“Overnight stay in London with a baby and a toddler”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #897 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Carlton. I booked on last minute.com and asked for a room that I didn't have to climb a lot of stairs to get to as I was travelling with a baby and a toddler and a puschair. When I arrived the staff were very friendly and helpful - helping me get up the 3 steps and into the front door. I had booked a double bed, but was offered a triple room that was bigger. Only the triple was up stairs, so I opted for the ground floor double. The room and bathroom were very clean, which as a parent was probably my main concern.The window looked out on to Belgrave Rd, but in the morning I didn't find the traffic too bad. We didn't stay for breakfast in the morning, so I don't know what that was like. For the price, the hotel was really good and I really liked that the staff were nice. Next time I need to book a hotel in this area of London I will try booking a room here first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you don't like lots of steps and the staff will try to acc...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kabliverpool
There are newer reviews for Carlton Hotel

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I booked this hotel because it was within walking distance of where I was working for 2 days, and was VERY CHEAP.

I hadn't read the reviews on here before bookings, and probably wouldn't have booked if I had.

I paid £30 for the room, and as long as the bed was clean and the shower was ok, then that was all I was expecting.

However.... the room I had was large with double and single beds. On the top floor, and no elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage, then probably quite tricky. Small ensuite, all newly done. Shower (with base and shower curtain unlike a lot of the other reviews) was all newly tiled. Good lights. For £30 in Central London, with a good shower, clean bed and large room, this was VERY VERY GOOD VALUE.

Walls between rooms seem really thin, but fortunately the one person in the next room wasn't noisy.

The location is great. Shaz on reception is very helpful. I didn't have breakfast there (cereal, toast on offer) but they looked after my case all day and didn't charge.

It's not a luxury hotel and the stairs/corridors look tired and a bit shabby, but for £30 it was much much better than I expected.

Room Tip: I had room 218 at the very top. Front facing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I know you get what you pay for but my daughters uni student accomation is a better quailty than this.They pretend not to understand if you complain about anything!!! The room was old and dated. We were in the basement and had to walk past a building site get to our room.Fire doors were proped open and spare doors left in corridoors to squeeze past. Thank god there was no fire!!! Bars on windows and no lock on window.The bathroom was small and if have a shower the whole floor gets wet and you can understand why everything including the door is rotting!! Didnt even bother with breakfast! I have stayed in better tents than this place! I didnt have a choice but to stay there but never again will i go for the bit cheaper again! My daughter and i were very disappointed! Should it even be taking customers while so much work going on?? 2 stars NOT!!!!!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2013

From start to finish the staff was rude!!The bedcovers was dirty,EVEN THE MUG!!!!!!even thought it was a double room we only had 1 mug for a hot drink!!!!(glad there was only 1 mug YUK!)The toilet area had a shower but when you have a shower the water goes everywhere!!!!!(no shower tray or curtain)workmen banging&planks of wood left on the stairs!Room was cold at night&the curtains blowed cause the windows where crap!breakfast between 8-9.we came down at 8:45am&got told off for being late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if you can find somewhere else then please do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Location is excellent, breakfast is nothing to write home about but the positive side to this is we didn't pig out, Cleanliness was also excellent as was the whole staff. At the time of our stay the were renovating the old rooms.
Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 17 November 2012

the localisation is good, close to buckingham, but the night is awful !! Every 10 minutes you hear a plane above the hotel, the mattress is bad. And I don't know if I can call this a bathroom because it was small, the floor of the shower was the toilets, it's like the bathroom of a camping-car. The break-fast was basic, toast and jelly with tea and coffee. Not a good experience for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family