“Perfectly acceptable if the price is right”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #898 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Booked at the last minute at a very reasonable price, room was clean and freshly decorated although shower room was very small, my room was on the top floor and there is no lift so it was quite a trek up many flights of stairs. Left before breakfast started so can’t comment on that but for the price paid and considering its central location I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Took my parents and my sister to London as the beginning of a trip that ended at Edinburgh. First hotel was Carlton Hotel. From November 11th 2012 to the 30th. Just arriving 1st prob. We requested in advance when booking adjacent rooms as my parents do not speak English and needed help in many senses, they were not.
Surprisingly about 20min after taking the room and organize all our stuffs 4 men (from East Europe) came to our room saying that they needed the room as they were at work and wanted to access to the back yard through our room. I told them we were leaving and they said (hardly understandably) "no worries ...leave it opened"...didn´t want to argue with them, so rushed to reception again. Unfortunately the girl there seemed not worried at all and tried to support the worker, who, by the time, had also arrived there. After no option by their side I suggested that they could do that next day for what I would pack our stuffs again. They agreed and said they would pass the message. When we came at night I had to remove lots ( when I say lots I mean it) of blond, long hairs from the blankets,(none of us fitted that description, we all have black short hair),nauseating. threw the blankets to the floor. Next morning we went for breakfast, was ok, fare enough, the girls at the dining room didn´t speak English, but were understandable and educated, no prob. with them. When leaving, we commented at reception that the room was available for the workers. Nobody knew about the matter. We returned at midday for a shower, they wouldn´t let us in, as they were still at work (we managed to have it ready at 13:00 when leaving in the morning ). After waiting till 14:00 we had clearance. On the shower I noticed that the treatment soap, which was the only thing we left behind when packing, wasn´t there anymore. Moreover, at my parent´s room the heater didn´t work. One thing after the other...Honestly, I´ve never been (hope I´ll never be) in such a similar dump. Only positive thing is the location (not their merit..), about 10 min walk from Victoria Station and many places of interest. Although they say the opposite, on this occasion it wasn´t that cheap, even more when you have such an offensive service. Been many times to London and all hotels and B&B I´ve been in, were far far better than that cave. Please travelers, pay attention to the TRAVELLERS PICS instead of the PROFFETIONAL ones...a picture is worth a thousand words. Finally, to make the long story short, I would say: Hotel (?): extremely dirty, unhealthy and obsolete. Staff at reception (3 different ones) were careless, sleepy and unprofessional. Wouldn´t be a bad idea having more English speakers staff, or, what about in case of an emergency evacuation?. Fortunately the rest of the trip was excellent. Please everyone run away from this pigsty. PS: We reserved through booking.com / rn:278348380

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ramon C
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The location together with hotel made our visit perfect. Would highly recomend this hotel
The local area has a lot different eating places and transpotation is very good.
Many seeing places are a short walk from the hotel. So you save a lot on taxi. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I arrived late in London, with very heavy bags. I was told there was no lift. Luckily the guy at the desk helped me, carried one of the bags up the very narrow stairs. Interestingly, I had to go through a door marked "Fire Door - Alarmed - EMERGENCY USE ONLY!" I did have WIFI, that was good.

The room was basic, I can live with that. Given its location on a main street it was noisy, drunks brawling on the street and sirens wailing.

Breakfast was a bit of a drama. Stocks of food were running low, and the cutlery was gone. When I politely asked the Spanish lady she got flustered and said there were only the two of them in the kitchen. So I sat with my rather sad fried eggs, not made with love, and waited until she came with the cutlery after about five minutes. Not the kind of place you can savour breakfast.

In a word a rip-off.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This poor place needs a new owner. All Indian staff, very rude. No Internet in room as advertised, they direct you to a laptop in a stairway. Charged us 5 pounds for wifi in room. Women in breakfast area does not speak English, and if you ask her a question, she just screams "No, no" at the top of her lungs. Somehow, erroneous charges for Domino's pizza began showing up on our credit card right after we used it to pay for the room. The breakfast: instant coffee, stale cornflakes and 2 slices of toasted white bread. You also get a shot glass of orange juice. Room itself wasn't bad, but below ground.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 188Pelican12
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I was just glad to be able to get a room near the Victoria where I was working.  Budget Hotels were asking 240 a night.  So I booked this hotel via Trip Advisor,read 3 stars and 140 a night - what a bargain.
What I didn't realise until later that the 3 stars were for Bed & Breakfast accommodation not Hotel status.
The outside of the hotel is a bit flakey and needs a simple makeover.  Reception and checkin was fast and easy.  But when I was told I had a basement room, I thought, here we go again, damp smells, toilet blockages, fire and safety concerns etc etc.  However, I was really pleasantly surprised when I opened up my room, it was a monster.  A 4 bedded family room, well laid out and nice shower room and toilet.  All very well decorated and in a great state of repair.  No damaged or worn furniture.  But wait for it.  There was a door at the end of the long room and it opened up into a private walled garden area.  It was exclusive use for the room.  It wasn't a proper garden as it wasnt being maintained, but I took the chair from my room and sat outside (there was an old table there) and worked on my laptop and iPad.  Each evening was really warm, so it was great to come back after work and relax outside.
Breakfast buffet was served in a room in the basement, so 10 seconds from room to breakfast table - what a boost.  Breakfast was what you expect and included in the price.
The room key card also operated the outside door after 9pm.
Thee ONLY downside I found was a small screen TV in the room.  Okay, there were two of them because of the size of the room, but it would have been good.
The shower had bundles of power.
Kettle and tray of coffee and tea etc.
You pay 5 per stay for the wifi access, but I never managed to get it working due to the wrong key being supplied.
I still cant get over the garden area so thought I would mention it again.
Despite paying double the room rack rates, I have to compare it to other hotels in the general vicinity and it beats the Comfort Inn hands down.
Staff are very pleasant and the location is ideal for the local restaurants and pubs.  So would definitely stay there again, and probably will.

Room Tip: get the basement room with the garden access if you can afford it