“Cheap but very shabby”
Review of New England Hotel

New England Hotel
Ranked #978 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Web you arrive, you have to pay for your stay in full before you see the room. The receipt they give you says in capital letters that no refunds are given once payment is received - this got me worrying.

The hotel is shabby (think gaffa tape on the carpets). My room was not very clean with a ripped blanket, ripped curtains and a hole in the wall.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

Firstly they used our credit card before show us the room. Good placed but not recommended. Rooms are not clean. Breakfast only from 8 to 9. Service didn't help us with baggage. Only one lift and dangerous stairs

1  Thank kuatomon
Reviewed 9 October 2012

The hotel has good location app. 10 minutes from Victoria station and it’s quite easy to find. I’ve made my reservation as well as payment thorough travel agency and I was unpleasantly surprised when I arrived. Although my reservation was confirmed I was asked to pay for all nights even though the room was supposed to be paid for. As it was already evening I’ve decided (after short argument with the receptionist) to pay for one night with my credit card and to notify my agency about the situation in the morning.
My room was located on the first floor and it was quite beaten and worn down, curtains had holes as well as some holes were in the walls, the radiator in the bathroom was rusty and I could see some mould on the bathrooms tiles. The carped was so stained that I would not definitely step on it with my bare feet. The blanket was also stained and I couldn’t shake the feeling of being dirty the whole time I was in the room.
The breakfast is totally basic – toast and coffee – and is only served between 8 and 9 p.m. So if you leave early you will just have to skip it.
The whole experience was poor and I would not stay there again – except for the good location the hotel has nothing else to offer.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here in June 2011 and it was horrible. The room was dirty hair all over the sheets stains on the Sheets and pillows, carpet was very very dirty, we stayed for 3 days and not once did they change the sheets or vacuum the room. Some of the staff was staying in the room next to us and they were very noisey. The breakfast was horrible, I saw the staff cleaning the dishes with a dry rag just wiping off the food no soap or water.
DO NOT STAY HERE YOU WILL BE SORRY.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank flemmer1
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Because of a change in travel plans we stayed at the New England Hotel for a couple of days after an absolutely amazing stay at Morgan House (see below) We arrived about 10AM, because we were changing hotels our room of course was not ready, but they wanted payment - then we could leave our bags for the day. Because the Hotel was recommended in several guideboooks we thought it would be a fine Hotel. The place is filthy, bathroom,curtains, carpets, bedspreads and blankets stained and dirty, thankfully the sheets were clean, rolled the sheets over the blanket to avoid having the blanket touch our necks. Stairway carpets are taped together, breakfast - toast, cereal, cookies, coffee, tea - travelled for 3 weeks in England and France, only place that charged extra for Wifi. Think again if you're considering staying here. We have made four trips to Europe, don't mind the small rooms etc, we're in Europe, but there is no excuse for a dirty, rundown Hotel. Perhaps this Hotel has changed ownership, whatever, Guidebooks need to do a check of this location and remove it as a recommendation as it is a reflection on the Guidebooks.

Room Tip: Try Morgan House on Ebury St. same vicinity on the other side of Buckingham Palace Rd, clean, polite...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alice F
Reviewed 15 July 2012

It is hard to find a reasonable place to stay in London for the weekend & thank goodness we weren't in the room to much.
I was disappointed in my hotel experience, because the place was dirty. The curtains hadn't ever been washed by the look of it and had dirt sitting on the creases and crevaces. The comforter needed replaced - stains. The rug also had stains on it, although vacuumed this whole room needed a real good thorough cleaning. Yes, the room was small & bathroom, too (stand up shower).
The plus - tea and toast for breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room was above the basement breakfast room & burnt toast smell wafted into our room when we...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BayAreaKMK
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The room I was in was very small, and the bathroom tiny. It wasn't very clean either. Definately not worth the £100 a night I paid

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business