“Fine for one night, nothing special”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #334 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Fine for one night, nothing special”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business as it was close for a breakfast meeting. Hotel is nothing spectacular and I thought the room and bathroom was a bit tired, but fine for one night. It's not somewhere I would choose for a special occasion as London has so many great hotels.

Staff were helpful and accommodated my request for a quieter room with less traffic noise - always an issue in Central London.

Food was ok. It does annoy me however that many hotels charge a ridiculous tray charge for room service - £5. It means you are less likely to give a tip as you feel you are paying twice for someone bringing the food to your room. Would always prefer to tip the person rather than the hotel but I guess that's the corporate part of Hilton.

Would stay here again as close for work which is my main priority.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ScaryMaryUk
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London as well for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

We were very appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I was also glad to read that the hotel was in a convenient location for you and that you will be staying with us again in the future.
I have taken on board you comments in regards to the room and bathroom being out dated and I would like to inform you that we are looking into this.

Eline C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I've always walked past this place and wondered what it would be like inside, so decided to treat a friend to afternoon tea. As we walked in I was somewhat surprised at how unkempt it look. We were shown to our table I was disappointed how gloomy the room was, it looked exactly like the outside of the Lyceum Theatre with the massive cream pillars that look as though they haven't been cleaned for years.

The chairs we sat in were so shabby. We ordered a glass of champagne, when the waitress brought it over it was so obvious she did not know how to pour it,her hand was shaking so much and it could hardly hold the size of the bottle, because she was holding it incorrectly, but I said nothing and let her continue, it took her quite a while to pour as she seemed surprised that the glass was filled with bubbles as soon as she started pouring it. I didn't want to make her nervous, so said nothing, but would have thought that the Waldorf would have trained their staff better than that as it was clearly not the waitresses fault.

Our waiter brought the tea over straight away so, evidently it went cold as we were drinking the champagne. When the waiter brought our sandwiches to the table he carefully and precisely explained each one however, they were so bland, but the scones and cakes were very delicate and melted in your mouth.

There was quite a lot of cakes and you really need to be a big eater to finish them, but they are more than happy to pack them in a pretty box for you to take home.

Now my curiousity has been satisfied about the Waldorf "Hilton" I will not return there or recommend it for afternoon tea, no wonder they are advertising through the cheap deals websites!

In my mind the Waldorf always conjured up the elegant thirties, needless to say I was very disappointed to see it looked like the place had not been cleaned since the thirties!!!

Again, bet you any money this is due to the name Waldor "HILTON", I have been to so, so many of their establishments through business and they succeed to fail every time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments related to your recent visit at the Waldorf Hilton London.

I would like to convey my sincerest apologies for your disappointing experience. I was saddened to learn that your expectations were not met and I fully understand as to why you were disappointed.

I take onboard your comments in regards to the overall experience, especially the short falls you encountered with the service, sandwiches during afternoon tea and the cleanliness of the restaurant. We are known for our excellent customer service, however on this occasion this was not the case and I understand how frustrating it must have been for you.

I have spoken with the relevant teams and I am confident that a new training plan has been set up to ensure a beter service and guest experience for our guests. I have also forwarded your feedback to the Executive chef to look into the containings of our sandwiches.

As Hotelier's we aim to exceed expectations at every opportunity and on this occasion we have clearly failed. I truly hope that you give us the opportunity to prove that this was a one off disappointment that you experienced and look forward to meeting you on the occasion of your next visit.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights over the May Bank Holiday weekend to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. My clever husband had found it at a bargain price on Telegraph Secret Escapes. The breakfast was included in the price & that alone should have been £22 each per day for a full English breakfast. On the first morning we were informed that they were expecting it to be very busy, so anyone who arrived for breakfast before 9am would get a free glass of Bucks Fizz. We got there at 8.55am & received our free glasses; it was available on the breakfast menu at £9.50 per glass. We only had a standard room but it was lovely, with a separate entrance lobby leading to the bathroom, with the bedroom off to the left. The Hotel is ideally situated, just off The Strand, on the edge of Theatre Land & very close to Convent Garden, so we walked everywhere, including to the theatre where we saw War Horse, Oxford Street, The London Eye & Churchill's War Rooms. Other reviewers have complained about the noise, but we were on the 7th floor & it was very quiet. The staff were all very friendly & helpful as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London as well for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We were very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I am glad to read that you took such great advantage of our location whilst staying with us and we are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here regularly this year and this hotel gets better and better. Front desk staff are friendly, helpful and nothing is too much trouble. Prices are good, as long as you book in advance and facilities excellent. I will keep coming back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zen64
Dear guest,

Thank you for once again choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London as well for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We were very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I hope you were able to the Covent Garden area whilst staying with us and we are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great location but having booked a a treat weekend break away was rather disappointed in the room giving the famous name! !!wasnt really a wow!!!!just an average room really.staff was friendly and the breakfast was lovely

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank shayif
Dear guest,

We were very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. However, I was sad to read your comments in regards to your dissapointment about the room. I would like to learn more about your stay as it will enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world’s travellers. Please contact me via email eline.christiaanse@hilton.com or by telephone +44 (0) 207 759 4255.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on an almost weekly basis for the last 12 months. Tonight, in return for my loyalty, I have been 'upgraded' to room 107 which is directly above the downstairs conference hall and is currently hosting a live music performance that I can hear above the sound of the TV in my room. The friendly lady on the front desk has informed me that the performance is not due to finish until 12.30am and there is nothing else she can do as the hotel is fully booked tonight.

I choose to stay in this hotel above others because you hope to get a reasonable level of service and a good night's sleep; sadly, this is not the case and should no longer be considered a given before booking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Adam B
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear guest,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share your review through Tripadvisor related to your previous visit at The Waldorf Hilton London.

We greatly appreciate all comments made by our guests, whether positive or for our development as it allows for continued improvement in that which is most important to us, our guest service.

I was really concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I fully understand as to why you were dissapointed.

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotel against Hilton's high service and quality standards. I would like to learn more about your stay as it will enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world’s travellers. Please contact me via email eline.christiaanse@hilton.com or by telephone +44 (0) 207 759 4255.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

I look forward to hear from you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Recently stayed with my husband for a surprise 50th birthday treat. Cannot fault the location, room very comfortable, stayed for 2 nights, but would say this hotel is one for tourists, over priced and not 5*. We had a terrific stay in London over the 2 days unfortunately my stay was spoilt by the sight of a mouse running around the bar on the second night. I captured the mouse running around on my phone and showed it to the bar manager, he apologised profusely and gave us a complementary cocktail, assure us he would get pest control in that same night, however he did not seem overly worried and I got the impression that this was not the first time this has happened. Despite giving our room number, when we checked out no other apology, compensation, or reassurance that the matter had been acted upon was given by the reception staff. Due to this experience not sure if I would return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

I was really concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I fully understand as to why you were disappointed.

I look forward to hear from you in the near future.