“Mixed Feelings”

Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
Ranked #591 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 October 2006

After reading previous reviews, I did not have high expectations for this hotel. Our friends were having their wedding reception at Cannizaro and hence we got a cheaper room rate than normal for our one night stay. The hotel is set in wonderful grounds and looks stunning from the outside, particularly at night when the hotel is lit up. Unfortunately, the interior is somewhat disappointing - the majority of the decor is set in a classic design but there are some new modern additions which simply do not work e.g. the bar looks brand new, very white, modern, small, long & narrow - a wine/cockbar bar feel. There are some odd pieces of modern art dotted around which again does not fit in with the general classic decor. There is no formal reception area, just one desk as you enter the hotel. The main lounge area lacks atmosphere and there was a shortage of comfy seats. We were allocated a room with a four poster which on first inspection looked very spacious & romantic. However, taking a closer look, I noticed that the walls could do with new wallpaper or a new coat of paint. More noticeable was the bathroom where the sealant around the bath definately needed replacing. I was fortunate enough to see the bridal suite and a few of the other rooms. They all appeared very spacious but in need of updating, particularly the bridal suite where the carpet was grubby, in desperate need of a clean. The food & service throughout our stay was v.good and particular praise should be given to Rowan, the operations manager who was very attentive to all the guests during the stay.

I do feel that this hotel is overpriced and there is still much more room for improvement - there are some wonderful hotels in this country and unless the necessary improvements are made - I won't be back!

p.s. It was rumoured that the hotel restaurant was to be named "Common" after Wimbledon Common - what a daft name, surely they can do better than that!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MW F

Reviewed 11 October 2006

I last visited the hotel some 18 months ago, and I can really say that it seems to have improved massively under the new ownership. The bar has been re done, and serves some fantastic cocktails, all prepared by the resident mixologists (a new word I learnt whilst I was there!). My girlfriend loved it. The room was nicely decorated and had some really fun things as well, like a pair of binoculars on the window sill for looking out into the park with! What I noticed the most since my last visit was the improvement of the quality of the service. From the moment we arrived and were taken to our room by the lovely receptionist, to when we ordered dinner in the 'common' restaurant, we were looked after so well by the staff at the hotel. I will be back again as soon as possible.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NIck123
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Did not think much of this hotel at all. It is a great location, but overall everything about this hotel is below average. Food, rooms, service etc.! But there is not much choice if you want to stay in Wimbledon !

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Carom
Reviewed 3 May 2006

We stayed at Cannizaro House over the weekend for a wedding. The hotel were very helpful and attentive. It's a great location for a weekend getaway. My only negative comment would be their lack of attention to detail - our newspaper didn't turn up and our kettle on the widely advertised hospitality tray didn't work ... and on the Sunday after a wedding you really do want a cup of tea when you wake up! Breakfast was delicious and it makes a pleasant change when a busy hotel makes it all freshly to order rather than setting out loads of hot plates. Our room itself was on the ground floor and rather small with a window that didn't actually lock which wasn't very reassuring for security. The bathroom didn't have any windows and as a result was very dark as the light bulbs were very dim. If we went again we would request a different room. However, on the whole we would recommend the hotel as the staff are just so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Menis
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 26 January 2006

upon arriving to Cannizaro House you are blown away by the beautiful quintessitially building. Once inside the charming staff enhance the wonderful experience.

We stayed over night for two nights and adored every minute. The food was excellent, the bar is great and they serve the most delicious cocktails.

Wimbledon is lovely to go into for some light shopping. And then back to Cannizaro for dinner and cocktails. We went to the local theatre one night which was fantastic. When we came back the staff prepared us a light snack as they were worried we'd be hungry, so sweet! There was even a night cap on the pillow..Excellent, I can't wait to go back

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 November 2005

I recently stayed at the Cannizaro House to evaluate the Hotel and facilities for my wedding venue.

Cannizaro House has wonderful memories for me. As a child I played on Wimbledon Common and spent many days exploring the grounds of this wonderful house.

I found the Hotel to be relaxed and informal, The staff were attentive and friendly. The modern looking bar does not blend in with the existing decor, but the owners Bridgehouse Hotels are doing a wonderful job after a slapdash approach by Thistle Group the previous owners.

I have read some other negative reviews but I found that on the whole, I was very satisfied with the service. Yes, some of the rooms need a little attention details - carpets/furniture, I am sure this will be part of a maintenance programme.

The Restaurant food was excellent I cannot fault the food or service.

I am looking forwad to returning in the Spring when I can enjoy drinks on the lovely terrace and walk in the gardens.

4  Thank MoMo512
Reviewed 17 April 2005

The good news about this hotel is that it has been sold by Thistle Hotels (who ran it rather badly), and the new owners have been busy refurbishing and replacing, and restoring the place to its former glory.

If you want to be in London, but with the feel of a country house hotel, this is the place. Fronting Wimbledon Common, and with Cannizaro park at the back, it is an oasis of peace and quiet.

The hotel restaurant serves good food in formal surroundings. Five minutes walk across the common is Wimbledon Village, with plenty of restaurants, pubs and wine bars.

Free parking, but if not travelling by car it's a fairly long walk to Wimbledon tube station.

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled on business
8  Thank Sunman239
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Wimbledon Hotel
Chiswick
Best Western Chiswick Palace & Suites
The Fox & Goose Hotel
#221 of 1,077 in London

Been to Hotel du Vin Wimbledon? Share your experiences!