“Overpriced, but good location”

Hilton London Angel Islington
Ranked #184 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Golden, Colorado
“Overpriced, but good location”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is advertised as 4-star. I've been to many hotels of all categories, from 1 to 5 stars in many different countries. This does not align with my understanding of 4-star:
There is no spa, no pool... it's a very solid 3-star with a decent breakfast selection, a staff who went out of their way to be of great service, and a room that is nice, but whoever planned it, did not give it much thought:
-there is no mirror in the main room, but the hair dryer does not work in the bath room (my girlfriend ended up drying her hair looking at the switched off TV set)
-The shower is at the end of a "hallway" in the bathroom - had they turned the shower by 90 degrees, this would have been a spectacular shower.
For all that the hotel definitely is priced too high.
The location is excellent - lots of restaurants of different styles and tastes right around the corner. Tube station not far either. Close to down-town, but not central.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Holly S, Manager at Hilton London Angel Islington, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was sorry to read that you were not very happy with your stay and would very must like to discuss this with you personally.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Assistant Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 9 March 2014

It has been my second time at the hotel Hilton Islington in London. In fact, I have been to several Hilton hotels in London but, for me, this is by far the best one among the ones I've stayed at.
You can easily reach it by bus or underground if you're coming from Victoria St. or whatever other part in London. I went there from Victoria by underground, but if you have half an hour to spare, it's far more relaxing by bus,which takes you directly there without any need to commute trains. The bus to take is the 73 and the bus stop is a two minute walk from the hotel.
The hotel is one minute walk from a lively zone full of pubs, cafés and shops. There's also one of the popular concert halls O2. Next to the hotel there's a great restaurant called AskItalian, which is also a chain where I had a yummy lunch and wonderful espresso, difficult to find in England.
I made the most of an offer for a weekend at this Hilton hotel and I paid 150 pounds for a double bedroom where there were two of us, without a breakfast. Anyway, I have to say I was offered an upgrade for an extra charge of 25 pounds which included a bigger room and bed and the breakfast, which I refused since I considered the room was good enough for a night, but I would have kept it anyway for more nights because it was excellent. The receptionist who offered me the change even gave me a ring to the room a few minutes later to check if I was happy with my choice.
The bedroom consisted of a good size bathroom with a really big shower and enough toiletries and super big and thick towels. Lots of wardrobe space as well as an iron, safe, kettle, tea and coffee which we used when we went to the hotel late at night. The central heating worked really well and you could choose the best temperature for you in an easy understandable way. There was an enormous flat TV, as well as quite a big desk, an armchair, two bedside tables, a queen- size bed, an alarm-clock and a big window with a decent view.
A decent price for a very decent bedroom, nice manners from staff and great surroundings that can help make your stay in London unforgettably good.

Room Tip: See all possible options at the Hilton website and look for season offers. Become a member of the ch...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nuria1962
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was pleased to see that you found the hotel easy to get to and enjoyed your stay from the room to the location. I was also delighted to see that you found this hotel the best one in London.

We hope we can welcome you back for a 3rd stay soon.

Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 5 March 2014

First stay since the renovation and a huge difference in the previous style of the hotel. Gone is the strange open brickwork feature of the hotel corridors and the rooms have had a fabulous makeover now offering a totally modern and functional design.
The location has always been good with interesting dining options in the area, and with the renovations it would be my first choice in future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Vincent H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Angel Islington, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am glad to see that you like the new rooms as well as the local attractions.

We hope to welcome you back soon

United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great stay in this well located and central hotel to all that Islington and Central London has to offer. Staff very friendly rooms clean and comfortable, shower was spacious and powerful well equiped. looking forward to staying again soon. Have stayed in this hotel before even better now with the refurbished rooms and lobby area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay and not only the rooms were well equiped but the staff were also accommodating to your needs.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The worst executive club of all time, warm beer and food that humans shouldn't have to eat. Room was clean but uncomfortable. The location is great as I love Upper St. Quite pricy for what you get, next time ill spend a little more for 5 star

Service was fine but I wont be back

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DanGrundy
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and I hope we have the opportunity restore your faith and welcome you back in the not too distant future.

San Antonio
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband, daughter, and I reserved several nights at the Hilton Islington with Hilton Honors points and at check-in, we took a deep breath when the clerk paused and said she needed to tell us something. First, she mentioned that because of my husband' Diamond status, we would be upgraded to a suite, with a separate bedroom for our teenage daughter. Then, she very apologetically mentioned that there was a noticeable stain on the carpet and that we would be moved to a suite in better condition as soon as one became available. Because of this "inconvenience," she told us that we were being given a complimentary meal in the hotel's restaurant, including drinks, appetizer, and dessert! We were blown away by the hotel's generosity. The stain in our room was indeed noticeable, but not a problem. The next day, we were told to have our luggage packed before leaving to sightsee, and we placed several British pounds on top of a suitcase as a tip for the porter. When we got back to the hotel, our luggage had been moved to our new suite and the tip money was untouched! Surprisingly, our complimentary meal at the hotel restaurant was the best we had in London; the Tikka Masala was especially enjoyable, and the service was delightful. The hotel is in a great location just a few blocks from the Tube, and there are numerous boutiques and antique shops nearby. An all-around great experience! (This trip occurred in June 2012 and I apologize for the delayed review, but the service was too good to not mention.)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alamotraveler
Holly S, Manager at Hilton London Angel Islington, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is never too late to leave lovely feedback like yours. I was delighted to see that you were well looked after by our front desk staff.

I am sure if you returned now you would see a big difference in the rooms as we had a refurbishment that finished in June 2013.

We hope we can welcome you back soon for you to witness firsthand the changes we have made.