“Great location, choose your room carefully”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #343 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, UK
“Great location, choose your room carefully”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Classic hotel in a excellent location around the corner from the Strand, Fleet Street and Covent Garden. Room category and choice is everything at this hotel. Regular categories (Queen Bed Rooms) are often small, pokey and uninviting. You really need to be booking a 'Deluxe Plus' or 'Executive Plus' category to get a room style that you'd expect from a hotel of this nature. If you are booking a standard room you are better off in other hotels.

I often feel sorry for the people who book the hotel for a special ocassion, book a standard room expecting luxury and end up with a small room they'd have paid half the price for up the road.

However, if you book a Deluxe Plus, Exec Plus or above you will get a nice room in keeping with the standard of hotel you'd expect.

All rooms are in the process of being refurbished so if you want a refurbished room (which are much nicer) then make sure you book a 'Plus' category. You can tell refurbished rooms on website pictures as they have 'blue' furnishings.

The old rooms are fine, but refurbished ones are much better.

Has a great gym (provided by LA fitness in the basement) which also has a small 14m pool, steam room and sauna. However, don't think luxury. These facilities are very much 'ageing sports club' rather than 'luxury spa' with paint flaking off the walls and fairly dirty. Although these facilities are provided by LA fitness I do think Hilton could do with spending a few thousand making them look more presentable, as they'd be a great asset for the hotel. As it stands they are a negative.

Breakfast is excellent, either in the executive lounge or the beautiful Homage restaurant. As a Diamond guest I get to eat in either but a little disappointed to get charged 6 quid extra if I want a sausage or an egg. It seems penny pinching given the thousands I must spend there every year. Its also not something I've experienced in any other Hilton around the world. They money they earn from this must be outweighed by the goodwill they lose by charging it.

Service at breakfast can also be haphazard, but the setting and food makes up for it.

Housekeeping is strange at the hotel also with check in almost impossible before 3pm or 4pm which is the published time, but never known a hotel so short of rooms for check in. I'm guessing its down to housekeeping which is average at best. We often wait until 4pm for our room to be serviced, and they always miss things like tea, or small towels.

I don't think I've ever had a 'good' service in the hotel after over 100 nights or more.

They forget or miss something every time.

Even if you call them in the morning to service it can take 2 or 3 calls and several hours before they service the room.

I spoke to other regular guests and all get frustrated by the housekeeping.

It sounds a mixed review, but there is something about the hotel that keeps me coming back.

A few improvements would make it one of the best hotels in the area, improvements which might happen given so much increased competition in the area.

Room Tip: Never book a standard room. Book a Deluxe Plus or Executive Plus room if you want a spacious room, o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JUDITHbristol
Elisa B, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton and for the valuable feedback provided.

I am delighted to read that there is something about the hotel that keeps you coming back, I really hope it’s our amazing staff, and that you really like our “Plus” rooms and our breakfast.

I understand your disappointment about the supplement of £6 for breakfast, however it’s part of Hilton Policy and I hope it won't deter you from enjoy your morning meal at our beautiful Homage Restaurant.

Being one of our most regular guests I noticed you know very well the hotel and our rooms, therefore I can confirm that starting from January 2015 we will complete the refurbishment of our rooms and everything will become “Plus”.

I’m pleased to learn you enjoy our gym, but at the same time a bit sad that you consider the fitness centre a bit tired. As you know this service is provided by LA Fitness and your comment will be reported to relevant management.

About the housekeeping lack of service, please accept my apologies, I will report your comments to our Housekeeping Managers for immediate action.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback, I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and to personally look after you.

Best regards,
Elisa Bressanello
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Everything was perfect from start to finish. The room was spacious and the toiletries were lovely.
The staff were excellent and could not do enough for us- and the location perfect for us as we went to London for a show and the hotel is situated in 'Theatre land'

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ancenator
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this amazing review following your recent stay with us.

As we always do our best to exceed our guests' expectations, I am very pleased to read that everything during your stay at The Waldorf Hilton was simply perfect, our great staff, the beautiful room and the ideal location.

I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our hotel and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need.

Best regards,
Elisa Bressanello
Guest Relations Manager
New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After 180 reviews, including 60 for hotels in 60 different cities, we think that this is one of the best, if not the best of all. Elisa Bressanello and her team provided a really professional and at the same time friendly service which we couldn't fault - add to this the great facilities, location and food it made for an ideal place for our last few days in the UK and we'll certainly be returning. On the last day we were able to get a one day rental car from the hotel, delivered to the door, which we were then able to return to Heathrow airport at no extra cost. Nothing was too much for them or organize, including having a car deliver our passports to the airport when we forgot them at the hotel, and all in time for us to catch our flight out. We did have a superior/deluxe room and it was a special occasion for us and we just couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough - we came away feeling nurtured and refreshed and it doesn't get any better than that. To Bressanello and her team, Thank you all for such a great stay. David & Mary Bogan.

