“Disappointed as to how our complaint was dealt with”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel
Ranked #370 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We just had a grandchild born in University College Hospital which is 2 minutes walk from the Grafton Hotel, so it was an ideal location for us to stay for a night to enjoy central London, and to enjoy our new arrival.
First the good points. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the receptionist Bashir who dealt with us was very eager to accommodate any of our requests. We booked 2 rooms - one double room for my wife and I, and one single room for my son, who would spend most of his time at the hospital, but would come back to the Hotel to sleep late that night.
This is where it all went horribly wrong.
My son who had been up for about 48hrs on the trot due to his wife's long labour finally arrived exhausted back to his room at 2am. He plonked himself into bed only to find half of the bed completely soaking wet. The air-conditioning unit had been leaking water onto the bed for a number of hours and it was quite sodden. He was much too tired to get involved in speaking to the desk so he turned off the air-conditioning unit, covered the wet area with a towel and slept huddled over to the opposite side of the bed. He had to listen to a drip-drip-drip sound which was quite tortuous until he eventually crashed out until 11 O'Clock the next morning - missing breakfast.
When we came to check out we explained the situation to a different receptionist who said she would take it up with her manager. He offered us 20% off which I though was quite derisory for a top London Hotel. To add insult to injury, on checking my credit card statement the following day I noticed that no discount had been applied. I am now writing to the Hotel to get them to at least honour their commitment.

Room Tip: Check that the air-conditioning doesn't leak water and check your bill to see that they have car...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip B
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Philip,

Thank you for reaching out to the hotel via Trip Advisor and for taking the time to discuss your issue with me on the Sunday morning also.

I would like to apologise once again for the air conditioning fault, this was highlighted to the Maintenance Manager who has looked into this and resolved the issue that occurred in your Son’s room.
I completely understand that your Son was very tired from being awake in the hospital, however if the desk had been notified at the time that there was a problem of any sort we would have done our upmost to resolve it or in this case move the room so that your Son could have a comfortable and peaceful rest.

With regards to the 20% refund, I can confirm that this indeed was applied on the Sunday that we spoke, however It can take up to 5 working days to appear on your card statement, I also gave you my card to contact me if for any reason this was not done.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.
If there is ever anything else I can be of assistance with please do not hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I didn't like the hotel. The rooms were so tiny that I didn't even have space on the floor to open my luggage. Moreover, the rooms were dark and my first impression when I entered was: am I in a coffin??? The bathroom was small too, no space for your cosmetics. The cosmetics that were provided by the hotel smelled so badly that I couldn't use them (Ok, normally the cosmetics are not the best quality but these ones were horrible). I was surprised what they offer for this price- I would give the hotel 3 stars at most. So my general impression was: small rooms, dark, old. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for that price (but the price probably that high cause of location).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Zosia,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us after your stay last year, it is very much appreciated.

It is very disappointing that you did not enjoy your stay, please accept my sincerest apologies that the room allocated you on this occasion was not to your complete satisfaction, however I am more than confident that should you give the Grafton another opportunity we will exceed expectation and I will oversee every aspect of your reservation. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance with making reservations.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Highly recommend this hotel. Clean and good-sized rooms, new bathroom suite, friendly staff, good gym and a handy location for Euston, Kings Cross and West End. We got the offer on a Lastminute Secret Hotels deal so price was very reasonable too. Try to get a room away from the main road if possible.

Room Tip: Request room away from main road.
1  Thank Mary_from_London
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Mary,

It is wonderful to read that you had such a great stay with us – thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

Next time you are coming to visit London, don’t hesitate to contact me and I will allocate a room away from the road for you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have to preface this review by saying I was part of a 30 person tour group that was booked into this hotel by the tour company. So I’m not sure of the price per room, but I want to share what I experienced and know about this place. This an excellent hotel to end our tour with. Clean, comfortable, and nice WIFI. Large bar area. Location is only a block to a metro, a grocery store across the street. Recommend depending on price you get.

Dear Washmont,

May we thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, it is very much appreciated!

I do hope you enjoyed your tour, and that you got to see everything in London that you wanted.

