“good but not impressed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“good but not impressed”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed a night there during the Olympics. Perhaps it was the Waldorf name but I had high expectations for the hotel which were not completely met. I had to remind them about the complimentary bottles of water. The room was small although the bathroom was spacious. I asked the concierge about the triathlon event that was taking place that day as I wanted to watch it and he did not appear to know much about it, which surprised me considering the Olympics is a major event and the triathlon was an event that could be watched for free. Luckily I got more help from the volunteers at the tube station. It would have been helpful to provide information of nearby tube stations on its website but I suspect it was intentionally omitted because of its image and they expect all guests to arrive in a car/cab. I had to call them to find out the information as i was arriving by tube. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Sandra G, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel and service that we provide.
We are not perfect as yet, but we strive to be. And only with the help of our guests’ feedback we are able to do that.
I hope that you will visit us in a near future and that I would be able to personally welcome you back.
In the meantime please contact me if I can be of any future assistance.
Sandra Guiskyte
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We stayed in the hotel Friday to Sunday, I had called the hotel prior to arrival to explain that it was my partners birthday on the day of checking in. Upon check-in the hotel had upgraded us to a newly refurbished Executive Room. The staff had left a birthday cake in the room for my partner which was a lovely touch. The room was beautiful, the bathroom was really spacious with double sinks and an amazing shower!
The location of the hotel is perfect for Covent Garden, Leicester Square and a number of theatres...all within walking distance.
The breakfast was really good too, plenty to choose from, always fresh and the staff are really freindly and helpful.
The only negative (and this is a minor negative) is that the swimming pool and surrounding area looks really tired and dated.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Juliane H, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Waldorf Hilton experiences on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that you had stayed with us to celebrate your Birthday and that you enjoyed the extra little touches that we provide throughout our facilities.

We are equally pleased to know about your breakfast experience in Homage Grand Salon and this will be shared with the team accordingly. We are also grateful for your kind comment regarding the service of our team members and thank you for giving us the opportunity to look after you on this very special occasion.

Moreover, we have taken note of your comments regarding the LA Fitness area in our hotel and would like to inform you that this will be reviewed accordingly.

All your kind comments both positive and constructive are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

With warm regards,

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The cachet that comes with the name is probably lived up to more in this hotel than in the Waldorf-Astoria in New York, as it does not have the faded glory feel of its New York cousin.

I was upgraded to a junior suite, which was reasonable, but I have to say that I would not have been exactly blown away had I paid for a junior suite and got a reasonable, but not enormous, bedroom with a small sofa. Particularly poor, given that it was a junior suite, was the bath which was no bigger than some of Hilton's other properties in London that are a quarter of the price.

The location is not ideal for public transport, but it is very central. My biggest gripe was the lifts, that were sclerotic. For a top flight hotel to have lifts that would have been embarrasingly slow 100 years ago was a source of increasing frustration during my stay.

Overall, it's acceptable but there are much better central London hotels at the luxury end.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel.
While we were happy to hear that your overall experience was a success, we are disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with the room size and the speed of our lifts.
We always try and do our very best to accommodate all of our guests' requests therefore I would be delighted if you contacted me prior to your next stay at the Waldorf so that I can oversee your reservation. My e-mail address is juliane.hohnstedt@hilton.com.

With kind regards,

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I booked afternoon tea at the Waldorf for my fathers birthday 27/07/12. The afternoon tea was advertised with a history tour of the hotel preceding the tea, this was the reason I choose this particular hotel. I booked over the 'phone 10 days before. On arrival no-one knew where we should go, eventually we were approached by a member of staff who informed us that they couldn't provide the tour as rooms were unavailable due to the volume of Olympic personnel staying. We were offered a glass of champagne which I accepted as I felt I had no choice, there were 5 of us waiting for tea. When we got into the dining room 3 tables were pushed together for us, I didn't feel they were even expecting us. The tea took a while to arrive and after it was delivered no-one came back to see if we were alright or check if we needed anything, one person made do with one cup of coffee. The sandwiches were adequate, the cakes were better. I felt what should have been a pleasant memorable family occasion was spoiled, I am sure they must have realised the olympic personnel would be staying and shouldn't have been offering a afternoon tea service at this time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank knittycat
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable comments following your recent experience at the Waldorf Hilton.