Room Tip: We found a high room overlooking the internal courtyard just great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Narziss
Sarah B, Front Office Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Mr and Mrs Bogan.

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback in regards to your recent stay with us at the Waldorf Hilton. We are delighted that Elisa and our team looked after you so well and I can’t wait to share your feedback with them. Elsa is a key member of our team here at the Waldorf and we will ensure that she is recognised for the outstanding service she and the rest of our team have provided. It was also very refreshing to learn about the service provided by our dedicated concierge team in arranging your transportation to the airport and for successfully returning your passports to you at the airport. We have a real passion here at the Waldorf for providing the special touches to each and every guests stay to make each one as memorable as possible and we are delighted that on your return home you felt suitably nurtured and refreshed.

Mr and Mrs Bogan, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Waldorf in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

UK
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here purely out of nostalgia as a friend and I spent NYE here 20 years ago.

The location is great and it can be a bargain if you get a deal and don't pay rack rate - I think we paid £244 per room which is good for a Saturday in Covent Garden.

But: they charge for wifi; they got the bill wrong by charging me for both rooms (despite our having 2 separate bookings and my friend handing over her card) and although she later paid me, that's not the point.

It's a shame, it's in such a great location but this hotel is generally a bit tired looking and in need of some pizazz. It could be fabulous, if only someone would restore it to its former glory.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wickedwaterwitch
Sarah B, Front Office Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am delighted that we were able to welcome you back after such a long period. First and foremost I would like to sincerely apologise for the apparent error with you account upon departure and I would be more than happy to investigate this further should you wish to send me the information personally.

As I’m sure that you are aware our beautiful hotel is over 100 years old and while most see this as the charm of our property I do understand that other can see this as tired looking. We are continuously conducting maintenance work on and around the hotel to ensure we keep up to the times but in turn we really want to keep the character feel of the hotel. We do have some exciting projects underway that will hopefully re-create the former glory that you spoke about so fondly.

Once again I thank you for your constructive review and I can assure you that your feedback has been noted.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for the weekend of our first wedding anniversary, after I remembered a business meeting here in 1986.
It is very well located in Aldwych, just off the Strand and only a stroll to Waterloo Bridge.
London is an expensive place to visit and our bill at the Waldorf, from Friday at 3.30pm to Monday at 11am, bed and breakfast was £710, so not cheap for a weekend.
The hotel is well kept but we had a room overlooking a central courtyard that you'd hardly describe as picturesque.
The room was small with a queensize bed with a very nice ensuite bathroom, safe, tea and coffee making facilities and air conditioning.
We paid for breakfast in the Grand Salon and it was very good indeed with attentive service and everything you could really wish for.
So all in all a very nice hotel and lovely weekend but I always wondered if there was something missing for a 5 star.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Mike P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a detailed review in regards to your recent Anniversary stay with us at the Waldorf Hilton and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable weekend.

I would however like to apologise that on this occasion you were not granted a room with a view, as I am sure you can imagine with 300 bedrooms and a very high occupancy it is not always possible however for future visits please do contact the hotel in advance and subject to availability we will be more than happy to allocate an appropriate room.

We are delighted about your feedback in our Grand Salon restaurant and our food and beverage team would like to join in my appreciation.

Here at the Waldorf we strive for perfection so if there is anything that you think was missing from your overall experience I would be delighted to hear from you so we can continue to improve our product and the service we provide. Please do contact me at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com and I would be more than happy to hear your thoughts.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel in an excellent location. Friendly staff on check in and nice, clean, airy room. Only downside was listening to the house keeping staff arguing outside our door early on a Sunday morning.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise E
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review following on from your stay with us.

I am very pleased that you were made to feel welcome by our friendly and efficient reception team and that you were pleased with your room allocation. I am however very apologetic about the noise disturbance outside your room on the Sunday morning, I will of course follow up with our Housekeeping Manager.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Waldorf in the near future.

England
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We've stayed several times at this hotel - the first time was in a standard room (which was disappointing) and twice in a superior/deluxe room (fantastic). The standard room was very expensive for what was an extremely small basic room with no view and when my husband mentioned this on a room feedback card we were contacted by management and offered a special rate for one of the superior rooms with complimentary access to the executive lounge. This was a fantastic room, very spacious, huge bathroom and with an outlook to the front. We liked it so much we returned for a third time. It's also great having access to the executive lounge with drinks and nibbles before going out to a show. We love this hotel and will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cooper17
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review in regards to your numerous stays with us at the Waldorf, I am delighted that we have re-gained your loyalty after a disappointing first experience.

As you will have noticed we do have very differing room types so its vitally important that you choose the room and package that best meets your needs on each occasion. If you do have any questions please contact the hotel directly and we will be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your loyalty and please introduce yourself when you are next coming to your home away from home.