Hopefully in the future we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grafton.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Radissson Blu Edwardian in London whilst attending our daughters graduation. The hotel in very central and was excellent in every way. The staff on Reception were extremely polite helpful and informative.Being in the hotel and leisure industry myself I did notice in particular Bachir to be an absolute gem. We were swiftly checked into a lovely room which was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room had all the usual tea and coffee making facilities,ironing board trouser press etc that you would expect.
We were quite tired after an afternoon of shopping in neighbouring Oxford Street but although we were a little sceptical at the idea of eating in a hotels Restaurant. We were however tempted by the Steak and Lobster Menu priced at just £20 per person for rib eye steak or Lobster with unlimited salad and fries. We all found the meal to be absolutely delicious. My husband is a Steak lover and he chose the stilton and red wine sauce.He has travelled all over the world and ranks this as one of the best he has tasted. My daughter chose the Lobster and this too was extremely good. We were waited on by Sarahi and Geraldo who were very attentive, polite friendly and helpful. The wine was pleasant and not over priced for London.
We were so delighted with the meal we stayed and had a few drinks in the bar. We probably would only have had one drink if it wasn't for the very entertaining and friendly barman Peter.
We would certainly stay here again and would like to thank the staff for making our stay such an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hcw777

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your glowing feedback with us. It is absolutely wonderful to read that you had such a wonderful stay!
May we also congratulate you on your daughters graduation, I hope you had a lovely day celebrating. I will of course be passing on your feedback to the rest of the team, with a special thank you to Bashir and Peter for making the difference to your stay.
When you are next coming to visit us, please contact me prior to your stay and I personally will ensure a stay as good if not better than the last.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for one night on Saturday the 12th of July 2014 for my Wifes birthday. We had went all out and booked the top double room, which was actually much more like a suite. Plenty of space, lovely decor, great views. Staff (Trevor) was excellent on check in. Very helpful, gave us early check in and asked if we would like our bags taken to our room. The location of the hotel is perfect.. right next to Warren Street sub, close to Euston and walking distance to many other places. Room service is excellent, very friendly and polite member of staff brought us some drinks in the room, spoke to another very friendly member of staff who brought us some fresh fruit. Very pleased at this point and chuffed to have booked such a good deal in such a nice place. We had a good night and then a good nights sleep. Looking forward to breakfast we went down around 8am. The breakfast area was very busy, so we waited patiently at the desk for someone to seat us. After quite a wait the breakfast maitre d approached us and without any eye contact stated quite abruptly that there were no tables for breakfast. No explanation, no offer to wait.. no information on how long we might wait.. and before we could ask any of these questions he had turned to walk away again. I found this to be quite rude but understand.. its busy, he is likely under pressure.probably short of staff... so we waited to try and catch his eye again while still at the desk to ask if we could wait and how long this would likely take (as by this point there were maybe half a dozen free tables waiting to be cleared with no one at them). On his return he chose to completely ignore us and start talking to two other guests who had came in behind us despite my attempts to speak to him. When my wife asked if we could wait he turned to us, put his hand up towards our faces and said he was talking to other guests and to wait our turn...seriously? after being so rude and walking away from us mid conversation... never mind the fact we are at the desk awaiting service.. any type of service?The way he done this and said it left me totally shocked. Here we are, at the end of a great stay in a great hotel.. and we are spoken to/treated like this? for no reason whatsoever. This completely and utterly ruined our stay. We were left completely stunned, along with the other guests around us who witnessed it. We were both embarrassed and upset by this appalling treatment and turned to leave the breakfast area immediately. I really cant get my head around what happened. The fact everyone else was so nice to us during our stay.. and the hotel was so nice.. just leaves a really bitter taste. Horrible little man with no reason or justification to treat guests like this. I hope I am not the first to have complained about him and that remedial action is taken to correct his appalling attitude. There are so many places to choose to stay in London.. and at the price we paid for this to be spoken to like that, we don't have to go back and won't be. Shame... but you really cannot expect to retain repeat custom at this level with mistakes like that. I really really want to give more than one star as a thanks to the other members of staff who went out of their way to make us feel welcome.. but I just cannot as this had such a negative impact on our stay overall.

3  Thank Gordon L

Dear Gordon,

This is extremely disappointing to read, even more so as it sounds as if you enjoyed every other aspect of your stay and we let ourselves down at the last hurdle, please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience that was caused. You are quite right, this is unacceptable and I am very shocked that a member of the Grafton would make a guest feel this way. Rest assured this has already been discussed with the Food & Beverage Manager who will ensure that this never reoccurs.

I have sent you a private message in hope that I can speak and find a way that we can win back your trust!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We loved our stay, Unfortunately we did not manage to use all that the hotel has to offer, but staff were lovely and polite and helpful. The room was lovely and clean and the bed so comfy and the additional touch was the extra pillows that other hotels normally lack. Will defiantly come back to stay again

1  Thank Robbie E
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Robbie,

First of all let me thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us at the Grafton. I will make sure to pass your comments onto the other employees as your remarks act as a massive motivator for all who work at the Grafton.

I am delighted to hear that the room was clean and comfortable for you. Our housekeeping department always work to such high standards and they will be delighted to hear your appreciative feedback.

I would suggest you try our new Steak & Lobster restaurant upon your next visit, anyone at reception can book a table for you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future so that you are able to try out everything we have to offer at the Grafton.

Kind Regards