“Budget hotel for an overnight stay”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #905 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Budget hotel for an overnight stay”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Considering that I paid £35 for a single room, I was not expecting the peaks of luxury. Indeed, having read the mixed comments on the review websites I did wonder what I was going to be letting myself in for, but then, for one night........! On arrival, a pleasant and helpful receptionist, speedy check-in and up to the room. Not huge, but absolutely adequate, clean, fresh and tidy. Fuctional toilet and 'wet' room - no separate shower cubicle which meant that artistic pointing of the shower attachment made the whole room wet! Entertaining but workable. Adequate if not a bit unimaginative breakfast. Overall though, it did what was needed. I was comfortable, well looked after by the staff and felt that I had got a great deal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
derbyshire
Reviewed 12 January 2014

we stayed here for two nights in a shared room for 3 adults bed and breakfast for £250.00 so very reasonably priced. Room very basic but for a base just what we needed. Reception staff very pleasant which is more than can be said for the staff serving breakfast very abrupt almost curt and definitely unapproachable!! breakfast was very basic just one choice of cereal then hot food but only eggs beans toast and toamatoes bacon and sausage but substantial enough. hotel fantastically based for kings cross indeed we could see the station entrance from our room and theres a couple of 24 hour macdonalds very close as well!! would i use it again?? yes if you want an inexpensive no frills base.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Upon check in my husband and I didn't have a decent experience from the start. The front desk attendant was rude right away once he asked if we were sharing a double bed, saying, "You know you're sharing a double bed ?" We both answered yes thinking nothing of it. My husband is 20 years older than me and sometimes people think he's my father perhaps, but we've encountered this before and never think anything of it. Except this time the attendant became exasperated with us for the few questions we asked, i.e. where is the nearest tube stop, is there a small market nearby for minor favors and are there any codes or password necessary for WIFI connection. Hesitantly he answered refusing to even look at us in the face. We began to worry but decided then, perhaps he was having a bad day and or maybe it was just him and other attendants might be more pleasant. Unfortunately we couldn't stay any longer to find out. After realizing there is no lift, he said our room was on the first floor, but actually it was five flights of stairs on the third floor. As soon as we opened the room the smell of cigarette smoke overwhelmed our noses. We thought to open the window to air it out a bit which helped very little. Next we needed to turn on the lights, we had no idea how to do so. We are from America and weren't used to sliding your room key into an electric slot on the wall. We tried to call the front desk from the room and realized the telephone didn't work. Down the three flights of stairs, back to the desk for information on how to get the lights on. Again, the attendant was put out by our question and heavily sighed as if it were such a problem for him to waste his breath with direction. Back up the three flights of stairs. The room was much less the size of Paris Hilton's closet and the bathroom (which is an extra cost if you like an in-room toilet) was the size of a modest closet in a middle-class home, included the shower...think shower on an overnight train--you're showing with the toilet ! OK, this is interesting we thought. We were staying a week in London and had to decide if this would accommodate us for the entire stay. We decided to give it a go. Back down the stairs we were reluctant to ask the front desk attendant for directions to the tube or call for a taxi but thought the better of it and asked anyway. He became disgruntled and said he had never had so many questions from anyone on the first night. That was the moment I lost patience with him. I asked if he had a problem with us for any reason. Sharply, he answered no ! I don't have a problem with gay people at all. Why would that come up in the first place ? That's when I said you're prejudiced aren't you ? He repeated the question, "I'm prejudiced !?" I replied, yes I believe you are. I said you have been nothing but rude to us since we checked in and he gave me an 'oh contraire' answer saying I am and he doesn't have any issues. That's when we marched back up the three flights of stairs to our room and phoned American Express to cancel any charges from this hotel. I had to explain we felt unsafe and uncomfortable staying there because the owner of the hotel is obviously homophobic. I no longer entrusted anyone working in that hotel to have any possible access into our room with our belongings etc. Amex was very agreeable, apologizing for our experience and said not to worry at all and even offered more coverage for us if we need emergency care etc., very affilable and willing to provide any services they could. After our conversation with Amex my husband went to the attendant to inform him we are leaving his hotel. The attendant said we had to pay for that night and it's their policy to charge for an additional night saying it was because of the inconvenience to them. We made an agreement from that point on not to speak with this individual any longer. We marched three or doors up the street to the Holiday Inn Express and booked our week stay with them, by the way they are fantastic and so was the room (read the review). When we returned to The Carlton for our luggage. I informed the attendant because I did not feel safe in his hotel and because he was so incredibly rude an unaccommodating we would not be paying for a single night. He belligerently began yelling at me and started to walk out from the behind the desk in my direction. At that moment I said I am phoning the police right away. He suggested I do so and my husband calmed me and we left as quickly as we could. Obviously this is the worse situation anyone could be in. I strongly recommend you find another hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank gayboy32

