“Almost perfect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

After reading other reviews, I must agree housekeeping is a persistent weak link. After 5 hours of being gone all day, returned to an untouched room at 430pm. Had to make several phone calls.
Aside from that we enjoyed everything else. A very nice renovated room. Loved the double sink in the bathroom. View of brick walls but it was very quiet. It seems the beautiful front facing rooms you would be subject to street noise. Very nice executive lounge, but be forewarned that summer brings many families with children. The gym is operated by LA fitness so it is very busy generally but fully equipped. Good Godfeys is a fabulous place to unwind. Excellent addition to this hotel. Overall we loved this hotel, location,staff, most aspects very good. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Try to get a removed room. First 5 floors. Avoid street side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyingbiz
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

We look forward to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

Eline C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked this Hotel for my 50th Birthday. I communicated clearly with the Hotel that I need 2 rooms, one for my elderly parents (who needed a room with a "disabled bathroom") and one for me next to them or nearby so I could look after them.
When we checked in my parents room was fine - but my room was some distance away and was very noisy and dark (air conditioning units outside). I complained, and had to move rooms the next day - huge inconvenience and made my weekend (which should have been fun) more stressful. I also complained about the cleanliness of the corridor outside my room - nothing was done about this. Do not accept room 109!!

We had access to the Executive Lounge which was great, although it did get very busy in the evenings and my parents had difficulty in finding seating. Food was OK for breakfast - certainly nothing to write home about.

Overall staff were friendly and professional - but the overall experience, especially since it was a special weekend, was spoiled. Overall for the price - disappointing - I am going to complain to the Hotel (AGAIN) and see what they do - other than send a cheap bottle of wine to the room. Generally the Hotel is tired and needs an upgrade - even though it is Grade II listed - this is no excuse!!

Room Tip: Do not use room 109
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Trevor0wen
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear guest,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share your review through Tripadvisor related to your previous visit at The Waldorf Hilton London.

We greatly appreciate all comments made by our guests, whether positive or for our development as it allows for continued improvement in that which is most important to us, our guest service.

I was really concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry you were disappointed.

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotel against Hilton's high service and quality standards. Normally our guests are very pleased with our rooms as these rooms in particular are newly refurbished as well as most of the hotels public areas. As the hotel is a listed building and due to it herritage we work very hard to maintain the hotels history and I regret that you feel that the hotel, in general, is not up to standards.

I would like to learn more about your stay as it will enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world’s travellers. Please contact me via email eline.christiaanse@hilton.com or by telephone +44 (0) 207 759 4255.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

I look forward to hear from you in the near future.

Eline C.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights with my wife. The hotel is not living up to its name. As many writes it needs a thorough upgrade. Furnitures are old and dirty though hotel staff are friendly. Breakfast also not very interesting.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jakob C
Yovany T, Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Sir\Madam,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time to share your review through Tripadvisor related to your previous visit at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I was really concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry you were very disappointed.

Comments from our guests enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world’s travelers.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

Yovany Santa Torres I Assistant Front of House Manager
Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here with an ex partner in May 2012 (late review, sorry!).
We were upgraded to an executive room, which was MASSIVE!
The bed was amazing and comfortable, the staff were lovely, professional and helpful.

The hotel itself is a little worn, but it suits it. Classic and oldschool.
I loved the bell boys with their top hats!

The only downfall for the room we had was that it was a bit old and worn, and the shower wasn't the best.
But it is a Hilton, so the room was great none the less.

The executive lounge is great! Quite big, and the selection of food and drinks is great!

It's not really near the city centre - but it doesn't take that long to walk their either!

I highly recommend if you have the money to splurge!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lanananaetc
Elisa B, Public Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel after your enjoyable stay in May 2012.

I am very happy to learn you really liked your Executive Room and the Classic style of our hotel, that you had good nights sleep and all the staff you met was very professional and helpful.

I would like to inform you that in 2013 we ran a partial refurbishment of the hotel rooms and we will complete it at beginning of 2015, therefore I hope you will have the opportunity to come back and try our new Executive Plus Rooms.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Waldorf Hilton

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked a theatre break staying at the famous 5 star Waldorf. Our large King room was at the front with a good view.The Waldorf is in a great London location with 2 theatres attached and Covert Garden around the corner. Our show War Horse was just behind the hotel. We had a pre theatre dinner which was good value with great service. The bar had a great atmosphere after the theatre but the drinks are expensive like the room rates

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gerry J
Elisa B, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete such a great review after your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton.

