“Great Location, Great Price”
Review of Amsterdam Hotel

Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #576 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Austin, Texas
“Great Location, Great Price”
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We spent two nights at this hotel in April and really enjoyed the location and the room. The room would be a little hot during the summer as it does not have air conditioning. The staff were very helpful with the exception of a new desk clerk that tried to charge us again for the room (paid in advance). As we all have a rocky start to a new job--we weren't too upset.

• Stayed April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 May 2008

After a disaster with the hotel down the road (York Hotel - don't stay there!) we arrive to take our twin room.

We were lucky enogh that they only had a suite left but at a decent price. It may not be the most modern of hotels but it's clean, the staff are great and it's got soem character!

If I need a hotel round there for the price I'd definately stay again.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Found this jewel of a hotel at TripAdvisor, and it was a perfect place to stay for me and my boyfriend for our one-week holiday in London. We stayed in room number 10, and had a great view to a quiet little garden. The staff was extremingly helpful with everything from car-rentals to restaurant recommendations. The room was spotless, clean and more than spacious enough for the two of us and the wardrobe had at least 14 hangers. We wil definetely stay here for our next trip to London.

• Liked — The location, the spotless room, the staff
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Göteborg
Reviewed 29 April 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Amsterdam Hotel for 2 nights in mid-April. It was our first trip to London and after reading 100's of hotel reviews I finally chose this hotel.

The experience was GREAT!! (almost perfect). The hotel is literally on-top of the picadilly (and district) line which gave us great access to heathrow airport and the city. We arrived at 9:30am but the staff were more than happy to hold on to our luggage during the day. When we returned to check in properly, our luggage was already in our room (small, but nice details...)

The room was absolutely wonderful!! It was very bright, clean and had no carpeting, yippee!! and the bathroom was spotless! On-top of everything, our standard double contained 2 VERY comfortable double beds!!

The only thing that wasn't excellent was the hallway leading to the room... It was stuffy and smokey...BUT... this did not in any way transfer to the room, so who cares :-)

Summary: Great staff, Great service, Great room, Great location, OK breakfast... almost perfect!

• Liked — location, price, cleanliness
  • Disliked — smokey hallways (but no big deal)
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Right off the bat - the biggest problem I had with this hotel was that it reeked of smoke, particularly during the day. I have asthma and I found myself having cough and itchy eyes all the time due to the smoke. Fortunately, when I was there, the weather was reasonably mild and I was able to tolerate sleeping with the window open all night to air it out.

The room was as described on the website- I had a single room and it was very small - mainly a bed and a desk - no dresser, but a small wardrobe (around 30 cm across with 6 or 7 hangers). The bed was pretty comfortable.

The bathroom was very clean. I did have some trouble with getting the toilet to flush properly. The temperature on the shower was VERY difficult to regulate - I wasted a ton of their water and my time (15 minutes one morning when I was trying to get to a business meeting!) running the shower to get the temperature of the water to somewhere between freezing and scorch. The shower curtain did not reach to the floor, so the whole bathroom gets wet when you take a shower. I used this feature to help get the wrinkles out of my clothes. I also did hear a quite a bit of noise from the room next door due to thin walls.

The proprieter of the Amsterdam is kind and helpful. Having Wi-Fi access and the computers in the basement is a great service which worked well for me. The breakfast is basic, but healthy and tasty.

As many have said, the location here is perfect! Easy access to the Tube. For those not familiar with London, Earl's Court station is at the junction of 2 of the most useful tourist tube lines (Picadilly and District). The hotel is near to a Marks and Spencer, Post Office, Boots, and inumerable eateries of different types and prices.

• Liked — Great location and helpful staff
  • Disliked — Smoke in halls and room; inability to get a proper shower temperature
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank maryland_traveler27
Derby England
Reviewed 9 April 2008

Chose this on basis of past reviews & was not disappointed. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN-lovely crisp sheets & room on 3rd floor light, airy & plenty big enough. On a quiet side street. Judith the proprietor is friendly & extremely helpful. She goes out of her way to get the best deals for tickets, shows etc. Night staff equally helpful - a request for teabags had them delivered wrapped in a napkin immediately. Continental breakfast was plentiful.
Great location - Earls Court road felt perfectly safe to myself & my teenage daughter - there are plenty of people about until midnight & beyond.The hotel is less then a minutes walk from the tube (turn left onto Earl's Court Rd as you come out of the station, then turn first left again & you are on Trebovir Street - you can see the hotel from there.) There are a few nice family run Italian retaurants on Earls Court Rd, Benito's is very friendly & very reasonable.
Easy to reach from St Pancras/King's Cross & plenty of routes on the tube to all major attractions. Will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — friendliness & cleanliness
  • Disliked — small lift - but I don't mind stairs
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank kayteey
Wirral UK
Reviewed 20 February 2008

I've stayed in a few hotels in London, and often been disappointed. This one was excellent, and great value.

Very near to Earls Court tube the location was great. Many shops and eateries close at hand.

Reception was classier than expected, and helpful and polite.

The family room on the 3rd floor was excellent. Very spacious with the 2 single beds in a separate room with both wardrobes. 2 facing sofas with a good sized table between, and a small kitchen with microwave, fridge and sink in the main room, with stylish modern decor, and large, bright windows. A very comfortable place to spend time.

Bathroom well equipped and spotless.

Breakfast (included) was a bit eccentric, with cereals already poured out into bowls, with some 20 laid out for perusal. The charming eastern european breakfast staff were helpful but managed to overcook eggs however you asked for them. The toast and croissants and pains au chocolats were plentiful and excellent.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family