“Nice long weekend in london”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #340 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We had a great long weekend in London, our stay was at the Waldorf hotel.
Our room was nice, clean and with all the space we needed.
The staff is very helpful and friendly, I will recommend this too all my close friends.
Breakfast was a standard continental breakfast but staff again was great and friendly.
Looking for any faults as some people have Wright about as the room was not nice and the staff was rude I must say I did not find it.
Next time I am in London this will be my pick again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank wietzeklijnstra
Ben D, Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Wietzeklijnstra,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Waldorf Hilton on Trip Advisor. I am always happy to read reviews from guests that have enjoyed their experience at our hotel and hope that you will be returning very soon.

Ben Deane

Write a ReviewReviews (4,375)

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I just returned from another fabulous visit to London's West End. I stayed at the Waldorf-Hilton on Aldwych, such a perfect location walking distance to the South End (The Eye), the theater district, Trafalgar Square where I saw Prince Harry, and Covent Garden. The Concierge Team, led by Daniel Firth, was beyond any expectation. I had access to theatre tickets that were phenomenal, and every courtesy you could imagine including... I woke up with a sore throat and in 40 minutes there was a doctor at my hotel room door. Daniel and his team let NOTHING interfere with my fabloulous vacation. I never lifted a finger. They sent packages for me, arranged my baggage and arranged for me a luxurious (and less expensive) ride back to Heathrow. The in-house restaurant, Homage, provided healthy and delicious meals and the service was outstanding. I was a princess for ten days. Thank you to a competent and courteous and most kindhearted staff in a venue whose name speaks for itself. I recommend the Waldorf Aldwych wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: I would arrange the room through the hotel (in-house reservations) and tell them EXACTLY what your n...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear LindaMireille,

Thank you very much for your review. I was glad to hear that you returned to our hotel and found your stay just as enjoyable as your previous stays with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Booked this well located, well known hotel at the last minute expecting a five star experience and was bitterly disappointed. Arrived at the hotel carrying two pieces of luggage, greeted by unsmiling door man, and an efficient but also unsmiling receptionist. Main reception is very unimpressive, bland and soulless. Carried my own luggage to my premier deluxe room( paid an extra £15 for an upgrade which I assume was for a refurbished room). At first site the room was fairly impressive, large, airy and clearly recently refurbished, with an extremely large and well appointed bathroom. Didn't have time to think about it too much until I returned late from dinner. The room was unbearably hot and I discovered that the a/c was not working, also no instructions on how to operate it, tried to open the window, but restricted by locks to just 2 inches which was not enough to cool the room, therefore bad nights sleep. In the morning, had to hunt the tea tray, which was weirdly positioned right at the back of a walk in wardrobe, along with the mini bar, wardrobe was deep and badly lit. Horrible UHT milk on the tray, no fresh milk in the fridge. Water in bathroom was luke warm, and the water pressure in the shower was ridiculously low, dirty marks on the back of the bathroom door, towels clean but we'll past their sell by date.
On a B&B rate so decided to have breakfast in the main restaurant where I was greeted by first friendly member of staff! Ordered poached eggs as part of my breakfast, I had to ask twice, when they eventually arrived after 15 minutes they were cold and rock hard, the breakfast buffet was extensive but of poor quality, e.g streaky bacon, undercooked, fatty and tasteless. Serving staff were pleasant but clearly disorganised and appeared to have no real grasp on service delivery. Noticed unused conference screens and tables in the lobby area on my way back to my room.
This hotel strikes me as a property that is being run on a very tight budget, where decisions on design and presentation have been made on cost, not with customer experience in mind. It has a feeling that staff have been told what to do and are going through the motions !
In summary, no style, no finesse, no warmth..... hugely disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose a refurbished room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris D

Dear Chris D,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Waldorf Hilton. I was disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations and that you felt that you did not receive our usual standard of service.

I hope that you give us the opportunity to show you that we are able to provide the exceptional service you expected and should have received during your stay with us.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The room we had booked was not available on check-in. While at the time of check-in and checkout I was extremely disappointed at the way our booking was handled, it did not seem the time or the place to complain or spoil our weekend by complaining. I express my utmost disappointment that a booking as a present from our children, booked in December 2012 and confirmed by myself when we added a further day, and which was followed up with a phone to the hotel by myself in January 2013, where a gentleman confirmed the two bookings and the room would be available. While I appreciate the addition of breakfast and a bottle of house wine were necessary gestures, it in no way confirms to me and none of the hotel staff have yet explained, why was our room not available, after being booked so long in advance. I would appreciate an honest response.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear BertWestSussex,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Without guest feedback we would not be able to monitor our service standards and keep them at a level we have become known for.

If you could please contact me on benjamin.deane@hilton.com and explain exactly what happened I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I arrived in London from the US at 9am. I booked a room for the night prior so I could have a bed to take a nap in when I arrived. I got there and checked in right away. When I got to the room I was absolutely disgusted. It was room 703 and I could believe how old, outdated, dirty, and just not well appointed the room was. The air condition was on the floor and was just so old it hardly blew out anything. The room only had one super small port hole window in both the bedroom and bathroom. It felt more like a prison room that a hotel room. I went to the front desk to let them know this room would not work for me. I spoke to a very rude and snotty clerk whose name was Amilton I believe. He was just not accommodating at all. I booked through Expedia so I called them to ask for their assistance and they were of no help either. They actually hung up on my twice.

Then I received a call from Elisa with Guests Services. She was TERRIFIC. She showed me a room on the 4th floor that was so beautiful and very well appointed. It felt like it was in a totally different hotel than the first room. I quickly moved to the new room and all fo my experiences from that point on was great. The renovated rooms are beautiful, the front door staff is so friendly and the concierge team worked hard to find us reservations for dinner each night.

The location for this hotel couldnt be any better. The amount of theaters, pubs, and restaurants in walking distance was unlimited. I would certainly recommend this hotel but only for the floors with renovated rooms.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room. I knwo the rooms on the 7th and 8th floor are not renovated.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank livingintampa

Dear LivinginTampa,

I have passed your comment onto Elisa and she was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

stayed here for 4 nights last week, floors 1 through 5 have been refurbished and are very nice, room was good on first floor no noise from street with secondary glazing. very busy so other than breakfast, which was good did not eat in hotel on this trip. Staff very friendly and helpful as always. right in the middle of theatre land and below covent garden.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ben D, Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear PinkHolidayMan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Waldorf Hilton on TripAdvisor. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location allowed you to have a great time in London. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have stayed at the Waldorf several times over the last few years and I usually enjoy the experience of staying in one of London's older, grander hotels. As you might expect, the service levels here are pretty high and the food is generally good but it all comes at a really high price, which I sometimes struggle to justify. Rooms are good enough - not huge but reasonable. The real value of this hotel lies in its location on the edge of Covent Garden, which is about as good as it gets in London.

A couple of disappointing features of the Waldorf include the public spaces, which are really limited. The bar is tiny for this size of hotel and the "reception area" is like a corridor that runs across the front of the property. Not at all impressive for a 5-star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher levels tend to be quieter, as are rooms that face out the back of the property (thou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CJWWW

Dear CJWWW,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.