“Nice room for a short citytrip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - Cartwright Gardens

Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - Cartwright Gardens
Ranked #32 of 828 Speciality Lodging in London
Balen, Belgium
“Nice room for a short citytrip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Excellent : well equipped kitchen. Everything looks almost new.
Enough space to put your belongings.
Why is everything not excellent ? we were on the third floor (highest) and there is no elevator, it's better to come with not too heavy luggage.
The bathroom is only around 2 m² : ask your partner if you can use it for a certain time, nearly impossible to enter with 2.
But... a tourist in London visits the city, not his room : excellent enough to sleep and eat.
Very good : the location, bus 91 in Upper Woburn place around the corner brings you on Trafalgar square or bus 10 (Euston road) to Kensington (museums) and is a quicker and more interesting ride than the Underground.
Good restaurant in the neighbourhood :
North Sea Fish restaurant in Leigh Street : excellent fish & chips
Caprice in Chalton Street : very good Italian; fair prices
Number Twelve in Upper Woburn : if you don't mind spending more money : more refined Italian.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank drfb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Situated only a 10 minute walk from Kingscross Station, walking distance to Oxford Street, Leicester Square etc. I really had no fault with these apartments, we were in 44 room 14, quite near the top. The room was spotlessly clean and ultra modern, there was a small kitchenette area with tea, coffee, milk etc all provided which we didnt really expect from apartments, clean fresh towels, lovely comfortable beds, TV, and magnificient views. The bathroom was quite tiny but very modern. We had our own electronic swipe type key that got us in the main door which stays locked at all times so you feel quite safe. Next time I go to London I will definitely be looking up these apartments as my first option, just hope they will be available.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ZoeLincoln_UK
North West England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I'll start with the good points:

My room was fine, a decent size for one person (too small for 2) and had pretty much everything you'd need.

It's in a convenient location - 10 minute walk away from Euston station and a 5 minute walk to Russell Square tube.

Reception staff were helpful when I checked in.

Now, the bad points (they're only small but the combination of them all over 2 weeks became really annoying):

My room was on the top floor. There was no lift. It was quite difficult getting up 4 flights of stairs with lots of bags.

The noise. Being on the top floor I wasn't disturbed by outside noise, but the other people staying in the apartments near me were extremely loud. I ended up complaining one night as I needed to be up at 6am the following day. The room across the corridor sounded like they were having a party (lots of laughing and screaming). I phoned reception and when somebody came upstairs, I was made to feel like a naughty child for daring to complain. I was also told that the noise wasn't coming from inside the apartment building. Funnily enough it was as I went and stood outside the room a short time later and had to ask them to quieten down myself.

The cleaners weren't brilliant. My bed could have been made better by a 5 year old. Customers are also responsible for their own rubbish, which was fine. I had a rubbish bag out that wasn't full, so I had left it in the kitchen area. It was gone when I came back so I assumed that it had been taken by a cleaner. I only realised on my last day that it had been put in the freezer and the freezer had been turned off?! Finally, one of the cleaners left my door open once they'd cleaned. Unforgivable in my book. I didn't see the point in complaining though, as the staff don't seem to take kindly to complaints.

Finally, there were just lots of little things. There was no chain on the door, so essentially staff could just let themselves in. It didn't feel very secure. The smoke/heat alarm in the room was extremely sensitive. I opened the over door half way through cooking something a few times and each time it went off. A member of staff called the phone in my room one night at almost midnight, then didn't even apologise for calling the wrong room. And there was constantly rubbish and cleaning equipment left in the corridors and hallways.

Believe me, I am not a fussy person. I'm a student and lived in halls, I'm used to living in fairly basic conditions. I just found their reaction to my (very valid) complaint very unnecessary and I felt extremely patronised. As I stayed for 2 weeks I think I noticed a lot of smaller things that people staying for just a couple of nights may not notice. Overall, it was convenient, but I wasn't particularly impressed with much else.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jnorthwestuk
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

This was excellent. Easy distance from King's Cross Station or Russel Sq tube. Quiet crescent leafy street. All facilities good and comfortable bed, pillow, chairs. Cooker, pots, crockery, etc all supplied . Shower room (btw - no bath) was a bit cramped but this was not a problem for me, although that sink was very small. On arrival, a member of staff showed me around the room and checked that all was ok (Scottish accent was not easily understood by him). On checkout, I was allowed to leave luggage until my afternoon train departure, which I always regard as a real plus for service. Only real negative was that people leaving/entering the building would chat on the doorstep and this could be heard by me two floors up. On this stay, that didn't matter as there was no noise during the night but may have been if I had required to go to sleep early.

Room Tip: Next time, I would probably request a room at the back of the house.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I booked into Studios2Let as a bridge between a late Eurostar return, a breakfast meeting in London, and an early plane from Heathrow. The apartments are close to St. Pancras station, about a four block walk and a convenient hub for reaching all three. The hotel is located in a block of row houses arranged in a semicircle around a small park: the entry is not well marked so be sure to have the number. The area is quiet despite being a block away from a busy thoroughfare - we did not try to park. The area is residential and offices, but with many restaurants, attractions (the British Library) and train connections close by.

The front desk was staffed by a wonderful gentleman who, despite the late hour, made sure we got help to the rooms, provided directions for a meal, and arranged a morning taxi. The rooms are high-ceiling contemporary style, with a large bed , kitchenette, and flat-screen TV with a good selection of local and cable channels. There is free WiFi and an in-room safe; the kitchen has a refrigerator, microwave, sink, range and oven. The bathroom was new and absolutely spotless: there was good hot water temperature and pressure. The read window looked onto a courtyard that was quiet and safe - the bed was firm and gave a good night's sleep.

The ambience is a small studio flat, and it would serve well as a base for business or a weekend break in London. It is probably not a good family accommodation, but it is a value price for an room with this quality, features, and location. Recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DaveH-ExPat
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

My wife and I found this to be the best deal in London, where we often visit. We stayed at the unit on Cartwright Gardens. Everything was clean and fresh. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The towels and sheets were first class. Our room was very quiet and cheerful. The location was great for getting around London as well as for enjoying the local neighborhood. The Eurostar station being within walking distance was a nice convience. On our next trip we will deffinately spring for a larger unit, as ours was kind of a "tight space".

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Great location for transport links, places to eat, and local shops, but on a quiet street. We stayed 4 nights on arrival in the UK, and enjoyed staying here. We had the larger studio, which was worth it - wouldn't have wanted to be somewhere smaller. Spotless, modern fittings, and the wireless worked really well. Good value given the location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple