staying in the Kensington Rooms Hotel”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #998 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here with friends in 2013 for a weekend - regretfully. We went out for the day and returned to find our hotel room had been burgled.

There was no evidence of any break in, nor was there ever any apology for the incident from the hotel - or indeed any acknowledgement of this incident happening due to the gross lack of security within the hotel. Items amounting to £1,500 sterling were robbed from the room. It transpired that 8 other rooms had been burgled the same day. Again the hotel failed to inform us of this - it was the local policeman to whom we gave a statement that told us this.

After over 4 months of correspondence with the hotel's management and having to get solicitors involved due to the pathetic running of the hotel and dealing with this matter, we were eventually sent a cheque amounting to the loss of our goods - which was the very least they could have done. And even at this point, the hotel still would not take responsibility for the events that took place and responded by saying that loss of goods is the resident's responsibility....failing to realise that "theft" of goods is what happened in this instance.

For this reason, I would strongly discourage anyone from even contemplating staying in this establishment surrounded by its unprofessional, dishonest staff - unless of course you don't mind your valuables being stolen from your room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Customer C, Manager at Kensington Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, We apologise for the inconvenience caused to you in regards to the burglary, I would like to inform you that we are the new management in the hotel now, having said that, this isn't a reason enough to get away with the complains.

I sincerely request you to contact us at customercare@lhcollection.co.uk so that we can discuss your feedback in details.

Your valuable suggestions will definitely help us address areas of concern and will most certainly help us restructure and synergize the processes to the levels expected, Looking forward to see you soon.

Once again apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Kensington Rooms

Reviewed 21 January 2014

On arival was greated with an elder rude staff member. Never saw such a receptionist in my life although I don't travel much.
I never review either coz I am not a fussy customer but this man was absolutely outrageous. He asked me to leave the reception coz he couldn't manage his paper registration

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank val2c
Customer C, Customer Care at Kensington Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for staying with us. I am really sorry to know that staff at reception were not professional enough on your arrival

I have noted the points raised in the review and will definitely give them a serious consideration.
Customer service is the main aspect of our business I will definitely be making changes where required.

I once again apologise for all the inconvenience caused during your stay with us.

Warm Regards,
Customer Care Team.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I did not expect much for the price, but was still disappointed. Upon arrival there was a nasty sewage smell coming from the bathroom and the window could not be opened properly. Do not book a single room! I stayed in room 201 and it is impossibly small; I brought two small suitcases and could not properly walk in the room. No desk, no chair. The carpets are filthy and stained with god knows what. The shower had mould all over. Faucet with low water pressure problem in the bathroom. Had to ask for plates at breakfast. Front desk and cleaning staff do not look presentable (messy hair, wearing sneakers, etc.) and do not greet you upon entering the hotel. The breakfast is good and the ladies serving it are very kind. Comfortable bed and good pillow.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank marnixwessels

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback . All comments and opinions are highly valued as they help us to improve our services.

We always aim to provide high standard service. Some of our rooms are smaller than others, due to the nature of the building, which is a Victorian style, I am sorry to hear that the size of our bedrooms was not to your liking.
I am really sorry about the staff behaviour at reception and I assure you this is not our standard practise of operating our business.

I hope you decide to give us a second chance and decide to return in a near future.
I Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Ive booked a 3-night stay to do some sightseeing and shopping in London. The site and pictures on booking.com was okay, but when i got there, well, it was slightly different :)

The Bads

First of all, walls and carpet has to be renewed ASAP, lounge is very small too.

The room, i had a twin, the carpet again was not very clean, the sheets were okay, clean, two lamps on the headside of the beds were not very clean, dusty and antique. The room is also not very spacey. Luckily we only used it to sleep 8 hrs a day, and nothing else. The bed was not bad, but not astonishing either, a normal 3* hotel bed.

The bathroom... Worst ever!! Its just, you dont want to be there. Very small too, app. 0,8m by 2,5m. Towels were okay and clean, but the towelracks were nasty, everything seemed nasty and very very outdated. Especially joints of the bathroom tiles were not clean and you could see bathroom mould everywhere.

