“Hidden Gem of a hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #357 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Hidden Gem of a hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was lucky enough to stay in a suite at this property. Large bathroom with separate tub and shower. Separate living room with huge flat screen tv and Bose Wave radio. Beds very comfortable. Breakfast buffet room was beautiful with a decent selection. Pot of tea and toast offered at table. Very civilized.

Located in more of a business district, but steps away from the tube station with great access to the West End. Several grocery stores nearby as well as Boots pharmacy. Also close to several great Indian restaurants. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David M
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear David,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Grafton hotel and for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We really appreciated your glowing review on the room you were allocated and our breakfast buffet. I am glad to hear that the location of the hotel was of great convenience to you.

Your comments reflect exactly what we aim to provide for every guest and what we feel every guest deserves from a stay.

We are eager to welcome you back with us in the future to create more memorable stays.

Kind Regards

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here overnight before catching the Eurostar.
It was really handy for Euston and St Pancras.
The room was absolutely wonderful. Really comfortable, and fabulous bathroom!
Loved all the extra touches.
The only downsides were the room was along a "maze" of corridors, which was difficult with all our luggage; also the reception area (which was really nice) smelled really strongly of cigarette smoke.
I think people maybe smoke outside the door? But the smell was really strong, and unpleasant.
Would recommend this hotel though, and I'd certainly return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share such positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Grafton Hotel.

It is so wonderful to read that you had such a great experience with us, the team and I can’t wait to welcome you back.

With regards to the smell of smoke in the Lobby, this is disappointing and should never happen, my sincerest apologies. We have a designated area in which people can smoke cigarettes away from the entrance of the hotel. It will be reiterated to the doorman that we have to manage it at all times.

Once again, thank you ever so much for your feedback. I trust we will see you soon.

Kindest regards,
Guest relations Manager
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent 4 nights here as part of a small group. The group leaders picked this hotel. I was not at all happy with the size of the room. The bed was a double size; upgrading to a king would have cost us 30 pounds more per night (about $50), which seemed absurd. The bathroom was so small, you could barely turn around in it. After talking with the other members of the group, we determined that none of the rooms had any storage space to speak of. There was a tiny closet, which had one small shelf. The only drawer was for a desk (filled with hotel stuff), and next to 1 side of the bed (filled with a tea service--it is London). The location was ok, though not one I would have picked had we been going on our own. There were a few restaurants around, but not that many and they did not generally stay open after the theater. That said, the hotel was very clean and nicely finished. There was a warming bar for the towels, though you couldn't reach it from the itsy bitsy shower, so towels cooled down by the time you needed them.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room--there may be some.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Myrna,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us during your recent group trip to London.

It is disappointing to read that you did not have the experience we strive for our guests, and for that I am truly sorry. With regards to the room size, if would seem that you and your tour group were booked into double standard bedrooms, my apologies that the room allocated was not to your complete satisfaction, however the offer for an upgrade to a higher room category for £30.00 per night was very reasonable.

On this note, I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Stacey Jasieiwcz
Northampton England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary, we stayed at this beautiful hotel where we were central for everything. We had a beautiful room with everything provided, the bath was so deep and long, wonderful!! When we were off out to the theatre in the evening the concierge found us a taxi, he was very courteous and complimentary. Nothing seemed too much trouble, we returned late but there was friendly staff to greet us and ask if we required anything. Our breakfast was served in our room the following morning (on our request) and it was lovely. The only thing that was awful that weekend was the weather!!, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a central location and a touch of luxury.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsM0ke
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly Happy Anniversary once again on behalf of the Grafton team and secondly, thank you so much for taking the time to share you feedback with us!

It is always wonderful to read that we have delivered not just a pleasant experience but a happy memory on such a special occasion.

The team and I truly hope to welcome you back again in the very near future. If I myself can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on many occasions. Once again, good service and a welcome room upgrade! Very friendly staff from the front desk through to room cleaning. Excellent location close enough to the heart of the West End. Good transport links with Warren Street tube station a few yards away!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ron,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experiences at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel and for your loyalty with us, it is very much appreciated.

It is a joy to read that you have stayed with us on many occasions and that you have found the team to be friendly and our location excellent. The team and I hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kindest regards,

Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

As I understand opinions of this hotel are very different, but I think is due to high expectations from first or second time travelers to London. After visiting London 8-9 times one have quite low expectations regarding hotels. A Three star hotel can come to a premium price and a four star hotel usually come to a very high price in this city. My experience is that if one looks for a hotel with a great bed, clean and "new" bathroom interior and a total fresh appearance with good service one has turn to a five star or at least an expensive four star hotel in London.

I had stayed at a number of expensive three star hotels with a standard I would expect from a very bad two star hotel elsewhere in Europe or the rest of the World. Then I came across this hotel and I felt at home.

