“Fantastic little gem in Central London”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel
Ranked #354 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Eastleigh, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic little gem in Central London”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was very impressed by this hotel. When we arrived, the lovely receptionist informed us that we had been upgraded to a king room, because the purpose of our stay was a birthday! Nice touch.
Hotel is in a great location, it's right ontop of underground stations, aswell aa bus stops, however, we got most places on foot, for example, oxford street, regents street, trang algae square.
The room itself was clean, and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast in the morning was excellent. There was too much choice, and it was all delicious.
I will defiantly return to this hotel for further stays in London

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Becky F
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Becky F,

Thank you so much for posting such a complimentary review on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated! May we thank you also for staying at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

It is a joy to hear that you enjoyed your Birthday celebrations with us, I hope you got to treat yourself to a shopping spree whilst being so close to Oxford Street. I am delighted that you found the bed in your room comfortable and breakfast was excellent! Please note I will pass on your kind comments to the entire hotel.

Next time you are travelling to London don’t hesitate to contact me prior via the hotel reception or via customer services.

Warm regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
alicante
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were in londo for four days and booked at the Grafton. It's a great hotel to go to because the tuve station is just in front of it an the design is great. When we arrived we had to wait for our room but they offered us a smoking room there and then so we took it. I was a bit affraid from what i had read but the room was a good size with a a good cozy bead with great linnens. The breakfast is fabulous with very good service and lots of variety and quality food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zoelogicopark
Dear ZoeLogicoPark,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip to London.

It is great to read that you had such a pleasant experience with us! Indeed, the proximity to tube station is incredibly convenient - Warren Street tube Station less than a stone throw away, Euston Station/Euston Square within a 5 minute walk and Kings Cross St Pancras within a 10 minute walk – Regardless of what you aim to do in London, if you are staying at the Grafton, rest assured you will get there!

Thank you for highlighting the wonderful breakfast Chef and his Team prepare in the mornings, I will, of course pass on your compliments.

Next time you are planning a visit, if I can be of assistance making reservations don’t hesitate to let me know via the hotel reception.

Warmest Regards,
Dublin
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a four-night London city break for us and having booked a junior suite at the Radisson, we were pleased to be upgraded to a full suite on check-in. The lobby is smart and gives a good first impression and our check-in was efficient, if not effusive. We discovered our suite to be very spacious, large dining/sitting room, large bathroom and separate WC off sitting room. Plenty of storage space, as well as ironing board/iron, clothes steamer were in evidence and fully functional. In the sitting room, the Nespresso machine and kettle were also welcome features, although the in-room fridge door was broken. The air conditioning was malfunctioning however and the heated towel rail in the main bathroom was working but very noisily 24/7 and could not be turned off. As the suite was located opposite the Warren Street tube station, the public announcements emanating from the station were an effective alarm clock each morning despite the extra window glazing, something to note if you are a light sleeper! Decor is tired and a bit dated and I counted seven Roman blinds on the windows in the dining/sitting room, all of which required some cord repairs. As this room was fully visible from the street, we had to bring all of the blinds down in the evening and wind them up again in the morning - why have Roman blinds on all these windows when roller blinds or curtains would require so much less maintenance? On the positive side, the quality and range of food available at breakfast was very good, although we stood waiting to be seated for several minutes on one occasion. When we checked in, I could not find details for a gym in the Guest Information folder so imagine my surprise when on my last day, I spotted a sign for one! So, just in case you thought there wasn't one, now you know. This hotel is well located and service was reasonably good overall. I would be more tempted to return if a bit more was invested in repairs, maintenance and decor, as well as an extra bit of sound insulation.

Room Tip: If possible, book a room which is not directly opposite the Warren Street tube station, unless you w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnneOD
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear AnneOD,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip into London.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite the maintenance issues you experienced. Please rest assured that I have passed your comments on the Maintenance Manager who will follow up on problem immediately. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

I do hope that you will return for future stays as I am sure we can find a room that will not only meet your preferences but exceed expectation. If I can be of assistance with making reservations please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel reception.

Kindest regards,
Muscat
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Have stayed here frequently..Adequate for business and for sight seeing trips but nothing special. Rooms tend to be small and box like. The TV is a pain to use... It is rather anonymous and staff are "jobs worth" and not terribly helpful. Restaurant is chaotic - although the restaurant staff do try hard and are polite, in fact I was impressed by how hard they worked to try and help customers - and food is mediocre. Room service food is limited and poor, being of the cook chill variety - I ordered cheese and biscuits and got sliced bread instead of biscuits!
Most rooms have a bath with shower over the bath. THe bed is comfortable and there are a choice of pillows. You can open the windows, thankfully as the rooms are quite stuffy.

Room Tip: ASk for a room at the back which will be quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Caroline T,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your candid comments with us on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated.

I am surprised and disappointed that during your stays of recent we have failed so completely as to leave you with the impression the Grafton Team are unhelpful. Next time you are staying with us, I kindly ask that prior to your arrival you contact me, so that I personally over see your reservation and can make note of your preferences to ensure that going forward we work towards making you an advocate of this historic building and the team!

On this note, I am pleased to read your recognition of the Food & Beverage Department; I’m sure your feedback with serve as great inspiration. I will of course, pass your feedback regarding the room service on to our Head Chef so he can look into any changes that could possibly be made.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Over the past couple of years, I've stayed at the Grafton 5 or 6 times (because I've gotten great deals from a discount website)... and unfortunately, it just seems to be getting worse and worse. This is really a shame, as I've found the other Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotels in London to be consistently excellent.

