“Good Location, Perfect Room, and Clean!”

Sidney Hotel London-Victoria
Ranked #602 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Xewkija, Malta
“Good Location, Perfect Room, and Clean!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We found it easy to find the Hotel it was close to both Pimlico underground station (around the corner) and Victoria station (which was in the same straight road) finding Pimlico station to be the closest, though when checking in we had a problem that at first seemed hard to fix though the lovely receptionist Ana helped us and tried to make it as easy as possible helping us throughout the week as well. Wifi was cheap we only paid 25 sterling for a whole week.

When we got to out room which was a room for 4 (room 106) we were surprised as we didn't expect as much as we had for the relatively low price we paid. We had eight clean towels and a warm room which was all we needed. The size of the rooms was fine as well, and even the shower was in good condition.

Breakfast was fine as we got the essentials we needed, though the staff could have been a bit more friendly and keep a smile on their face, (I am a waiter in a 5 star hotel and I know what it is like in the morning), though you have to make the guests feel welcome and not as if they were a burden. It was hard to break a smile out of them and a some used to talk between themselves rather than working (they spoke a language which I could not understand, thinking it would not make them visible though it made them worse) and once they were complaining about something and it was so visible that we could get what they were doing. They were also strict on the times and at 9 they closed the doors.

We didn't get to meet the maids as we were out all day though we were grateful as they cleaned the room very well every day and tidied it up for us.

When checking our luggage was kept for the rest of the day as our flight was late, and they even managed book us a transfer from the hotel to Heathrow airport at such small notice which we were thankful for as well.

Thus, overall I give this hotel a great recommendation and when returning to London I will definitely be retuning to this hotel. the only mishap we found in the hotel was the staff (not all) in the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank johnpaulborg16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gabriola Island, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

London is expensive. It is hard to grapple with the cost of such a small room, however for the location and compared to other hotels in the area, the value is comparatively excellent. We found the breakfast poor. If you can live off of carbohydrates only I suppose it would be ok. Personally I like at least some protein for breakfast, heck, I would take a boiled egg or even the beans some british are so fond of for breakfast. The croissants are decent but other than that all you can have is stale cold toast, terrible coffee, cereal, yogurt and canned fruit. In the rooms they only have instant coffee. I knew this beforehand so I brought my own coffee and my tiny little drip filter. I am very happy I did. A nice coffee is a must when you are dealing with Jet lag! Despite everything it was what I expected. I knew I wasn't booking a huge 5 star hotel so it wasn't really disappointing (except for the breakfast). We were busy and didn't hang out in the hotel much anyways. We found the staff pleasant, the room clean, and appreciated being able to store our luggage the day we checked out so that we could explore without our packs. The hotel is fairly close to Victoria and Pimlico stations which is convenient, and there are several good pubs in the area. So if you are looking for value and location I say go with it but don't expect a large room or good coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanna K
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

On checking in to the hotel i found it to be a pleasant hotel. However within the first ten minutes our experience was ruined by the receptionist who checked us in. He was rude and refused to pay attention to us as he was runing through the process. We are both smokers and felt we were being singled out when he made a point of saying there was a £150 fine for smoking in the room. After check in we found the room pleasant, clean and comfortable that was until we went to make a cup of tea. When we opened the kettle we found it full of dark brown water with bits of moldy food floating in it. However with both of us working in the hotel industry we did understand that sometimes guests use kettles to boil food in and it is not always an obvious place for housekeepers to check. So i took the kettle back to reception for a new one. The same receptionist (his name was Anil) was there and when he saw me approaching the desk he picked up the phone to i presume make a call. I found this very rude as it was obvious i wanted his attention. So instead of waiting I lifted the lid of the kettle and showed him what was inside. He then told me he would get me another one in the morning when i asked not now he told me plainly he had to get one from the housekeepers. Not happy with this my boyfriend went back to complain and was told by another member of staff who was very helpful that he would find us a replacement straight away. When we returned that evening we stayed for drinks in the bar which were surprisingly reasonably priced for London. The night porter on shift was a man named Pri who turned our experience around. He was helpful and charming with a smile and improved our stay. This goes to show how much difference one member of staff can make as where Anil had given us such a bad impression Pri had made all the difference.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bibbetyboppetyboo
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Compared to the previous night in the Swinton Hotel :-(((, this hotel was revelation. At least had descent bed and tide but small room. Bathroom was small but tastefully decorated and, yes, it had all day hot running water.
Strange thing was the restaurant room - you actually have to go in the basement to get to the restaurant. Breakfast itself was pretty average.
One interesting thing that you will not find anywhere mentioned is following:
If you want to get free internet access you must book hotel room directly from their web site. If you choose trip advisor.com, booking.com or other, you simply will be charged 7 pounds per 24 hours.
Also, city bus number 24 stops right in front of the hotel, so you can plan using that bus.
Now one negative thing; upon arrival, the receptionist will ask from you deposit of 25 pounds for no reason. If you give cash, at your check out, you will receive cash back. But if you give your credit card, than you can expect at least 10 days bank to release deposit. I still wait for the deposit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed two nights with a friend on a girls shopping weekend. The location was good not too far from pimlico tube station and it was quiet street with no noises at night. Our room was small but decorated well with a very nice bijou bathroom. As we spent almost all the time out shopping & dining the hotel served us perfectly. Included in our price was a self service breakfast which again met our needs.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

the location is good for Gatwick express and some lovely local bars and restuarants. Also very helpful that bags were stored safely after checking out until we were able to pick them up. On the negative side, one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in. The double bed was the smallest, hubby fell out when he 'turned over during the night'. Shower also extremely small with a shower curtain that stuck to you. After reading reviews about breakfast, we didnt bother to experience. All in all, dont think I would book here again.

Room Tip: our room was on first floor on main road and we were not bothered by any noise
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

carlisle
Reviewed 4 December 2013

we stayed here last week, my brother in law and my nephew in a twin room, and my husband, daughter and myself in a triple room.rooms spacious, small bathroom, but who lives in their, did what it needed to.friendly staff, good breakfast, very clean.brilliant stay, would definitely stay again on our next trip.my daughter loved the hotel.

Room Tip: triple room and twin rooms on 4th floor were quite big.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family