“London's shoe box!”

Ranked #988 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“London's shoe box!”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We got a discounted rate as my GF had a special rate with work. It was still too much. But then again it is London! Everyone has said how small the room was, I've been in smaller but not by much. The toilet/shower was SMALL. But it worked and the shower was quite comfortable so no complaints there. The bed was very comfy (I'm a big fan of beds!) The staff were friendly too. The breakfast was continental and not great. This is budget London so before you moan about it not being great please remember it's not the Hilton! They probably have a bigger toilet.

PS If you don't like noise take ear plugs otherwise you won't sleep at all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wesley T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I stayed at Kensington Rooms hotel for 2 nights in June 2010. It has a superb location, easy to get to Oxford str in 15 min by bus and the nearest tube station is just 4 min on foot, however for a business traveler like myself I must admit that the room I had was just disappointing. Very small room, tiny bed, no airconditioning and no wifi in the room. It faced the main street thus a lot of noise! I should also mention that breakfast was average. Not a good place for families with kids. Might be good solution for budget travellers and youngsters.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed 1 night at this hotel whilst attending a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. The tickets for the latter had cost a lot so I searched for a reasonably priced 3 star hotel nearby for approx £125.00.

Our superior double room (room 200) cost £123 through a booking agent, and it was extremely large 25 ft. x 25 ft. approximately, with big picture windows overlooking Courtfield Gardens (and a building site opposite where workmen were about). It had been refurbished we guessed 4-5 years ago and was starting to look a bit tired but was perfectly acceptable for the price. Huge comfortable bed, sofa plus 2 armchairs. Bathroom with excellent shower.

The staff are friendly, the public rooms fine although some of the sofas etc needed cleaning or replacing.

Location of the hotel excellent - safe, lots of shops, restaurants, pubs, Waitrose, close to lots of museums, Royal Albert Hall etc.

The main problem with the Kensington Rooms is that when the refurbishment was done, they did not install air conditioning or have the windows double/triple glazed to shut out the noise on what is basically a main arterial road into London from the west. Therefore even with a room on the side of the hotel overlooking Courtfield Gardens the noise from Cromwell Road was deafening and sleep was difficult. For the comfort of guests, the rooms need re-glazing, preferably triple glazing, but on a hot day/night, you would then need air conditioning.

I suppose if you stayed in winter, and at the side of the hotel rather than the front, with the windows closed, the noise might be more acceptable for sleep purposes.

Price wise and for the size of the room, the hotel was fine for 1 night but unfortunately there are other issues as above meaning I am unable to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Finland
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Rooms are tiny and old fashioned, shower was minuscule and bath room VERY basic. TV didn't work very well and all the rooms have simple windows, which means traffic noises from very lively Cromwell Rd surround you. Bring your ear plugs. Breakfast was adequate, service friendly and the reception and bar area tidy. Good location adjacent to the Piccadilly service tube. which means direct tube to both Heathrow and central London sights.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
cave creek
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My name is Betty Talley. I stayed in your establishment from May 25 to May 29. During that time the toilet was plugged, the sink didn't drain properly, there was no heat to my room and the breakfasts were disappointing, especially toward the end of our stay when the choices became more scarce. The night of the 27th I brought back to my room L120 and two birthday cards. I put them all in my black duffle and closed the flap but did not zip it. I finished packing on the 29th and checked out and flew back to the states. When I unpacked Sunday morning, my cards and my money were missing. Please let me know why they were removed from my luggage and if you will return them to me. I will not be a repeat customer if they are not. Sincerely, B Talley

• Stayed May 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This is a nice friendly hotel, staff are very helpful. Stayed 3 nights. Arrived really early in the morning and they got me into my room as fast as possible, very much appreciated. Shower was gr8, bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen but adequate. Beds were comfy and it was very clean and our room (which didn't have a gr8 view was very quiet. Breakfast was very boring especially after 3 nights. Great Location close to Gloucester Tube Station, very convenient for Chelsea Flower Show, Harrods and tourist sights of London.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
austin
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Did a lot of research before booking a hotel in London and knew that rooms in London are expensive for very small rooms. I even saw a picture of how tiny the bathroom at this hotel is but was still shocked and distressed upon check-in. Tiny elevator slowly took us to our floor where we had to struggle with 4 fire doors that were heavy and in hallways so narrow we could hardly get our rolling suitcase to not scrape the side walls. The sink in the bathroom was so small that as you washed your face the water fell on your feet as the sink couldnt catch it unless before you splashed your face you leaned over the faucet. The wall in the bathroom had water splash marks, or maybe toothpaste that was never wiped off the whole time we were there. There was a heat wave while we were there and there is no air conditioning, we opened the window but with no fan the air didn't move. The bed was comfortable and the location is great for catching the tube or buses, there are resturants and shops nearby. The breakfast was ok, yogurt, cereal, toast, ham and cheese slices, juice, coffee and tea-the workers worked hard keeping it all stocked but the area was SO SMALL, that their refilling kept people from having access to the food. You could bring your own computer to the lobby area to use internet connection but it was very slow and dropped us several times and when we tried to Skype- our family couldn't hear us becuase others in the lobby were all talking loudly too. If all you need is a place to sleep and are gone all day sight seeing than this would work for you, if you want a room to hang out in, go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple