“Do not set expectations high”
Review of New England Hotel

New England Hotel
Ranked #984 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked this hotel after striking out on several others in the neighborhood. It is pretty basic. Room was tiny, it had a tattered dirty curtain on the window and the furnishings were tired. The bathroom was adequate, but barely.

There is a lift, however it lands between floors so you have to use stairs to go up/down the 1/2 floor to reach it.

Breakfast consists of 2 pieces of toast, instant coffee, a couple of cereals served by a rather unhappy attendant.

It is a reasonable value by London standards (read, expensive for what you get)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnnyFry1

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I was going to give this hotel a big zero but then I thought I must manage my expectations.
If you are really picky and /or want to impress your partner then this is a definite NO.
On the other hand if you want a low cost and a very convient hotel in the centre of London then this is not a bad choice.
The staff were helpfully especially Sumatr the very knowledgable night manager and George ,the guy who cleaned the rooms.
Advise, do not go looking for dirty curtains and carpets ,they are there, believe me.
I paid UKP 155 for two nights including wi-fi and tax for a single room which was tiny, 1.7 meters wide, really!
But hey ........it's London, manage your expectations!

Room Tip: Manage your expectations!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed for three nights. Pretty fairly priced for what we got. Room was tiny. We had to skim the walls to pass each other. Badly in need of a referb. Curtains were filthy & bedspread was threadbare. However, the room was cleaned & beds were made every day. Guy on reception was pleasant & quite helpful but, if you expect to be served breakfast with a smile, you'll be disappointed

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was torn between average and poor. I initially went for average on the basis of location - a few minutes walk from Victoria station and also that we were there in July when it was really hot and there was a fan in the room. However, after writing my review I changed my mind and went for poor.

Aside from the location and the provision of a fan, everything else lets this place down. This place is very run down and they could really do with hiring a handyman or two for a few months. The hallway and rooms were shabby, the carpets were ripped, walls were dirty and the curtains looks like they had been hanging since the place was built! There is a lift which is 1 plus point amongst the negatives but I didn't really trust it as I thought if they can't maintain the rooms which people are paying for I doubt that they are paying for lift maintenance!

A "continental breakfast" was included but do not be misled - this comprises tea / coffee, cereal, toast and biscuits (fig rolls and fruit shortcake - weird!) - no fruit, no yoghurt, no pastries, cheese, ham, bread, etc as you would expect in a continental breakfast. I could also see in the kitchen that the cereal was supermarket own brand as were the biscuits which they were trying to pass off as the real thing by sticking the packaging of the genuine articles on the clear containers they have them in - could probably have trading standards onto them for that.

The customer service also leaves a lot to be desired - 1 guy who we dealt with was lovely and really helpful (including bringing an iron and ironing board to the room so we could iron my boyfriend's shirt) but his colleagues really let the side down. I was pushed out of the way by the guy serving the tea / coffee / toast on our second morning - with not so much as an apology, he threw our tea/coffee/toast at us and then grunted at us when we checked out and asked if we could leave our luggage with them and collect it later in the day.

We paid £200 for two nights - the same as we recently paid for 2 nights at a 5* hotel just outside Belfast with spa and leisure facilities. Yes I know it is central London and you are paying for the location but the two hotels are miles apart in terms of quality and value for money! Added to the damage was the fact that I had stayed at a hotel across the road with friends recently for half the price which was fantastic so I was expecting this to be good given that we were paying twice the price - unfortunately the one across the road was fully booked for the weekend my boyfriend and I were in London.

In summary, I would not recommend the New England Hotel and certainly will not be back near the place.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room - choose one in another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed by this hotels value compared to its price. Very expensive for what you get. Old, dated, dirty. Bed covers look dirty and are falling apart. Bathroom and room was dirty and dusty. Noisy as its on a main road - been up since 5am. Breakfast served by a very angry looking man - everyone in room seemed annoyed and another lady even commented on his attitude. He defnitley does not like his job!. Neither him or the reception man greeted us when we said hello. Breakfast is limited to tea, coffee, cold croissants and soggy toast. I feel completely ill as Ive spent to much money on this hotel - I feel its not even worth £30 a night - its backpacker/hostel style. On the up towels and sheets were clean. Will NEVER stay here again - not recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

I needed a centrally located place to stay in London. Room was a small single. Room was tiny. A lot of road noise. No space to put luggage. No safe. Breakfast consisted of coffee. Toast and juice with some cereal. Had to pay for wifi. Stairs extremely narrow.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed in July, during the most tourist season. Almost all London was fully booked and very expensive, but the price in this hotel was surprisingly low (for London)!
Hotel is small and cozy. Our room was ok. Not big, but when you travel for what to have big room if you have a lot of trips around the city and other activities outside. So we are quite satisfied with the room.
Breakfast was with toasts, müsli, buns and cookies, jam, butter, tea, coffee and juice. As for me – too much bread.
Location is just perfect, especially for such price – near Victoria central station from which you can get to airports and other cities. To Buckingham Palace - 5 minutes walking, to Parliament – 10 minutes.
Staff was good and very helpful. Definitely I would stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple