“Only the phone did not work”

Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
Ranked #614 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Yeah it's not a modern and shiny hotel, but this is perhaps just the place which I should stay for a relatively laid back short trip for a cousin's wedding.

Some might think that the interior decor at the lobby is old, lift is slow, and the flooring gives out loud noise whilst walking, but the locality is splendid.

The mattress was extremely comfortable, and the breakfast was excellent. It's fresh air and green all around!

The place was probably popular for holding wedding reception or banquet other than for tea. The restaurant connecting to the backyard was reserved for 2 straight evenings during the weekend for private function, but I still managed to take a comfortable rest at night as the sound created by those functions were not really loud.

Going back to the title, it's a little disappointed when I tried to make local calls with the hotel phone per instructions marked on top of the hotel's phone, the hotel's information booklet and the staff at the reception. The calls just did not get through and this happened when I used the phone in my own room and my sister's room. I hope the hotel can fix this problem.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NH H
JeffWard, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Wimbledon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello NH H
Thank you so much for your very kind comments, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay
I am really so the phones didn't function for you, please let me know which rooms you occupied and I will address
thanks
Jeff

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Not sure what the reviewer before me is really on about. Stayed in the best hotels in London and all of the UK and to be honest this place is just about right. Rooms ok, food good, service relaxed and Breakfast excellent. Perfect eggs, sausage and treacle backed bacon. Yes it's not 5 star and accommodation maybe slightly overpriced but will certainly make a few more visits when in the area. Nick and Kojo in the bar were very attentive and nothing was to much trouble Thank you

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jonbecker

Hello jonbecker
Thanks for choosing to stay at Cannizaro and your very kind comments
I agree the breakfast is really good
Let me know when you are popping back, it would great to say hello
All the best
Jeff

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I've been to Cannizaro House a few times for tea and food in the new conservatory, those occasions it's been busy with Sunday afternoon walkers looking for refreshments and diners, all rights ok.
The hotel location is excellent in Wimbledon, the exterior is fine, but the interior was done some time ago and it's looking dated and tired in places. Hideous modern art hangs for sale on the walls, along with photos of famous actors who I'm unsure if they have ever stayed! Both these things need to be removed in the next revamp of the hotel, they're hideous.
The decor in the conservatory is ok, modern and clean, but the main hall is too dark and depressing.
Our room was spacious, better decor than communal areas, but the bathroom returned to the weird art theme and this clearly puts many guests off. The room was clean, tidy and everything worked fine. Rabbit shape biscuits nice touch.
The staff try hard, but seem unable to get things right to work as a team or deliver things smoothly and efficiently for guests. I'm unsure why this is, leadership or training? Either way service is not 4 star that's for sure, it's poor in execution and delivery, on par with a mediocre b&b.
Breakfast was appalling, indeed food in general at Cannizaro House is a let down. My cooked breakfast was something like you'd expect from under a motorway service station heat lamp and not a hotel. Mushroom like leather, egg not cooked properly, even the pastries were solid on the bottom and inedible, so I stuck with toast. My wife had porridge, or the Cannizaro version of oats tipped into hot milk, not cooked properly and hence barely edible. Very poor all around in the dining department!
Basically Cannizaro House needs new strong management that bind the staff to their goal of serving guests, trains them well to deliver 4 star service or better. A new chef is essential and a team around that chef to deliver good food consistently. Redecorate the hotel in lighter traditional patterns/shades and dump the moody colours and hideous art. Perhaps then this hotel can build upon the excellent location and architecture to deliver a quality hotel that people expect here, until then Cannizaro House will disappoint you.
With the Dog & Fox down the road just newly opened its clear Cannizaro House needs to raise it's game!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard-de-G
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for 4 days. Lift was broken we we arrived so we had to use the stairs for a couple of days - not an issue for us. Room lovely - lushly decorated with a spacious well equipped bathroom. Breakfast was exceptionally good and highly recommended - try and get a seat overlooking the garden in the glassed in area of the verandah. All wait staff were professional and friendly. We had one evening meal that was also very good indeed. Bus stop close by, and Wimbledon station 20 mins stroll away. Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

In the middle of Wimbledon Common there is a jewel. Wonderfully quiet but full of old fashioned grandeur at the same time Cannizaro House is just a lovely, lovely place to stay. The food is fantastic and, if the weather is on your side, you have the most amazing park and gardens as your very own back garden. The rooms are gorgeous and the staff can't do enough to help. Wimbledon Village is just a walk away and the shopping is fantastic. My husband and I stay there on our wedding anniversary every year and would have it no other way. It is hard to compare Cannizaro House to any other hotel so I shan't bother....it's divine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I had afternoon tea there recently courtesy of a present. It was a perfect English summer's day. We sat in the Orangery, staff were very attentive making sure blinds were set so that it wasn't too hot. Was about half full on the Tuesday we were there. Afternoon tea was £25/head and came with the usual sandwiches, cakes, scones. Extra sandwiches were offered for free but oddly second pot of tea was charged for, I say oddly as the pots are not that big (ie they are small) - i asked for some hot water for the pot I had and was given a fresh pot of tea which they charged for. Why do they do things like that, are they really trying to make money out of the tea!! - mildly irritating. But that aside, the afternoon tea was excellent, we both felt stuffed, the setting is very pretty, the service very good and the views across the park are stunning, especially on a hot sunny day. We walked off the tea with a walk round the park which is always lovely & then went back into the hotel for a cocktail which rounded it off very nicely.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I took my wife to Cannizaro on the bank holiday weekend. It was absolutely magnificent. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left. Working in the service industry, the highlight of my stay was the service from the staff. It was a very busy sunny Sunday and the terrace, the 2 restaurants and the lounge were extremely busy, even so the service was implacable.
I have read the negative review before to go but I already booked by then, now I have been, I have no understanding of the negative comments. Some people will never be satisfied...
Thank you to all the team, especially Fabrizio. No doubt we will be coming back soon.
You made our weekend...

Room Tip: Book it don't worry about the negative. Ask for a bedroom with views on the common.