“Afternoon tea on a hot summer's day - Perfect.”

Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
Ranked #559 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I had afternoon tea there recently courtesy of a present. It was a perfect English summer's day. We sat in the Orangery, staff were very attentive making sure blinds were set so that it wasn't too hot. Was about half full on the Tuesday we were there. Afternoon tea was £25/head and came with the usual sandwiches, cakes, scones. Extra sandwiches were offered for free but oddly second pot of tea was charged for, I say oddly as the pots are not that big (ie they are small) - i asked for some hot water for the pot I had and was given a fresh pot of tea which they charged for. Why do they do things like that, are they really trying to make money out of the tea!! - mildly irritating. But that aside, the afternoon tea was excellent, we both felt stuffed, the setting is very pretty, the service very good and the views across the park are stunning, especially on a hot sunny day. We walked off the tea with a walk round the park which is always lovely & then went back into the hotel for a cocktail which rounded it off very nicely.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin Wimbledon

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I took my wife to Cannizaro on the bank holiday weekend. It was absolutely magnificent. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left. Working in the service industry, the highlight of my stay was the service from the staff. It was a very busy sunny Sunday and the terrace, the 2 restaurants and the lounge were extremely busy, even so the service was implacable.
I have read the negative review before to go but I already booked by then, now I have been, I have no understanding of the negative comments. Some people will never be satisfied...
Thank you to all the team, especially Fabrizio. No doubt we will be coming back soon.
You made our weekend...

Room Tip: Book it don't worry about the negative. Ask for a bedroom with views on the common.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is an utter disgrace, we had an entire party stay here recently (about 15+ people) and I am shocked to say on the morning of our wedding, a cleaner came to "clean up" the room after we left, not only did she not do this (rubbish as you can imagine lying around the room) but she threw away my very expensive designer shoe box plus bag that was in fact inside my open suitcase and fascinators for my dress (I didn't end up using). Two days later on packing- I went to tell the reception what had happened, I did not get an apology just- I will see where your cleaner is. About 30 minutes later a lady arrived at my room with a black bag full of items thrown out from my room and there was my shoe box and bag, soaked wet!!!!

When I wrote to the manager of the hotel about my experience and how upset I was of the treatment and disappointed that a staff member took my shoe box from the suitcase, I got the most horrendous reply- basically telling me that his cleaner told him the shoe box was by the bin! so I was clearly lying- I rang him instantly and told him of my disgust, he spoke to his employee again- offered us a glass of champagne on our next booking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T THINK SO.

My friends who book here annually for Wimbledon are now no longer customers of Cannizaro house as the customer is clearly always wrong and to apologise for staff members behaving very unprofessionally you are offered a glass of champagne for your troubles BUT only of you book for diner!!!!! Don't bother staying here you leave with a sour taste in your mouth, not worth the money at all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank CatJens
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Sat in the middle of Cannizaro Park to the south west of Wimbledon Common, sits a lovely stylish, yet buzy gem of a small hotel. The staff are attentive, helpful and engaged, The food is well rounded and well priced, all in a lovely, nicely eclectic ambiance. A fun evening, in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have previously reviewed this hotel and after every time I visit it I am surprised how it continues to worsen.
Ideally it's got potential: nice building, great views on the surrounding green spaces, quiet.
But no, it is a complete mess.
Staff are kind enough and try to be helpful, but they obviously do not have a clue on how to behave in a 4 star hotel.
The bar and reception area are tacky and I always have the impression they are dusty. There were quite a lot of paintings on the walls, most of them for sale, but none of them was hung straight (and they were too dark and gloomy for my taste).
Service at dinner was super slow with no explanations offered for the delays.
The rooms are ok, but armchairs and wallpapers were stained. Turnaround service was offered as if it was a nuisance.
Not recommended

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Ariel16
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We treated ourselves to afternoon tea at Cannizzaro over the Bank Holiday and were bitterly disappointed in the quantity and quality of their offerings. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have taken Afternoon Tea in hotel settings many times and the staff always ask, if you require additional teas or sandwiches and you can continue to order these as part of the price. At Canizarro, I was made to pay £7 for one additional sandwich as there was not enough for our table, and was asked to ignore my allergies as the kitchen was too busy to make one sandwich without dairy (butter). They eventually agreed but said it would take them a long time to cater for this. They also forgot my husband's coffee order and argued with me that the second pot of tea we ordered was Breakfast Tea when it clearly wasn't.
Not a great experience, maybe the hotel should focus on offering one superb product rather than having three different menus on the go at the same time, all produced from one kitchen, I presume.They used to have a great Lounge menu fitting all tastes and children, but this has also been replaced by the Orangery menu which is fine if you just want sharing plates not a decent family lunch.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed on their Sunday night special. Got upgrade to beautiful four poster room as did our friends. Receptionist Emma was brilliant very smiley and efficient. Had lovel walk in the gardens at their best at this time of year. Dinner in the restaurant was superb and the service a credit to the hotel.
All in all can't wait to stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Wimbledon Hotel
Clapham / Battersea
The Lodge Hotel, Putney
The Lodge Hotel, Putney
#308 of 1,072 in London

Been to Hotel du Vin Wimbledon? Share your experiences!