We apologise for the shortfalls in service you experienced and we thank you for bringing these to our attention. I strongly believe that these issues you have rightfully mentioned are the exception rather than the rule however we recognise the need for improvement. Please rest assured that our Food and Beverage management team is taking immediate actions following your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waldorf Hilton hotel in the near future and in the mean time if I can be of further assistance, please do contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Sandra Guiskyte
Guest Relations Manager
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed in one of the executive rooms on business. I must say the room was very large and the atmosphere was more than good, but I wasn't too impressed with the view and I believe the room is overpriced for what it offers. There are better luxury hotels in the surroundings, such as Corinthia, Royal Horseguards and St Martins Lane. Waldorf is historical and it's just two minutes away from Covent Garden, which makes the wonderful location a plus. But the recently refurbished rooms' style leave much to be desired, with an absurd glass panel behind the bed depicting some of the most famous London landmarks plus some clothing items and even an iron (?!) what's that supposed to mean? A finer touch would be most appreciated. Room service was fast and efficient, and the swimming pool in the basement is a tiny gem. I couldn't enjoy breakfast as I was running late, therefore I cannot judge it. I would definitely go back, but only at a cheaper price.

Room Tip: I guess the back facing rooms are quieter than the ones overlooking the Aldwych, even if the rear vi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Brighton
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We chose to stay at the Waldorf Hilton as we were seeing a show at the Duchess Theatre and wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and bars of Covent Garden without having to walk too much. In this respect, the Waldorf Hilton was perfect as it is in a great location.
Reception was efficient and friendly, and our room (a refurbished "Queen" on the 2nd-floor) was bright and clean and more than spacious for us as we were just staying the one night.
After the theatre, we returned for a night-cap in the bar and had a couple of excellent cocktails - this was despite us arriving in the bar just after 1am. The bar is open till 2am.
The only disappointment was breakfast. We had read on Trip Advisor that breakfast was something special, and perhaps it is in the Executive Lounge, but in the main dining room on the ground floor it was nothing special. Like many other places (which are a lot cheaper than £230 a night for a double room) it was a buffet breakfast, and (like most breakfast buffets) it can get a bit rough at the bacon and sausage counter! The hotel cannot be held responsible for the rude behavior of its guests, but table service (rather than buffet) would go a long way to restoring the impression of good service and reputation of the hotel.
Would I go back? Probably yes, but I next time I would either have breakfast served in our room, or go elsewhere. Room service prices looked very reasonable and, as as my partner only wanted eggs benedict, we would have enjoyed that more than the buffet experience.
One other point: when we arrived at 3pm we had missed lunch and wanted some refreshment. We left the hotel and had tea at the nearby Delauney (which we knew of as we'd been there before) but had we known that a proper English "tea" was being served in the hotel's Homage Patisserie then we would have gone there instead. The manager should ensure that reception staff inform guests when they arrive what is available, as profit is walking out of the door!

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade if offered.
1 Thank moorhey
Juliane H, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton London. I enjoyed reading your mostly positive feedback and am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay.
On a different note, I have forwarded your constructive comments regarding the breakfast service and information about the Patisserie, to the concerned teams and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
I do hope that we may soon have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Waldorf Hilton and please don't hesitate to contact the Guest Relations team when arranging your reservation.

With kind regards,

London
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were going to a show and wanted to soak up some of londons theatre land atmosphere.
This was a great place to do it in, it was a 2min walk to Covent garden and surrounded by theatres and shows, it was set back off the road so it was lovely and quiet & was an ideal place just to soak up the London life.
The room was small but perfect for the two of us, the bathroom was clean and well presented.
We had a drink in the gorgeous bar late in the evening and enjoyed a great cocktail in a nice atmosphere.
The staff were lovely & it was a nice place to stay.

We didn't have breakfast or dinner in..... But then with Covent garden & the west end right on your doorstep, why would you stay in the hotel!

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Hilton London for your recent stay and for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. Your comments are much appreciated and have been shared with our team members. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at the Waldorf Hilton London, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.
We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and we look forward to seeing you back at the Waldorf Hilton London soon!

With warm regards,