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Stewarton
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Booked at the last minute at a very reasonable price, room was clean and freshly decorated although shower room was very small, my room was on the top floor and there is no lift so it was quite a trek up many flights of stairs. Left before breakfast started so can’t comment on that but for the price paid and considering its central location I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
San Cristobal de La Laguna, Spain
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Took my parents and my sister to London as the beginning of a trip that ended at Edinburgh. First hotel was Carlton Hotel. From November 11th 2012 to the 30th. Just arriving 1st prob. We requested in advance when booking adjacent rooms as my parents do not speak English and needed help in many senses, they were not.
Surprisingly about 20min after taking the room and organize all our stuffs 4 men (from East Europe) came to our room saying that they needed the room as they were at work and wanted to access to the back yard through our room. I told them we were leaving and they said (hardly understandably) "no worries ...leave it opened"...didn´t want to argue with them, so rushed to reception again. Unfortunately the girl there seemed not worried at all and tried to support the worker, who, by the time, had also arrived there. After no option by their side I suggested that they could do that next day for what I would pack our stuffs again. They agreed and said they would pass the message. When we came at night I had to remove lots ( when I say lots I mean it) of blond, long hairs from the blankets,(none of us fitted that description, we all have black short hair),nauseating. threw the blankets to the floor. Next morning we went for breakfast, was ok, fare enough, the girls at the dining room didn´t speak English, but were understandable and educated, no prob. with them. When leaving, we commented at reception that the room was available for the workers. Nobody knew about the matter. We returned at midday for a shower, they wouldn´t let us in, as they were still at work (we managed to have it ready at 13:00 when leaving in the morning ). After waiting till 14:00 we had clearance. On the shower I noticed that the treatment soap, which was the only thing we left behind when packing, wasn´t there anymore. Moreover, at my parent´s room the heater didn´t work. One thing after the other...Honestly, I´ve never been (hope I´ll never be) in such a similar dump. Only positive thing is the location (not their merit..), about 10 min walk from Victoria Station and many places of interest. Although they say the opposite, on this occasion it wasn´t that cheap, even more when you have such an offensive service. Been many times to London and all hotels and B&B I´ve been in, were far far better than that cave. Please travelers, pay attention to the TRAVELLERS PICS instead of the PROFFETIONAL ones...a picture is worth a thousand words. Finally, to make the long story short, I would say: Hotel (?): extremely dirty, unhealthy and obsolete. Staff at reception (3 different ones) were careless, sleepy and unprofessional. Wouldn´t be a bad idea having more English speakers staff, or, what about in case of an emergency evacuation?. Fortunately the rest of the trip was excellent. Please everyone run away from this pigsty. PS: We reserved through booking.com / rn:278348380

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ramon C
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The location together with hotel made our visit perfect. Would highly recomend this hotel
The local area has a lot different eating places and transpotation is very good.
Many seeing places are a short walk from the hotel. So you save a lot on taxi. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I arrived late in London, with very heavy bags. I was told there was no lift. Luckily the guy at the desk helped me, carried one of the bags up the very narrow stairs. Interestingly, I had to go through a door marked "Fire Door - Alarmed - EMERGENCY USE ONLY!" I did have WIFI, that was good.

The room was basic, I can live with that. Given its location on a main street it was noisy, drunks brawling on the street and sirens wailing.

Breakfast was a bit of a drama. Stocks of food were running low, and the cutlery was gone. When I politely asked the Spanish lady she got flustered and said there were only the two of them in the kitchen. So I sat with my rather sad fried eggs, not made with love, and waited until she came with the cutlery after about five minutes. Not the kind of place you can savour breakfast.

In a word a rip-off.