The goods?

For a 3* hotel, the employees were helpful and polite. Breakfast was okay and more than enough for the couple of pounds we paid per day. Its just 5 min walk to Gloucester rd, which was for me the main reason to book this hotel. I paid like 100 euro for a night, two pax.

Conclusion

Everything is very outdated and the bathrooms are not very hygienic, i havent even seen any ventilation in the room nor bathroom. The owner needs to invest in this hotel, close it for a couple of weeks and change carpets, furniture and clean/tile the bathrooms. Its not spacey, but people can cope with that, as long as its clean and fresh.

Hope this helps others
Mu

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mu K
Sharath S, Manager at Kensington Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feed back and thanks for staying with us.

I really appreciate the points you pointed out for improving our standards and I am embarrassed at the same time. We have our refurbishment plans in place and very soon there will be a major change for good.

I hope you will visit us soon after refurbishment and review us about our change. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on shetty@lhcollection.co.uk prior to your arrival.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Thank You.

Warm Regards,
Shetty.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I just spent 2 nights in this hotel which needs a little TLC. Great location for tube and a good selection of restaurants/diners in the vicinity. Hotel reception area needs a facelift and the stairs carpet needs replacing. Our bedroom was adequately furnished with good warm beds and lovely fluffy towels in the bathroom. The only downside in the bedroom was that despite the window being closed the wind whistled through all night long, spooky. I would like to think Santa Claus would sprinkle some magic dust on this little gem of a hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Betty G
Customer S, Customer Care at Kensington Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on trip advisor, It allows us to improve the quality of our services to better meet the needs of our esteemed guests. Please allow me to assure you that this will be addressed with the respective departments to avoid the recurrence.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and in the meantime, if I may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at customer.care@lhcollection.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

On arrival the hotel looks smart and professional in terms of the decor and then you get to the reception desk which gives a scruffy appearance. Files are scattered over shelves and cupboards. Neither of the two staff on reception would inspire you. One never got up of his chair and the other never stopped chewing gum.

Was given the key to my room which was situated at the top of stairs on the second floor. I opened the door to the room and was faced with looking out over Gloucester road and this was with the Ventian blinds closed!!
The blinds had multiple slats missing and many others broken to the point I could sit on the bed and watch the traffic pass along the road.

Bed was fine, but the TV stand and Coffee area did not inspire and looked tacky. the tv being so small that I had to sit on the end of the bed to watch it. there was no chair in the room.

The bathroom was so small that I had to slalom around the sink to either get to the vile shower or on the other side be wedged in to use the toilet. I could not bend over the sink to throw some water on my face as this necessitated the door being open and me avoiding the little shelf just above the sink. To reach the towels I had to stand on tiptoe to pull them off a shelf about 6ft of the floor god help you if you are small.

Once you used the towel there was no where to hang it or leave it.
The noise from the road is considerable and does not quieten down until near midnight and woke me again about 530 am.

Thankfully I only had two nights in this place and this was purely to sleep between site visits for work.

Safe did not work as battery low but considering the room had no functional blinds on the window I did not feel confident that the staff would be able to replace the battery in the safe so chose not to risk using it.

In terms of plugs for charging the ubiquitous mobile phone the only free socket was off to one side and required me to place my phone on the floor. to charge.

As this was a work trip I had little option and this was the best of a bad lot offered. I will never stay here or recommend it

Room Tip: dont go for the room at the top of the stairs on floor two as it has no functioning window blinds
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank twitter72
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I read reviews on this hotel and so I knew what to expect when I got there. It's cheap for London so you get what you pay for after all.

The staff were friendly and it is very convenient for Gloucester Road tube. Plus there's loads of restaurants ir takeaways nearby.

But it's safe to say that there is a lot of repair work and sprucing up to be done here. My room's blind was half missing, the hot water took 2 minutes to get warm and the TV is archaic (bo remote and using analogue tuning - really?).

My stay was fine though. Food decent too.

• Stayed: December 2013