“very good but frankly overpriced”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #333 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed in one of the executive rooms on business. I must say the room was very large and the atmosphere was more than good, but I wasn't too impressed with the view and I believe the room is overpriced for what it offers. There are better luxury hotels in the surroundings, such as Corinthia, Royal Horseguards and St Martins Lane. Waldorf is historical and it's just two minutes away from Covent Garden, which makes the wonderful location a plus. But the recently refurbished rooms' style leave much to be desired, with an absurd glass panel behind the bed depicting some of the most famous London landmarks plus some clothing items and even an iron (?!) what's that supposed to mean? A finer touch would be most appreciated. Room service was fast and efficient, and the swimming pool in the basement is a tiny gem. I couldn't enjoy breakfast as I was running late, therefore I cannot judge it. I would definitely go back, but only at a cheaper price.

Room Tip: I guess the back facing rooms are quieter than the ones overlooking the Aldwych, even if the rear vi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Waldorf Hilton London

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We chose to stay at the Waldorf Hilton as we were seeing a show at the Duchess Theatre and wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and bars of Covent Garden without having to walk too much. In this respect, the Waldorf Hilton was perfect as it is in a great location.
Reception was efficient and friendly, and our room (a refurbished "Queen" on the 2nd-floor) was bright and clean and more than spacious for us as we were just staying the one night.
After the theatre, we returned for a night-cap in the bar and had a couple of excellent cocktails - this was despite us arriving in the bar just after 1am. The bar is open till 2am.
The only disappointment was breakfast. We had read on Trip Advisor that breakfast was something special, and perhaps it is in the Executive Lounge, but in the main dining room on the ground floor it was nothing special. Like many other places (which are a lot cheaper than £230 a night for a double room) it was a buffet breakfast, and (like most breakfast buffets) it can get a bit rough at the bacon and sausage counter! The hotel cannot be held responsible for the rude behavior of its guests, but table service (rather than buffet) would go a long way to restoring the impression of good service and reputation of the hotel.
Would I go back? Probably yes, but I next time I would either have breakfast served in our room, or go elsewhere. Room service prices looked very reasonable and, as as my partner only wanted eggs benedict, we would have enjoyed that more than the buffet experience.
One other point: when we arrived at 3pm we had missed lunch and wanted some refreshment. We left the hotel and had tea at the nearby Delauney (which we knew of as we'd been there before) but had we known that a proper English "tea" was being served in the hotel's Homage Patisserie then we would have gone there instead. The manager should ensure that reception staff inform guests when they arrive what is available, as profit is walking out of the door!

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade if offered.
1  Thank moorhey
Juliane H, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton London. I enjoyed reading your mostly positive feedback and am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay.
On a different note, I have forwarded your constructive comments regarding the breakfast service and information about the Patisserie, to the concerned teams and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
I do hope that we may soon have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Waldorf Hilton and please don't hesitate to contact the Guest Relations team when arranging your reservation.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were going to a show and wanted to soak up some of londons theatre land atmosphere.
This was a great place to do it in, it was a 2min walk to Covent garden and surrounded by theatres and shows, it was set back off the road so it was lovely and quiet & was an ideal place just to soak up the London life.
The room was small but perfect for the two of us, the bathroom was clean and well presented.
We had a drink in the gorgeous bar late in the evening and enjoyed a great cocktail in a nice atmosphere.
The staff were lovely & it was a nice place to stay.

We didn't have breakfast or dinner in..... But then with Covent garden & the west end right on your doorstep, why would you stay in the hotel!

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Hilton London for your recent stay and for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. Your comments are much appreciated and have been shared with our team members. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at the Waldorf Hilton London, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.
We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and we look forward to seeing you back at the Waldorf Hilton London soon!

With warm regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We spent a night at this outstanding hotel as part of a birthday present. The staff where helpful courteousand obliging. The room although guest room was so so clean comfortable and quiet, you would not think you were in the heart of London. The tiniest thing had been thought of which makes the stay so special.
Thank you for one memorable birthday present.

Dear valued guest,

We are most delighted that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us. We are indeed heartened to know that the hotel has delighted you in more ways than one and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to London.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me regarding any special arrangements.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Reading the mixed reviews below is a bit misleading. There is no possible way that one could complain about the quality of this hotel, its cleanliness, the comfort of the bed, and for the most part, the service. It is well located in the far eastern part of the west end, near the Theatre Royal Drury Lane and Covent Garden. The nearest tube is Covent Garden and its about a 12 minute walk at a good pace. Some West End theatres are very close while others are quite a hike. Depending on what you want to do, the location might suit well. I love to walk so it was perfect for me.

As a Diamond Member, I pre-requested and was granted an upgrade to a King Exec Room, and got free internet, daily free breakfast as described in other reviews, with choice of executive lounge or the Homage. I went with the Homage every day because of the diversity of choices and the grandeur of the room. The service was pretty non-existent, with my water glass going empty often and my plates being cleared only when I asked. I can't say this was true of every morning, however. One waitress in particular was fantastic and very attentive, but most were not. And there can be a long wait to get a table when it's busy. The food was good, with a good assortment of breads, muffins, fruit, hot items, cereals, oatmeal, sliced meats, smoked salmon, juices, coffee and made-to-order omelets, all included with Diamond Member benefits.

The Exec. lounge also served afternoon tea, with a very limited assortment of sandwiches, cakes, and soft drinks, tea, coffee. The evening appetizers were great. I made a dinner out of them on most nights, with offerings like salmon on a skewer, Sea scallops (yes, the expensive ones), and unlimited decent bar choices. Worth the price of the room!