The hotel decor was a in a light Asian style with rooms more in an international English design, but today the lobby and restaurant is redone into a colder look. still stylish, but not as nice as Before (looks new though). Rooms kept the same decor. The feeling is classic, but done quite clean from any traditional "stuffy" and checked British interior design which can look a little granny and dusty. Warm grey walls, soft wall to wall carpet (not stained or dirty as at most 2-3 and even 4 star hotels in London) and dark wood with soft green textiles. Bathrooms are very fresh with white Cararra marble clad walls and floor with shower in the single rooms and often a tub in the double rooms. Americans often asks about water pressure and that's fine in all rooms I've stayed in.

Sound proof between rooms have been great in all rooms, but the (old) windows towards the street let more sound in. If this is a problem, then asked to be moved further up since it's only at the first floor it can become annoyingly noisy during afternoon and morning when there's a lot of traffic. A warm rack keeps the thick and fresh white towels warm and nice. Not everyone likes the toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, shower cream and liquid hand soap in wall dispensers) with its eucalyptus scent, but I love it. On top of this one find towels for the face, q-tips, cotton balls etc. A repair kit with needles etc. can be found in the closet where one find the iron and iron board as well as a trouser press. The hair dryer is in the drawer of the table. It's fixed though so somewhat limited when using it.

All rooms have a safe and a mini refrigerator which is empty in the singles room, but can be filled if requested. Double rooms have a filled mini-bar. High ball glasses are provided as are a smaller one, but nowadays no wine glasses although wine can be found in the mini bar. A call to room service and they fix it for you. Ice machines are on every second floor and mostly close to the elevator hall.

A note though about room sizes. I often come here for a single room and they are mostly small to so small you bump into the desk chair. Since I though mostly get these rooms for as little as I would had paid previous at a bad two star hotel makes that small inconvenience ok. The hotel is housed in different Buildings from different periods so rooms size and layout various a lot, but I would say most standard double rooms are proper sized.

Last something about the service and location. In most cases I'm given a smile at check in and out with a personal approach, but there might now and then be a less happy face behind the counter especially from the "concierge" counter staff. Check-out is at 11 AM and no problem leaving your bags for storage at hotel if one has a late flight. Just outside is the metro station Warren Street which is only one stop from Oxford Circus. Otherwise a walk from Tottenhamn Court to the hotel is about 10-15 min. Also in walking distance is the railway station where the Paris trains leaves from. From Paddington station (if using the Heathrow Express service) one take the Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus and change to Victoria up to Warren Street station. Along Tottenham Court Road are a number of convenient stores and supermarkets as well as a number of pubs and food outlets (can recommend YouMeSushi with two for one boxes early weekday evenings).

There are a number of far more exclusive hotels right in the smack of the center of London, but they do come to a very high price. If one stop with the metro to Oxford Circus is fine with you then this hotel is the best for its price.

Room Tip: Ask for a single room above the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mathias,

Thank you ever so much for choosing to stay at The Grafton hotel and for sharing your feedback with us, it is very much appreciated!

I am absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you feel comfortable and are able to relax during your visits with us.

If I myself can be of any assistance with any future reservations please do not hesitate to let me know.

Warmest regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel as my partner had to attend a nearby hospital. After emailing about a month in advance and then ringing the week of arrival I was assured by the very lovely Stacey we would have an appropriate room for my partner as he has mobility issues.

After a 5 hour journey there, my partner in a lot of pain and on crutches, we were relieved to be at the hotel.

However upon booking in I was asked if although i had booked a king size room, I had been put in a double and was this ok? Well no, considering I was promised a family room for my partner's mobility issues. I couldn't remember who had given me that assurance, and so had to wait while another receptionist was called who was actually quite rude and said if I wanted that room I had to pay more and I should've remembered the staff member's name who promised the family room.

At that point I was about to kick off and walk out.

The wonderful Stacey to the rescue! She had been the one who had promised our room, remembered me from our phone call and sorted us out a beautiful room and a complimentary bottle of wine.

She well and truly saved the day and the rest of our stay was brilliant.

The staff couldn't have been more accommodating, helping us with transport and later check out and to our room.

The restaurant was lovely, staff there very pleasant as were the bar staff.

Our room was spacious, beautiful bath products and bed linen, great wifi, good aircon, nice lighting system too. I also thought the bathroom was one of very few hotels I've stayed in that has good lighting to put make up on! Room was very clean and also had nice touches such as a very friendly lady bringing us the evening paper.

Location is very convenient too, and surprisingly not a lot of noise at all.

All in all an excellent stay.

Would highly recommend.

Special mention has to go to Stacey though, she really went the extra mile for us and obviously communicated our situation with other staff too who were also very very helpful and pleasant after the initial room confusion.

So in short, great hotel, even better staff, and a wonderful young woman called Stacey.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Sophie,

This is truly heart-warming review, thank you for taking the time and effort to write such a positive review about the Grafton hotel and the team.

It is reviews such as yours that make it worth it for all hoteliers, rest assured your positive words will be passed on to the entire team.

With regards to my input, It wasn’t any trouble at all and it was lovely to meet you both!!

If ever I can be of any assistance with making reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via the front desk.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.