“Deliver what they say”

Ranked #548 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Milan, Italy
“Deliver what they say”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

It was first time we stayed at the hotel but we had really good time there. Sometimes in the evening we can hear some noises from rooms around but I think its completely normal as we never had any sleeping problem.location is good just near the train station. good italian resturanat around the area, super market its really good value for money. We had to leave early in the morning and forget night before to request early breakfast but the guy Adel at the desk in the morning arranged for us light breakfast which was really helpful, he also helped in luggage. we had very pleasant and will definately stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank baciami_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

The location is great, the underground, buses, restaurants and pubs, all you need is just around the corner. Lots of Londons attraction are closeby, certainly walking distance for most people.
The hotel had a couple of excellent receptiion staff and a couple that weren't so friendly.
The room was narrow and long, the bed was a double but one side against the wall, OK for me solo but not ideal with a partner. The furnishings belonged in an ice-cream parlour, all white and fake cane. The floor was fake (plastic) woodgrain, the walls pinkish.
The noise of other guests was clearly heard through the walls.
The room was clean and tidy, so too the bathroom,but it was all just uninspiring.
Breakfast was downstairs and very modest almost spartan. One morning staff refused to provide other jam options until the marmalaide portions were all consumed, just pathetic service from people who should not be in the hospitality field.
There is a tiny lift, there are no real hotel amenities such a a guest lounge and I think no room service, but I stand to be corrected on that.
If it had been cheaper I would have felt a lot happier.
I would stay again if the price were better, but it will certainly not be my first option in an area with so many better hotels in the same price range.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LukaMelbourne
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I've stayed at the Amsterdam Hotel whilst attending the London Book Fair for 5 years and have the same room every time. I've never had a problem other than wanting a heater last year because they used to turn the heat off early. I noticed now the heat is on all the time and that was great. The staff are very nice and helpful. Kamran and Barbaro were very helpful, friendly and fun. I shall definitely go back for the 2014 Book Fair. I personally never had a problem in the breakfast room because I always went early before the crowds. Because you have to do your own toast, I could see there would be a problem, but I had none & it's a very basic breakfast. If I had to complain it would be my mattress. I am the princess and the pea meaning I feel any bumps and room 2 needs either a new mattress or a topper! I am looking forward to going back & seeing my 'friends' Kamran & Barbaro again. ... Gloria Goodman, Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: I've only ever stayed on the ground floor and they're quiet with a lovely view of the garden...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
SF Bay area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

I used to stay in the apartment side of the Amsterdam Hotel when I attended the London Book Fair. It was a dream: quiet, good price and excellent central London location in Earls Court - a half block from the Tube. I had a confirmed reservation - from January 30, 2013, and was eager to check in on April 14 for 5 nights. But no - we arrived and the hapless young woman at reception had a garbled story about how they did not have the apartment anymore. Huh? I showed her my confirmation - didn't matter, no apartment. She then said they had a room but it wasn't clean yet, come back in an hour. I was quite simply stunned...we left and returned after trying to figure out what to do - and she showed us a dump of a room in the lower street side floor - it was dark, awful and not at all what we had reserved. We entered the room she tried to foist off - bait and switch all the way - I refused to pay in advance for even that night , and as I sat down on the bed, I noticed a used ear plug on the spread. Lovely. Then as it was so dark I pulled on one of the blinds to let in some light - it flew off the wall and crashed on the floor. Oh, and their "wi fi" was not to be found on my phone. We left, I told her this was horrible - no manager there until Monday...
Here's the thing - crap hotels are all over London - but when apparently new ownership takes over a property - that's all I can think is what happened between end of January and mid April - would you not think that if an accommodation you had reserved in good faith but now was unavailable, the people running the place would have the COURTESY AND PROFESSIONALISM to tell you??? I guess not. Do not fall for this dump - and even more galling, last time I checked - post this disaster episode, their website still has the apartments as available... I called the Rembrandt in South Kensington - I have stayed there many times before, and luckily was able to book us in there - at considerably more cost...but such a nice place for Central London. Shameful -- do not give these jerks a quid.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bookpublicist
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

It was a nice experience staying in this hotel, the room is good, clean and comfortable and the staff is nice and friendly. After we arrived in the hotel after a long flight and tired we were greeted nicely by the nice lady receptionist, and she offered us some orange juice, something I haven't found in other hotel.

The service also good, they have 1 nice multitalented staff there who can make the room and cooking for breakfast, he work fast and efficient.

All the staffs are very friendly there which make our stay more enjoyable. Thank you Kamran, Barbara, Bagi and Pan for the good services.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ChristantoJK
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Unlike some reviewers I received very good service. Harbors at the desk many times took extra care. The manager helped arrange use of their breakfast room for a small event and recommended good pasty catering options. It is an older hotel as are many in Europe but the room was very clean. My only negative is their breakfast is too limited and the same everyday. You have to order eggs the night before which is an inconvenience. My stay was during the London Bookfair. It was a short walk to the exhibition center, is near a tube station and many restaurants & shoppes

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank IntlBookTraveler
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years,so much in fact that the previous owner had always given us a good discount.The price has now gone up a great deal,and the standard of the hotel has gone the other way.
The staff were not very friendly, the breakfast room is chaotic where you now have to serve yourself everything.It is too small ,and people are stood around waiting for their taost to brown in a very small and slow toaster.
The room we had looked in need of refurbishment,so all in all we were very disapponted and will never be back.This is such a shame as we always loved staying there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple