“Small room but right price in a classy hotel”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel
Ranked #373 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I 've been staying 2 nights in late September on a business trip.
Room was really small , but position is really central and just near to Warren street tube station.
Check in was fast and service was really good so as breakfast was fine and cheap.
I will come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AndreoG
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear AndreoG,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip to London.

My apologies that your room was not to your complete satisfaction, however I am delighted that you will be returning! I kindly ask that prior to your arrival you contact me so that I can make sure you have a room that is to your preference.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,749)

I judge a hotel on 3 criteria
1. Customer service
2. Room quality
3. Breakfast
Not a lot to ask you might think.
It was my wedding anniversay and we were booked into here before seeing a show and a concert. Now it may have been my fault in not understanding the central reservations instruction that I had to supply a voucher as I was having a Virgin Experince (they didnt tell me) but when i arrived I was greeted with. " we need the voucher or you cant stay !" This was despite having Emails and confirmations that I would be welcomed to there hotel.
It was only when common sense stepped in and a senior person took charge of my check in that i was allowed to stay. Odd, that feeling of total humiliation and eye to eye contact during my mexican style standoff ! So point 1 failed
Room quality . It needed love and care, thats all really. Hang on, a theme might be developing here...love and care needed ?
We had an upgraded room that overlooked Tottenham Court Rd which was very noisy. Maybe as the inject life into a tired room they might consider better fitting windows that can help reduce noise pollution.
Breakfast. It was busy, the room was airy. The lady who served us was very nice and ensured we understood the procedure... maybe at last a redeeming feature for the hotel... but alas no.
It really was a case of hunt the sausage, egg, tomotoes etc and when you did find them they were warm. They were busy and I accept that but this is there business, its what they do for a living so you would think they would get the food out quicker, especially when they advised, via a notice, that they were going to be busy at certain times. Employee more staff then ! Then the final act which lead me to give them a low score... the baked beans were cold !. Now I dont mean warm and left standing around, I mean stone cold, Sort of reminded me of my student days of eating food straight out of a tin.
Now to be fair there was a clue that all might not be well, sadly missed by the waitress who got them from the kitchen. They were in a silver tray and she carried them with a bare hand under the tray for support. Now if I did that and i didnt feel a burning sensation then I might have thought to question Chefs skills at heating things up.

So its only 3 things they need to get right and failed on all levels. This was to be a celebration of 20 years of marriage thru a Virgin Experience day and I did get an experience.

On a positive note the location is excellent

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barbados14uk
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Barbados14uk,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. I must say, it is extremely disappointing to read that you had such a poor experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

I would like to assure you that we take each guest’s feedback very seriously as it is vital to the success of the hotel. Please note that the issues highlighted have been discussed with the Hotel Management Team, so that the Head Of Department can investigate and eliminate such incidents from reoccurring.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to display the true level of service that we are proud to offer our guests. If I can be of assistance with arranging any reservations I would be more than delighted to help and ensure that you have a fabulous stay.

On this note, I would like congratulate you and your Husband on your 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Once again, my extended apologies for the poor experience you endured. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was very impressed by this hotel. When we arrived, the lovely receptionist informed us that we had been upgraded to a king room, because the purpose of our stay was a birthday! Nice touch.
Hotel is in a great location, it's right ontop of underground stations, aswell aa bus stops, however, we got most places on foot, for example, oxford street, regents street, trang algae square.
The room itself was clean, and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast in the morning was excellent. There was too much choice, and it was all delicious.
I will defiantly return to this hotel for further stays in London

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Becky F

Dear Becky F,

Thank you so much for posting such a complimentary review on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated! May we thank you also for staying at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

It is a joy to hear that you enjoyed your Birthday celebrations with us, I hope you got to treat yourself to a shopping spree whilst being so close to Oxford Street. I am delighted that you found the bed in your room comfortable and breakfast was excellent! Please note I will pass on your kind comments to the entire hotel.

Next time you are travelling to London don’t hesitate to contact me prior via the hotel reception or via customer services.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were in londo for four days and booked at the Grafton. It's a great hotel to go to because the tuve station is just in front of it an the design is great. When we arrived we had to wait for our room but they offered us a smoking room there and then so we took it. I was a bit affraid from what i had read but the room was a good size with a a good cozy bead with great linnens. The breakfast is fabulous with very good service and lots of variety and quality food.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zoelogicopark

Dear ZoeLogicoPark,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip to London.

It is great to read that you had such a pleasant experience with us! Indeed, the proximity to tube station is incredibly convenient - Warren Street tube Station less than a stone throw away, Euston Station/Euston Square within a 5 minute walk and Kings Cross St Pancras within a 10 minute walk – Regardless of what you aim to do in London, if you are staying at the Grafton, rest assured you will get there!

Thank you for highlighting the wonderful breakfast Chef and his Team prepare in the mornings, I will, of course pass on your compliments.