I am very pleased you had an amazing time with us and enjoyed our ideal location “Theatre Land”, the nice room facing Aldwych, the dinner and service, and hope you really liked the show “War Horse”

The bar has got a special and magic atmosphere in the evening. I regret you considered it a bit expensive, however our prices are in line with the ones of our competitors in central London.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon to the Waldorf Hilton

Bristol, UK
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Classic hotel in a excellent location around the corner from the Strand, Fleet Street and Covent Garden. Room category and choice is everything at this hotel. Regular categories (Queen Bed Rooms) are often small, pokey and uninviting. You really need to be booking a 'Deluxe Plus' or 'Executive Plus' category to get a room style that you'd expect from a hotel of this nature. If you are booking a standard room you are better off in other hotels.

I often feel sorry for the people who book the hotel for a special ocassion, book a standard room expecting luxury and end up with a small room they'd have paid half the price for up the road.

However, if you book a Deluxe Plus, Exec Plus or above you will get a nice room in keeping with the standard of hotel you'd expect.

All rooms are in the process of being refurbished so if you want a refurbished room (which are much nicer) then make sure you book a 'Plus' category. You can tell refurbished rooms on website pictures as they have 'blue' furnishings.

The old rooms are fine, but refurbished ones are much better.

Has a great gym (provided by LA fitness in the basement) which also has a small 14m pool, steam room and sauna. However, don't think luxury. These facilities are very much 'ageing sports club' rather than 'luxury spa' with paint flaking off the walls and fairly dirty. Although these facilities are provided by LA fitness I do think Hilton could do with spending a few thousand making them look more presentable, as they'd be a great asset for the hotel. As it stands they are a negative.

Breakfast is excellent, either in the executive lounge or the beautiful Homage restaurant. As a Diamond guest I get to eat in either but a little disappointed to get charged 6 quid extra if I want a sausage or an egg. It seems penny pinching given the thousands I must spend there every year. Its also not something I've experienced in any other Hilton around the world. They money they earn from this must be outweighed by the goodwill they lose by charging it.

Service at breakfast can also be haphazard, but the setting and food makes up for it.

Housekeeping is strange at the hotel also with check in almost impossible before 3pm or 4pm which is the published time, but never known a hotel so short of rooms for check in. I'm guessing its down to housekeeping which is average at best. We often wait until 4pm for our room to be serviced, and they always miss things like tea, or small towels.

I don't think I've ever had a 'good' service in the hotel after over 100 nights or more.

They forget or miss something every time.

Even if you call them in the morning to service it can take 2 or 3 calls and several hours before they service the room.

I spoke to other regular guests and all get frustrated by the housekeeping.

It sounds a mixed review, but there is something about the hotel that keeps me coming back.

A few improvements would make it one of the best hotels in the area, improvements which might happen given so much increased competition in the area.

Room Tip: Never book a standard room. Book a Deluxe Plus or Executive Plus room if you want a spacious room, o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JUDITHbristol
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton and for the valuable feedback provided.

I am delighted to read that there is something about the hotel that keeps you coming back, I really hope it’s our amazing staff, and that you really like our “Plus” rooms and our breakfast.

I understand your disappointment about the supplement of £6 for breakfast, however it’s part of Hilton Policy and I hope it won't deter you from enjoy your morning meal at our beautiful Homage Restaurant.

Being one of our most regular guests I noticed you know very well the hotel and our rooms, therefore I can confirm that starting from January 2015 we will complete the refurbishment of our rooms and everything will become “Plus”.

I’m pleased to learn you enjoy our gym, but at the same time a bit sad that you consider the fitness centre a bit tired. As you know this service is provided by LA Fitness and your comment will be reported to relevant management.

About the housekeeping lack of service, please accept my apologies, I will report your comments to our Housekeeping Managers for immediate action.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback, I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and to personally look after you.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Everything was perfect from start to finish. The room was spacious and the toiletries were lovely.
The staff were excellent and could not do enough for us- and the location perfect for us as we went to London for a show and the hotel is situated in 'Theatre land'

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ancenator
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this amazing review following your recent stay with us.

As we always do our best to exceed our guests' expectations, I am very pleased to read that everything during your stay at The Waldorf Hilton was simply perfect, our great staff, the beautiful room and the ideal location.

I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our hotel and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need.