My room overlooked the inner courtyard and the many other rooms that were facing the inner courtyard. It was quiet though. The room itself was a nice size, with a very comfy bed, minibar, closet, little bar area, sitting area and desk, and a separate large bathroom with amenities. I don't know what that person earlier in the review chain was saying about the amenities, but mine were there every night, and the water bottles were always replenished, I had shortbread cookies waiting for me and the maid service was excellent!

As a Diamond, I didn't have to pay for internet although I did hear guests complaining its pricey.

The service was generally very good. The front desk crew were a mixed bag. Some were very nice and helpful and some made me feel like I was a rude interruption whenever I asked a question. I like ice every night and since there is no ice machine you have to order ice, which I did on my way into the hotel. Some were very receptive and others clearly found my request irritating There was always a doorman there to welcome me and open the door. The elevator up to the room was small but quick. My room was far from the elevator. If you don't like long hallways (albeit clean and lovely), ask for something close to the lifts.

The gym is very large for a hotel since its a private operation, but the people working there are a study in obnoxious, unhelpful and rude behavior. I didn't really use the gym after my first experience and found it to be inhospitable and unfriendly. I never got to see the pool because they wouldn't let me see it without signing in and giving my room number.

I have to say that I liked the Waldorf Hilton and would gladly stay here again.

PROS: Executive lounge, location, breakfast, bedroom
CONS: Some service personnel, no way to get ice on my own, gym personnel

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room with a view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Waldorf Hilton London. It is great to know that you had a nice stay and that your overall experience has been a success.
Thank you also for the generous score which has been appreciated by all the teams here and for choosing the Waldorf Hilton for your stay in London. I can confirm that your feedback has been shared with all the team here and should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. I would also like to emphasize that it is through continuous feedback that we are able to objectively review the facilities and services we provide to ensure that they meet our guests' expectations. Your constructive feedback is much appreciated as we do our best to make sure our guests feel comfortable.
I hope we may have soon the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel and in the meantime if there is anything I can assist you with please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Once upon a time, long time ago, The Waldorf Hilton was a real 5 star. Now its a hit and mess, depends on who you meet of their staff when you need something. Some receptionist offered the best services you could ever have, but then sometime you get literally the rudest receptionists you can ever imagine. One day its the fantastic "cleaning lady" and some other days you get the lady who just forgot to get you a clean drinking glass. The Waldorf Hilton had 50% off during high season this summer (you wonder why?) I stayed there for 4 days, and here is my short quick (and dirty) list:

Pros
- friendly concierge

- great awesome breakfast (make sure you get a booking with breakfast included, otherwise seriously get a 3 stars hotel)

- 2 out of the 4 receptionists I ran into were extremely friendly

- nicely refurbished rooms.

Cons:

-Not all rooms are refurbished, like any other "3 star hotel" you have to make sure you try your best to get a room in the refurbished floor (refurbished floors are in the 3rd and 4th.) they make you beg for it.

- You pay a fortune for a 24 hours internet.

- they use guest elevators as service elevators (don't try to use the Olympics as an excuse, im staying at The Waldorf Hilton.)

- the drinking glasses in the room were not clean, twice!

- Sure its near many theaters, but if you are in it for the theater then forget about it already! the hotel atmosphere is very disconnected from anything theatrical. very dull and gloomy nothing "theatrical" about it, only for the emails you get from the "Guest Relation Manager" at the end of your "3 star" hotel stay telling "sorry for the horrible experience you had" as they "hope to see you again and take care of you". Why bother come back? London has thousands of hotels, i suggest you click on your next option.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th rooms are refurbished. but if you still have the chance, keep looking for another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank ArchieKnight
Juliane H, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear valued guest,

I regret to learn about your recent experiences at The Waldorf Hilton London. The details you have articulated are not consistent with our service standards and I would like to request for more information from you for our management team’s investigation. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to contact me at juliane.hohnstedt@hilton.com in order for me to personally extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Was dreading looking for a hotel during the Olympics but was surprised at how many rooms were still available. After some hunting and a leaning towards Hilton from my Diamond Membership I settled on this hotel. First of all, what a terrific location. It was well placed near Holborn Station to get to the Olympic Park and the Strand was close as was Trafalgar Square.

My bags were taken care of when we pulled up in the car and reception was friendly and helpful. No upgrade to a bigger room (I booked a Queen Double) but it was newly refurbished and I still had Executive Lounge access. They did say to check back the next day to see if a room had freed up.

The Quuen Hilton room is pretty small and dark. Not unexpected in London. It has been nicely refurbished and the bedroom area was nice enough with a decent sized desk and flat panel TV. The bathroom was pretty small but adequate.

The Executive Lounge has been refurbished and although not very large, it never seemed very crowded. This was fantastic as I expected it to be extremely busy during this time. Breakfast included hot dishes (so not just continental) and then there was afternoon tea and canapes and drinks in the evening. The staff were generally pretty helpful and friendly.

On the second day I asked if an Executive Room had become available which it had. So I quickly packed and left my luggage in the room and it was dutifully moved when I returned in the late afternoon. This was a much bigger room with the windows looking on to the street rather than the central atrium. It was a little older in decor but still quite nice. The bathroom was a much better size and the towel heater worked in this one! It did seem to be lacking in some of the extra toiletries you normally find in an executive room though. It was nice to have a separate area for a study.

As mentioned in another review, the concierge team were most helpful. On my last day, even once I had checked out, I was able to wait in the Executive Lounge until my car arrived to take me to the airport.

I was pleasantly surprised and would return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Juliane H, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012