Next time you are planning a visit, if I can be of assistance making reservations don’t hesitate to let me know via the hotel reception.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a four-night London city break for us and having booked a junior suite at the Radisson, we were pleased to be upgraded to a full suite on check-in. The lobby is smart and gives a good first impression and our check-in was efficient, if not effusive. We discovered our suite to be very spacious, large dining/sitting room, large bathroom and separate WC off sitting room. Plenty of storage space, as well as ironing board/iron, clothes steamer were in evidence and fully functional. In the sitting room, the Nespresso machine and kettle were also welcome features, although the in-room fridge door was broken. The air conditioning was malfunctioning however and the heated towel rail in the main bathroom was working but very noisily 24/7 and could not be turned off. As the suite was located opposite the Warren Street tube station, the public announcements emanating from the station were an effective alarm clock each morning despite the extra window glazing, something to note if you are a light sleeper! Decor is tired and a bit dated and I counted seven Roman blinds on the windows in the dining/sitting room, all of which required some cord repairs. As this room was fully visible from the street, we had to bring all of the blinds down in the evening and wind them up again in the morning - why have Roman blinds on all these windows when roller blinds or curtains would require so much less maintenance? On the positive side, the quality and range of food available at breakfast was very good, although we stood waiting to be seated for several minutes on one occasion. When we checked in, I could not find details for a gym in the Guest Information folder so imagine my surprise when on my last day, I spotted a sign for one! So, just in case you thought there wasn't one, now you know. This hotel is well located and service was reasonably good overall. I would be more tempted to return if a bit more was invested in repairs, maintenance and decor, as well as an extra bit of sound insulation.

Room Tip: If possible, book a room which is not directly opposite the Warren Street tube station, unless you w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnneOD
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear AnneOD,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip into London.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite the maintenance issues you experienced. Please rest assured that I have passed your comments on the Maintenance Manager who will follow up on problem immediately. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

I do hope that you will return for future stays as I am sure we can find a room that will not only meet your preferences but exceed expectation. If I can be of assistance with making reservations please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel reception.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Have stayed here frequently..Adequate for business and for sight seeing trips but nothing special. Rooms tend to be small and box like. The TV is a pain to use... It is rather anonymous and staff are "jobs worth" and not terribly helpful. Restaurant is chaotic - although the restaurant staff do try hard and are polite, in fact I was impressed by how hard they worked to try and help customers - and food is mediocre. Room service food is limited and poor, being of the cook chill variety - I ordered cheese and biscuits and got sliced bread instead of biscuits!
Most rooms have a bath with shower over the bath. THe bed is comfortable and there are a choice of pillows. You can open the windows, thankfully as the rooms are quite stuffy.

Room Tip: ASk for a room at the back which will be quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Caroline T,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your candid comments with us on Trip Advisor, it is much appreciated.

I am surprised and disappointed that during your stays of recent we have failed so completely as to leave you with the impression the Grafton Team are unhelpful. Next time you are staying with us, I kindly ask that prior to your arrival you contact me, so that I personally over see your reservation and can make note of your preferences to ensure that going forward we work towards making you an advocate of this historic building and the team!

On this note, I am pleased to read your recognition of the Food & Beverage Department; I’m sure your feedback with serve as great inspiration. I will of course, pass your feedback regarding the room service on to our Head Chef so he can look into any changes that could possibly be made.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Over the past couple of years, I've stayed at the Grafton 5 or 6 times (because I've gotten great deals from a discount website)... and unfortunately, it just seems to be getting worse and worse. This is really a shame, as I've found the other Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotels in London to be consistently excellent.

Positives: Good location; walking-distance to Euston & Kings Cross, next to a tube station, and reasonably close to Oxford Street. The hotel is impressive from the outside, and has a beautiful modern lobby. The rooms are stylish, well-designed and well-equipped, with marble-clad bathrooms.

Negatives: The service standards at this hotel just seem to be slipping further and further. On my first visit (a couple of years ago), I was very impressed... and it's all gone downhill since. In fact, I was shocked by the reception staff during my most recent stay! The check-in was a very poor experience, and I was almost speechless when I checked out and the woman was so disinterested in me (and seemingly in her job)... it ended the stay on a very sour note. I also believe there are maintenance issues in many of the rooms; some of the furniture and decor is looking a bit "worse for wear", and there are definitely plumbing issues (for instance, the tap in my room only produced a weak stream of hot water, and no cold!). After mentioning these issues in a post-stay questionnaire from Radisson, I did receive an email from the front office manager... I sent him additional details regarding my concerns, but didn't hear back.

Verdict (quoted from my email to the front office manager): I book reputable hotel chains because I expect consistency, and unfortunately the Grafton no longer seems to be living up to the high standards of the other Radisson Blu Edwardian hotels I've stayed at in London. There is a great opportunity to turn this around, I believe, as the hotel has the right "bones"… but in my opinion is being let down by slipping standards and very poor customer service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It extremely disappointing to read that you have had such poor recent experiences with us! I have sent you a private message in the hope that you allow us the opportunity to turn this around, and work with the feedback given to ensure these flaws are eradicated from our service.

Once again, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.