Positives: Good location; walking-distance to Euston & Kings Cross, next to a tube station, and reasonably close to Oxford Street. The hotel is impressive from the outside, and has a beautiful modern lobby. The rooms are stylish, well-designed and well-equipped, with marble-clad bathrooms.

Negatives: The service standards at this hotel just seem to be slipping further and further. On my first visit (a couple of years ago), I was very impressed... and it's all gone downhill since. In fact, I was shocked by the reception staff during my most recent stay! The check-in was a very poor experience, and I was almost speechless when I checked out and the woman was so disinterested in me (and seemingly in her job)... it ended the stay on a very sour note. I also believe there are maintenance issues in many of the rooms; some of the furniture and decor is looking a bit "worse for wear", and there are definitely plumbing issues (for instance, the tap in my room only produced a weak stream of hot water, and no cold!). After mentioning these issues in a post-stay questionnaire from Radisson, I did receive an email from the front office manager... I sent him additional details regarding my concerns, but didn't hear back.

Verdict (quoted from my email to the front office manager): I book reputable hotel chains because I expect consistency, and unfortunately the Grafton no longer seems to be living up to the high standards of the other Radisson Blu Edwardian hotels I've stayed at in London. There is a great opportunity to turn this around, I believe, as the hotel has the right "bones"… but in my opinion is being let down by slipping standards and very poor customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It extremely disappointing to read that you have had such poor recent experiences with us! I have sent you a private message in the hope that you allow us the opportunity to turn this around, and work with the feedback given to ensure these flaws are eradicated from our service.

Once again, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here for five nights on a city break in October. The hotel is a short walk from Euston station which is great as it means you don't have to negotiate the tube with your cases. The reception staff were pleasant but I must comment on the excellent service given by the staff in the dining room at breakfast. Each and every one of them (especially the guy who greeted us most mornings - I think his name was Hasar) were among the friendliest hotel staff I have ever met. Outstanding!

The location of the hotel is perfect - right next to Warren St tube station and handy for Oxford St.

The room wasn't so perfect. Don't get me wrong - if you're on your own on a business trip for one or two nights it would be ideal, but for two people sharing for five nights it was just too small and too hot. The heated towel rail in the bathroom couldn't be turned off and it generated a fair bit of heat and the air conditioning unit in the room was a bit too noisy and didn't really cool the room down at all. There was virtually no drawer space and minimal wardrobe space.

However, I don't want to be all negative. The room was clean and quiet enough even though we faced on to the tube station, the bed was comfortable and the shower was powerful. As I say, for the right trip it would be ideal but for the two of us for five nights it was just a bit too small.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip to London.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the room allocated to you on this occasion was not to your complete satisfaction. The issues you have highlighted will be followed up by the relevant department.

I must say your comments regarding the team are amazing to read! Thank you so much for recognising their efforts.

If I can be of any assistance with making future reservations do not hesitate to let me know.

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Travelling on business I was booked here by my company.....usually get a nice 4 star, however the standard room I was allocated was most disappointing......126.....more like a box room, dark and dingy, 2 steps down from the en suite to the bed space. Tiny single bed, no room to walk around, sideways shuffle to the locker, no room in the locker as it was full of ironing board and suitcase stand...hmmmmm.
Tired after a long day I thought I would rest on the bed....but the noise from tottenham court road was seriously intrusive. No bedside table....no room for one....no lamp.
Went to the bathroom and had to be a contortionist to actually sit on the loo.....not convinced I would be able to move my arms in the shower to actually wash either....
Having decided that there must have been a mistake I went to reception to request a room change....very nice lady explains they are full....move me to another hotel says I...10 minutes later a room is available and she helps me move....228...much better standard, queen bed, room to move, still no reading lamp just harsh spotlights, nice bath, cheap shower with poor flow and unpredictable temperature but clean, a nice room, despite the laminate floor outside in the corridor.....why would you? Every time someone passes it sounds really loud! But no traffic noise.
Down for breakfast after a reasonable nights sleep....to be told I haven't booked breakfast....I said of course I have, my company always book breakfast, that is what mrs x said I was told but she hadn't booked it either, you must know her they said....er no and what a nice data protection breach! They phone reception to check....why are you phoning reception I hear the answer...very nice man insists I can have breakfast...but have to pay....no thanks, I go elsewhere.
Onto the company...oh yes you should have had breakfast I am told....we will liaise direct with the hotel and sort it out.....but no joy...repeat issue....further data protection breach as a whole series of names are reeled off....no concern shown.
On checkout I thought....oh they'll ask if I had a nice stay.....nope....
Expected better from a well known name, will stay at a Thistle next time. I would rate the Grafton as 3 star at best. Having read the reviews on here I can see that these are recurring issues....sort it out Radisson! I know you are in this to make profit but dont expect customers to accept a box room as a 4 star standard room! It was more like a student billet! And put some carpet in the corridors please.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and if you are not happy ask to change.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank susie1968
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Susie1968,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.

As much as it is disappointing to read that we have failed to deliver guest satisfaction, your feedback is invaluable to the us. We appreciate all feedback – positive and negative – as it is crucial to the success of the hotel.

Please rest assured that the service flaws highlighted will be discussed with the Hotel Management team and will be followed up with the appropriate departments. On this note, I would like to express that we truly care about our guests and I am sure that your experience was an isolated one and should you give the Grafton Hotel another opportunity to display the level of service we are proud to provide our guests we would surpass expectation.

If I can be of any assistance with making any future booking please do not hesitate to contact me via the Front Desk or Customer Services.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.