“Barbara at reception was lovely.”
Review of Amsterdam Hotel

Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #554 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Barbara at reception was lovely.”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

In my rush to make an appointment at the Embassy, having driven 250 miles from outside of London, it was great to find the Amsterdam Hotel so very close to Earls Court tube station. Barbara, the hotel receptionist was VERY friendly and very accomodating. She kindly held our luggage for our check-in later in the day and directed us to the closest car park in the area. When we came back later in the day, Barbara made sure that the room was ready for us. It was very clean and nicely designed in a colourful and feminine style. The room size was adequate as was the bathroom. Unfortunately the bathroom smelled like years of cigarette butts. As I was tired from waking up and driving from 4am, I needed to sleep by 10pm. There were no carpets in the room, just hardwood flooring, which was ok by me, but soon I found out why most hotels use carpets: The room or apartment upstairs was being bounced upon by a herd of rampaging elephants, non-stop. I was going to call reception but with my earplugs in, I fell asleep from exhaustion and didn't get the chance. Breakfast was poor considering the cost of the stay. (Typical Continental with toast, cereal and coffee) The pound cake was nice, but not exactly a healthy morning meal.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the third floor as I'm guessing that loud bouncing children in tapshoes...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ElioSegeloni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 18 May 2013

A very nice hotel.Great location just a few steps away from Earl's Court. The rooms are standard size for London, nicely decorated, clean and quiet.The receptionist Barbara is the best receptionist ever, even five stars hotel don't have such receptionist as Barbara!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 12Elena
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 9 May 2013

It was first time we stayed at the hotel but we had really good time there. Sometimes in the evening we can hear some noises from rooms around but I think its completely normal as we never had any sleeping problem.location is good just near the train station. good italian resturanat around the area, super market its really good value for money. We had to leave early in the morning and forget night before to request early breakfast but the guy Adel at the desk in the morning arranged for us light breakfast which was really helpful, he also helped in luggage. we had very pleasant and will definately stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank baciami_13
Melbourne
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The location is great, the underground, buses, restaurants and pubs, all you need is just around the corner. Lots of Londons attraction are closeby, certainly walking distance for most people.
The hotel had a couple of excellent receptiion staff and a couple that weren't so friendly.
The room was narrow and long, the bed was a double but one side against the wall, OK for me solo but not ideal with a partner. The furnishings belonged in an ice-cream parlour, all white and fake cane. The floor was fake (plastic) woodgrain, the walls pinkish.
The noise of other guests was clearly heard through the walls.
The room was clean and tidy, so too the bathroom,but it was all just uninspiring.
Breakfast was downstairs and very modest almost spartan. One morning staff refused to provide other jam options until the marmalaide portions were all consumed, just pathetic service from people who should not be in the hospitality field.
There is a tiny lift, there are no real hotel amenities such a a guest lounge and I think no room service, but I stand to be corrected on that.
If it had been cheaper I would have felt a lot happier.
I would stay again if the price were better, but it will certainly not be my first option in an area with so many better hotels in the same price range.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LukaMelbourne
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I've stayed at the Amsterdam Hotel whilst attending the London Book Fair for 5 years and have the same room every time. I've never had a problem other than wanting a heater last year because they used to turn the heat off early. I noticed now the heat is on all the time and that was great. The staff are very nice and helpful. Kamran and Barbaro were very helpful, friendly and fun. I shall definitely go back for the 2014 Book Fair. I personally never had a problem in the breakfast room because I always went early before the crowds. Because you have to do your own toast, I could see there would be a problem, but I had none & it's a very basic breakfast. If I had to complain it would be my mattress. I am the princess and the pea meaning I feel any bumps and room 2 needs either a new mattress or a topper! I am looking forward to going back & seeing my 'friends' Kamran & Barbaro again. ... Gloria Goodman, Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: I've only ever stayed on the ground floor and they're quiet with a lovely view of the garden...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
SF Bay area
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I used to stay in the apartment side of the Amsterdam Hotel when I attended the London Book Fair. It was a dream: quiet, good price and excellent central London location in Earls Court - a half block from the Tube. I had a confirmed reservation - from January 30, 2013, and was eager to check in on April 14 for 5 nights. But no - we arrived and the hapless young woman at reception had a garbled story about how they did not have the apartment anymore. Huh? I showed her my confirmation - didn't matter, no apartment. She then said they had a room but it wasn't clean yet, come back in an hour. I was quite simply stunned...we left and returned after trying to figure out what to do - and she showed us a dump of a room in the lower street side floor - it was dark, awful and not at all what we had reserved. We entered the room she tried to foist off - bait and switch all the way - I refused to pay in advance for even that night , and as I sat down on the bed, I noticed a used ear plug on the spread. Lovely. Then as it was so dark I pulled on one of the blinds to let in some light - it flew off the wall and crashed on the floor. Oh, and their "wi fi" was not to be found on my phone. We left, I told her this was horrible - no manager there until Monday...
Here's the thing - crap hotels are all over London - but when apparently new ownership takes over a property - that's all I can think is what happened between end of January and mid April - would you not think that if an accommodation you had reserved in good faith but now was unavailable, the people running the place would have the COURTESY AND PROFESSIONALISM to tell you??? I guess not. Do not fall for this dump - and even more galling, last time I checked - post this disaster episode, their website still has the apartments as available... I called the Rembrandt in South Kensington - I have stayed there many times before, and luckily was able to book us in there - at considerably more cost...but such a nice place for Central London. Shameful -- do not give these jerks a quid.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bookpublicist
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 22 April 2013

It was a nice experience staying in this hotel, the room is good, clean and comfortable and the staff is nice and friendly. After we arrived in the hotel after a long flight and tired we were greeted nicely by the nice lady receptionist, and she offered us some orange juice, something I haven't found in other hotel.

The service also good, they have 1 nice multitalented staff there who can make the room and cooking for breakfast, he work fast and efficient.

All the staffs are very friendly there which make our stay more enjoyable. Thank you Kamran, Barbara, Bagi and Pan for the good services.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business