“Hostel for the Homeless”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #999 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Please do NOT be fooled by the nice pictures on the website. This is truly as basic as it gets.
I was booked in for FIVE nights but only lasted 40 minutes because this place is so poor. I still had to pay for one full night.
The old man on the reception was very rude and obnoxious and no one there speaks great English.
My first room was on the first floor but I cannot comment on that room as there was no electricity or lighting working in the room.
I was then given the keys to Room 15 on the ground floor.
I could not fit my suitcase in this room because it was so small. The door practically touched the bed when it was opened. I have been in many prison cells during my work and this room was by far smaller than a cell.
There was no air conditioning or fan in there and the temperature was unbearable! There was no desk space to put a laptop down and no bin in the room as there was no floor space. The bathroom contained one 'hand-towel' and no bath towels.
I asked for an iron and ironing board on arrival, which was greeted like I'd asked for the Holy Grail. It never arrived, but to be fair, it would never have fitted in the room. I would have had to iron my shirts in the corridor.
Needless to say, I got out of there as quick as I could. It was a bit of a nightmare getting my money back, but I eventually did, minus the first night.
I have stayed in some poor quality accommodation, but this was by far the worst. You would honestly be better curling up in a doorway with the rest of the homeless.
If ZERO stars was available, that's what I would be giving.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lee B
There are newer reviews for Kensington Rooms

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a room booked at the hotel months in advance. Without so much as an email beforehand - arrived at the hotel to be told there was a "plumbing issue" and we would get a free taxi to their sister hotel. From bad to worse when we had been given the wrong address and wrong place marked on a map. Ruined our one-day stay in London. Incompetent staff - would not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LauraB354
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We where transferred to the Kensington Rooms from another Hotel in their group, firstly even though we had heard them say they had a room we arrived to find they knew nothing about it. We where finally given a room of sorts it was dirty smelly the curtains where hanging down, we had no hot water the sink was blocked the kettle broken, the electric socket was held in place by a bad plaster job the list is endless. We,phone reception regards the hot water and blocked sink, the a intense man came and poor something down the drain and left, then came the smell it was so over powering we had to stand on the landing. At this point given we had already been moved from the sister building site hotel I had had enough. I went to reception and demanded to get moved to a decent room. We where given another up- graded room on the fourth floor it was a little better than first one but was still dirty and damp smelling. As we had lost 3 hours of our time already we quickly got changed to meet my son who lives in London for a few hours catch up before we left London. At this stage the manager came to the room too see if it was ok,and if we needed anything, I told her yes a taxi back to Liverpool Street at their expense as we had only an hour left to get to our son she reluctantly agreed to this. Then we found the safe wasn't working so rang down stairs only to told it didn't work and had to be locked by master key which we needed to collect and return to reception!!
After a sleepless night ( very noisy hotel with doors slamming and shouting most of night) we ventured down for breakfast, we where told by an older gentleman who didn't even look at us that " breakfast was at 7 am" as it was 7.05am already we got a little concerned. Next a staff member came dashing into the hotel carrying loafs of bread, finally at 7.10 am we where told breakfast is ready, if you can call toast fruit and plain yogurt breakfast along with sad looking cheese and ham. We travel a lot and this hotel would have to be the worst I have ever been too.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bacbvc
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were promised beds for 4. One of the beds for two was a sofa bed that was very narrow. Thank goodness we had kids sleeping there. The TV in the room, which was extremely small, did not work at all and the management did not get up there to fix it. There was no air conditioning, only an oscillating fan. The "free" wi-fi did not work in the room and, even in the lobby, would not work correctly with our devices. The door lock was extremely difficult to operate. We had to haul suitcases up a flight of stairs because the elevator did not go there. The bathroom was not clean. We had asked Travel Bound to be put in The Crowne Plaza London Kensington and they mistakenly put us in Kensington Rooms. Be sure to check your booking carefully. Also, there were people in the lobby who were unhappy with the hotel because they had confirmed bookings and the hotel had no room for them.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. I did not see anything good at this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank William D
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We arrived early to check in and the staff at the front desk was great about allowing us to check in early. However, we got to our room expecting to see a match to the picture and description of a standard double as shown on their website. What we got was a room matching the picture and description of a single - the bed was pushed against the wall allowing access for only one. We returned to the front desk and she seemed confused but allowed us to take a look at what she called a deluxe double. That room matched the picture and description of a standard double. We switched over without too much additional hassle. Still no air conditioning in this room and our room backed up to an alley so on a weekend night we had constant noise from outside through the open window. Alternative location of room would've been street-side with traffic noise. TV did not work. Several apparent leaks in the bathroom. After being in London and staying at this hotel for a couple of days, we were going through our receipts and realized that the receptionists charged us in USD rather than GBP which led to a much higher exchange rate. The receipt said the customer was given the choice and had chosen USD and the choice could not be reverted. This was not true. We went in the evening to talk to reception and the current agent couldn't do anything but said the manager would be in in the morning. We went the next morning and she wasn't there and wouldn't be prior to our checkout the next day. We left the information with staff to pass along for the refund. We have since continued on the rest of our 2 week vacation and returned back home and been home for an entire weekend and nothing's been done.

Room Tip: "Splurge" on the standard double or more deluxe.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Katrina B
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Traveling with family of 4, booked two rooms. Very tiny with minimal walking space around the bed(s), but that was expected. What wasn't expected was no air conditioning. Kids' room had a window, which helped at night; parents' room was interior with no window at all -- they provided a fan but that wasn't great. Parents' room shower would collect water very fast -- had to turn off water after shampooing to let it go down before applying conditioner and washing body. Light bulb missing from a lamp. TV didn't work at all in parents' room; kids' room TV had broken screen so right hand side of TV showed stripes rather than TV show. TV not essential because we tried to avoid being in the rooms, but it would have been nice to watch a bit of news. Complaints led to absolutely no action despite saying they would fix things.

Having said the above, location of the hotel was really convenient to tube, equidistant to Gloucester Road and Earl's Court stops with about 5 mins walk to each meant easy traveling to everything we needed to do. Neighborhood was very nice with nearby supermarket with prepared foods and restaurants. People at reception were very nice but ultimately not helpful in getting things done. Upon checkout I complained to the manager and requested a refund of some of the hotel charges due to the issues. The manager said she would evaluate the situation and get back to me. It's been 5 days and I haven't heard anything -- not even a response to say she can't do anything.

Given that London hotels are so expensive and I've heard that rooms are typically quite small, I would say that Kensington Rooms overall was poor but don't know how it compares for the money to other cheaper places that are located well. I can say that it was not an enjoyable place to be.

Room Tip: I don't think there are good rooms. But, maybe ask for a room with a window. (Odd, I know, as it...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 28 June 2014

First off the rooms's tiny and the bathroom even tinier. The Windows seemed to be closed but from the noise we heard, they weren't closed a 100%! The mattress is not comfortable at all, furthermore not all the lights in the room were working. My friend and I managed to ignore most of it but after we came home at 4 am in the morning (supposed to be 24h reception!!! Also twice told by staff there!!) we ringed the belled and knocked on the door for over 10 minutes!!!! After the old receptionist finally opened the door he was rude, told us we were stupid because we rang more than once, but after we ranged 1-3 times and no one came we rang continually. The guy didn't apologize at all and continued being rude. If we wouldn't have already paid the whole stay we would have moved hotels as this is no pleasure at all.

Please don't book this hotel if you want an ok size of room, nice staff and a very clean room, if you're ok with staff being rude, the room tiny and not totally clean you probably will enjoy the stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends