“Value, location, tiny”

Ranked #33 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
South Burlington, Vermont
“Value, location, tiny”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We arrived late (someone is at the desk 24 hrs.), were directed two doors down to another entry door, and carried our bags up two flights of stairs to our room. The desk staff gave information when asked but weren't too "proactive" or personal. It's what it is: a flat rental, not a B&B. The small studio barely had room for the two of us to pass each other and it was a challenge to wash in the tiny bathroom sink without bumping one's head. That said, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed eating our breakfast in bed (since there really isn't much room to eat other than on the bed). The location is wonderful for tube, buses and trains. Yes, you can hear everything on the street but it is a very quiet street. If you want a good value and an experience that's more like living in a tiny student flat, this is a great place.

2 Thank esteva4442

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This place was small, but served it's purpose. Chose this place due to the low cost and convenience to Kings Cross and Eurostar station. The area was great. Short metro away from Picadilly, and walking distance to numerous places. The room was very small, as evident from photos on web, so no surprise. The restroom was a bit smaller than expected. The sink was half the size of normal. Spilled water on the floor each time I tried to wash my face. The shower was also a tight space. The bed was comfy. Plenty of TV channels. Only issue I had is there is no lift, and our room was on the 3rd floor. When we checked in the attendant carried my bag, which I greatly appreciated. It was difficult when we left w/no help. Their tends to be a lot of activity outside, which can be heard. It didn't stop me from getting a good nights rest, but light sleepers be aware. I would stay here again for a no frills place to rest my head.

2 Thank AnyssaM
Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect out of this experience, but it turned out far more positively than imagined. Yes, the rooms are small (no surprise there) but it was perfectly sufficient for our needs, especially since all we wanted was a safe/comfy/clean place to crash. The bed was very comfortable, the shower temperature and pressure were perfect, the room was spotlessly clean, and I got a restful night's sleep. I thought the mod-style Audrey Hepburn portrait on the wall was a fun touch. It had a trendy city studio apartment feel to it in general (it actually reminded me of my friend's NYC studio in many ways.)

English is not the first language of the staff, which surprised me at first, but it ended up not being a problem. The location is safe and conveniently near Kings Cross. Be prepared for tight hallways and corners. My husband and I traveled with 2 suitcases, a hanging bag, a backpack, and a tote, and only struggled mildly. Have a sense of humor about it and you will be fine!

Overall, fantastic bang for your buck!

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms. We had a 2nd level room on the street (which I was warned via TripAdvisor not...
1 Thank Pamela J
Walkington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The location is fantastic. Although on a slightly noisy street (didn't appreciate the people singing in the street at 1am, but not a lot could be done about this!), the location is easy walking distance between Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras stations. Staff were friendly and helpful (good to be able to leave your bags there for the day before travelling home).

The room was spotless, modern and spacious by London standards. Really good to have a small kitchen which although we didn't, would have been more then adequate to cook your own meals. Good free Wifi connection. Great shower. The bed was not to my taste, but I have a bad back so this may be an unfair comment. I know the Kings Cross area doesn't have a great reputation for accommodation, but this actually ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank louisebielby
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have stayed here a number of times over the last few years and my conclusion is that one's experience is very much defined by which room one gets. The small studios are indeed very small, but they are up front about this so you know what you're getting going in. The larger studios are quite adequate for two people, and the cooking facilities do the trick. The rooms facing the front are noisy, but that's what you get in a big city. The rooms facing the rear are very quiet and can be quite lovely.

My main gripe is that there seems to be no way to have any sort of guarantee that one will get a specific room location (high floor, low floor, back or front, etc.). I get that the hotel world is dynamic and things change all the time and that 100% guarantees are hard to maintain. However, our experience the last time we stayed has made us decide that we will not return. We actually had two stays, separated by 5 days. On the first stay we had a front-facing room, which was noisy as expected. At check out I asked the receptionist to note that we would be returning later in the week and that we preferred a rear-facing room. All seemed ok by her reply. We arrived to check in fairly late in the evening and a room had been set aside for us. Unfortunately, it was one of the more horrible hotel rooms I've been in in my life! It was in the basement, faced the street (though one couldn't see the street), and was noisy. The window faced a stairwell that people descended all night to put their garbage in the bins that were stored there. A bright light lit up the stairwell and our room. No other rooms were available so we toughed it out but truly this was an unacceptable room, especially given that we knew other rooms in the same category we had stayed in were 1000% better. We were moved the next day, but only after a bit of insistence on my part that the room was not up to snuff.

We won't return, which is a shame as the location is excellent and the rooms are mostly quite decent.

Room Tip: Rear facing are quiet. Front facing will be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank arf68
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Pros: the hotel is in an awesome location next to shops, bars and restaurants for a twentysomething wanting to enjoy local London nightlife; the bed was extremely comfortable and the decor was lovely; the price was extremely competitive, and ultimately a good buy; and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

Cons: as other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are tiny -- so tiny in fact, that it is nearly impossible to open a big suitcase and look through it; it's EXTREMELY noisy -- the walls are so thin, in fact, that I could hear a woman's footsteps as she ran on the pavement below or the back and forth of a tennis ball across the street (this made it extremely difficult to sleep past, say, 7 a.m.); there are flights of stairs you must climb to access your room, which would be fine except I've been on a long trip and my bag is extremely heavy (I think others are experiencing the same problem, as I can hear folks dragging large suitcases up and down stairs all day/night); for the first night, I had no idea how to lock my room (you have to hold up the handle and then turn the lock/key) and there was no number to call to get help; speaking of which, the number listed on their website is to an answering service that isn't on-site, which can be problematic; finally, there's no air conditioning in half the rooms (which was OK since it's March, but I imagine it would be frustrating in different climates).

All in all, you get what you pay for here. It's really inexpensive, safe and in a fabulous location. But, you get what you pay for. Would not recommend the economy room for more than one person at a time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo