“Major improvement; great stay”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #331 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been at this hotel on several occasions but have not returned in a few years because I thought the hotel needed some renovation and that the service needed some improvement. Things have changed dramatically for the better. The rooms are updated and done very nicely. The hallways seems to have gotten a facelift as well and it all works together very nicely, as does the Executive Lounge. The staff are now very accommodating and helpful from the front desk to the attendants at the door. The beds are comfy and the bathrooms very nice and updated as well (my only complaint here is that my room did not have a separate walk-in shower.
The location near Covent Garden is quite nice and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here.

1  Thank Kenbob
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for once again choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your loyalty to our Hotel and your feedback is invaluable.
We were delighted to read that following your previous stay with us, you have since noticed an improvement in our services, most notably to our facilities. Your comments go a long way in motivating and encouraging the team and rest assured your comments will be shared. I have taken on board your comments in regards to the seperated walk in shower and I would like to inform you that we do have certain rooms with an seperated walk in shower.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit to the area. In the meantime, please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed at the Waldorf London on a business trip to London. The hotel is historic and has a great character. The rooms are nicely updated in a way that maintains the character; the entire property is well kept. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant, though, was just okay; but there are plenty of great places to eat near the Hotel. The location couldn't be better if you are seeing plays, shopping in Convent Garden, or visiting the British Museum or London School of Economics.
Only complaint: Like a lot of European Hiltons, the Waldorf doesn't seem enthusiastic about the Hilton loyalty program--you won't necessarily be acknowledged, offered upgrades, or even given the guaranteed perks associated with your Hilton status. Despite this, I would happily return to this property.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Barb1976

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London as well for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We were very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I hope you were able to enjoy some lovely theatres and restaurant whilst staying with us.

I was saddened to read that you were not acknowledged as a Hilton Hhonors member upon check in as this is one of Hilton's brand service standards and I would greatly appreciate to have more information about your stay as it will enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards and, vitally important, helping us to achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world’s travellers. Please feel free to contact me via email eline.christiaanse@hilton.com or by telephone +44 (0) 207 759 4255.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

I look forward to hear from you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at end April, and were very relieved we decided to spend a little more and stay in central London, as there was an Underground tube service strike for 3 of the 4 days we were there, which we didn't even notice.
London hotels are expensive, and the centre of London even more so. However if you have to spend the money anyway, you could do a lot worse than the Waldorf Hilton. We had a good sized Executive Plus room which gave us all-day access to the Executive lounge, a complimentary breakfast in the lounge every morning, daily newspaper, Wifi, and we were able to organise an early check in on the morning we arrived. The staff were unfailingly polite, helpful and pleasant, and very unobtrusive.
Regarding the room: on the plus side, I think this was the most comfortable bed my husband and I ever had the pleasure to sleep in... the perfect mattress, with perfect pillows. The desk had all we needed to plug in our various devices, the room was nicely laid out, and the window opened up onto an inner roofed courtyard so no street noise.
On the minus side, the water was warm rather than hot, with low water pressure. This was a bit disappointing as there's nothing I like more after a long day out walking than a good long piping hot shower or bath :-) Also, the mini bar fridge wasn't working.
We did a lot of walking every day so didn't use the gym, although it looked very well appointed with excellent facilities.
The real advantage of the Waldorf is its excellent location. It was close to the business district my husband needed to be in for meetings, Covent Garden is right there with its multitude of attractions, bars and restaurants, wonderful shows within a couple of blocks, walking distance to Waterloo Bridge over the Thames, Trafalgar Square, St James Park, etc. We walked central London flat without having to get on a bus, tube or taxi once, with the exception of a ride up to Camden.
Aside from all the above, it's a hotel with that lovely London elegance. Gleaming dark wood, brass, beautiful iconic pictures, a touch of retro glamour, velvet armchairs, leather, and an overall sense of unobtrusive luxurious style and comfort.
We had a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and that you had a good night sleep at our Hotel. I was glad to learn from your comments that you enjoyed our Executive lounge and that you took great advantage of our location.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit and I would like to offer my assistance when making a new reservation.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I can't even get them to answer the main switchboard to make a booking or reservation or talk about my up and coming event.

Absolutely appalling that they can't answer their main switchboard on a Saturday afternoon and when they do, they transfer you to either a voicemail or a system that asks for the number in your party.

If they don't have anyone to answer the phones what would it be like if you are a guest?

On the basis that they don't have the basic's right I would avoid.

Eventually after 12 calls and 20 minutes I spoke with someone alluded to being a manager who also struggled to deal.

Then 30 minutes later they said I had no booking, but they were looking at the wrong time!!!

Neither professional or good for a worldwide 5* brand.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments related to your upcoming stay at the Waldorf Hilton London.

I would like to convey my sincerest apologies for your disappointing experience so far. I was saddened to learn that your expectations have not been fully met and I understand as to why you are disappointed.

I take onboard your comments in regards to the overall experience, especially the short falls you encountered with the automatic voicemail message you encountered. We are known for our excellent customer service, however on this occasion this was not the case and I understand how frustrating it must have been for you.

I have spoken with the relevant teams and I am confident this was only a one off occasion. Please note that we are currently looking into this matter to make sure that our guests will be able to reach us at any time.

As Hotelier's we aim to exceed expectations at every opportunity and on this occasion we have clearly failed. We look forward to meeting you on the occasion of your upcoming visit to prove that this was a one off disappointment.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This Hilton was very busy when I was there, however I was surprised by the poor quality of the room (small/noisy) and the superbusy breakfast. As breakfast ends at 10:00 there was a huge line at 9:45, I had to wait 20 mins to get a seat!

The hotel staff was not to bothered when I told them that I was not to pleased with this. Next time I will not return to this hotel. Would recommend the Park Plaza westminster.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank pajanssen
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments related to your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton London.

I take onboard your comments in regards to the overall experience, especially the short falls you encountered with the room and breakfast. We are known for our excellent customer service, however on this occasion this was not the case and I understand how frustrating it must have been for you.

I have spoken with the relevant teams and I am confident that this has been fully disucssed with the team for improvement. We are also currently in process of refurbishment and we hope to finish this project by this time next year. As Hotelier's we aim to exceed expectations at every opportunity and on this occasion we have clearly failed. I truly hope that you give us the opportunity to prove that this was a one off disappointment that you experienced and look forward to meeting you on the occasion of your next visit.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here to do London Marathon, and it's in an excellent location for getting to the start - Charing Cross Station is less than a 10 minute walk, and close by for the end. It's also very close to Covent Garden and Leicester Square.As the concierge said, fastest way to either is on foot. Literally next door is Mama Mia. Checking the prices of the hotel though, it is pretty pricey.

Had a Deluxe Room, overlooking the main road on second floor. Not too noisy with the glazing, but could tell there was a road nearby. The Executive Lounge (Diamond HHonours member) got a little busy at around 7, and also at breakfast time. They did offer to take people down to the restaurant for Breakfast, and the Lounge Manager also updated me for Complimentary Full Breakfast in the restaurant in case it was busy.

Lounge, when not busy, is relaxing. Noticed a lot of American's using the lounge though. Suspect they've worked out that getting an exec room was cheaper overall for them with complimentary breakfast and drinks. Sausages were excellent (post race), and the lounge manager was very accommodating at breakfast (I wanted some Soya Milk, which was no problem).

If you're doing the marathon, then stay here if you can afford to. Once you arrive in London, other than going to the Expo and the start line, you'll be on foot! They had towels, bananas and water bottles "For All Our Marathon Running Guests" in the morning. Very nice touch.

Dear guest,

We were very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I hope you enjoyed the marathon whilst staying with us and we are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

If I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights; chosen because great location - came for two opera performances - max 10 min to ROH. On arrival we were met by butler who helped us with our bag; at reception we were told that our room is ready as we requested early check-in;
also - which is very strange - we were asked about debit/credit card deposit £50 for each night - this thing we never had anywhere else (we payed for our stay on time of booking);
we were asked if we would be happy with the room for disabled we agreed and were offered room 225;
on the way to the room we did not see any access for wheelchairs; it is large and quite room; shower was also large but unsafe to be used for disabled - no rubber mats the floor is like a glass when wet with the soap, no folding chair to sit for disabled; entry to the shower is narrow, has step which not everyone disabled person could win; there are bars on both sides inside. Is it really room for disabled person?
I can not comment about breakfast - did not have one at the hotel - there are plenty cafes and restaurants offering breakfasts around the hotel.
Swimming pool are is of very poor maintenance - water with debris and dirt in conners, paint peels off everywhere, mould; locker room needs redesigning at least lockers - make them suitable for everyone - or do we need to carry everywhere own padlocks to use locker?

1  Thank Dmitry K
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to convey my sincerest apologies for your disappointing experience. I was saddened to learn that your expectations were not met and I fully understand as to why you were disappointed. I would like to inform you that room 225 is a semi-accessible room due to the alarm system which is placed in this particular room and we therefore notify our guests that this is an accessible room. We do have multiple full accessible rooms within the hotel without any steps, with a walk in shower and a lower installed wardrobe and sink for our disabled guests. Please accept my apologies if this has caused you any inconvenience whilst staying with us.

I take on board your comments in regards to our LA Fitness facilities, especially the short falls you encountered with the maintenance of the lockerroom. We are known for our excellent customer service, however on this occasion this was not the case and I understand how frustrating it must have been for you. Please note that I have forwarded your comments to the General manager of LA Fitness to look into this matter as this is certainly not up to standards.