“Superb location in London's West End near Covent Garden” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #352 of 1,086 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Superb location in London's West End near Covent Garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Superb location if you are in town for the shows. Royal Opera House is 5 minutes walk. Numerous theatres nearby. The Waldorf just about pulls off being a high end hotel. The friendly welcoming staff, the historic associations and the fabric of the building soon make you forget any suspicion that it's just an overpriced Hilton. It is expensive but just gets away with it. We had a lovely large room on the 8th floor, literally in the roof space. Normally that wouldn't be a problem in London but it was in the middle of a heat wave and the wheezing air con struggled to keep the room comfortable. Em also took in the afternoon tea experience which was quite fun.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor in high summer
1 Thank Oystermouthensis
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

Eline C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here at a day's notice, and managed to obtain a very competitive price through lastminute.com and their 'unnamed hotel' offer - tho' you can usually work out which hotel it is with a little investigation.

Good points:
- Hotel Reception and Concierge staff - very competent, friendly and efficient. However, I note that the precautionary authorisation taken from my credit card has not been reversed three days after I checked out, although, of course, the charged amount has been put through...
- Location - Very convenient for WC addresses in London, Covent Garden, Theatreland, and WC and EC business addresses.
- Good night's sleep - I had a small (but perfectly adequate) room on the seventh floor, looking North West. Very quiet room with good air conditioning (a quiet slow fan speed was exactly what was needed overnight on a very hot and humid July evening). Very comfortable bed and tea and coffee making facilities to make that all-important first cup of tea in the morning.
- Housekeeping - Very prompt service when requesting a bath-robe for the room.

Not so good points:
- Room Service - I ordered a Waldorf salad as a late supper, hoping for something fresh and crunchy. However, what turned up was very disappointing: a lifeless, flaccid, grey and soft concoction with little discernible flavour pressed into a flat circle on the plate with some consolation prize pickled walnuts as decoration. Not quite the Waldorf Astoria... This had been served some moments earlier by a waiter who had some severe personal hygiene "issues", so perhaps not the best of experiences all-in-all.
- Breakfast - On checking-in, I was offered a 'special' deal on the full breakfast (a £6 reaction, I think). This would probably have been a good deal had I had time to linger over a leisurely breakfast, but the reality in the morning was that all I wanted was a bowl of porridge, orange juice and a pot of tea, so not best value. The breakfast room was very, very hot with the usual buffet-style hot plates of seething vats of the full english breakfast experience, and this was accompanied by rather too loud piped music, which was not turned down even when requested for the second time.
- Room entertainment system - Very comprehensive TV and film offerings, but the only programme I ever really need, Radio 4, did not work, so listened on iPlayer on my mobile instead.
- Wifi - Hotels should by now all offer free wifi without exception, as a service to their guests. Wifi was too expensive by far here. The hotel does not charge for the use of its swimming pool, so why does it charge for wifi?

The good location and good night's sleep were exactly what I wanted, but a shame that the other relatively minor points (and so easy to rectify) rather let the hotel down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SometimeTraveller
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review through Tripadvisor related to your recent visit at The Waldorf Hilton London.

We greatly appreciate all comments made by our guests, whether positive or for our development as it allows for continued improvement in that which is most important to us, our guest service.

I was concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry you were disappointed.

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotel against Hilton's high service and quality standards. I would like to learn more about your stay as it will enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world’s travellers. Please contact me via email eline.christiaanse@hilton.com or by telephone +44 (0) 207 759 4255.

I look forward to hear from you in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my father and brother for a weekend visit to London.

The hotel staff were great, from the moment we arrived. the room wasn't ready until 3pm, which was a bit of a pain as most hotels usaly are ready to use at 2pm. However as the hotel is in a great location (covent garden) we popped out for a late linch and by the time we came back all our bags had been placed in the room.

For the whole of the stay the taff could not have been more helpful.

The hotel is designed to a very High standard, with good quality fittings and decoration. It almost looked newly decorated. The beds were big and they used nice linen. The hotel had good windows so the noise was minimal, and also this is an old hotel, the walls were thick so we never herd any noise from the other rooms.

we didn't have time to use the pool or Gym, but we did take a look and these looked great, so on my next stay i will try and use.

One more great thing about this hotel is the Location. We didn't need to use any public transport during our stay as the all the sights, shops, restaurants and theatre are with in 20 mins walking distance f most attractions and needs.

Super stay and will book again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank robjay78
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London as well for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We were very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments about our staff which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I hope you were able to enjoy the hotel's area whilst staying with us and we are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

If I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Concierge and Valet at the Wardolf are the type of staff that the hotel should be proud of. Really old fashioned type service that you would expect from a 5 star hotel. They made our trip extremely enjoyable with their suggestions and all round helpfulness.

1 Thank Louise N
Elisa B, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing such a great review following you recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton

I am delighted to read that our amazing concierge staff made your trip extraordinary, they are a big asset to this hotel and they will be recognized.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our hotel and please feel free to contact us directly anytime at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com

Leigh on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Staying at the Waldorf is certainly an experience to savour if you haven't stayed there before, particularly taking afternoon tea. However my wife an I have stayed at this hotel once a year for the last 7 years and now feel this hotel is falling behind the competition with many other better options available in London.

2 Thank Gary M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel following you recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton.

I understand you have been our regular guests for long time and I would like to thank you very much for your loyalty.

I regret you think that this hotel is falling behind the competition with many other hotels and I would like to discuss this matter directly with you, so please feel free to contact me directly anytime at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com

Toledo, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location. I stayed here last week for five nights using points and received a decent redemption even with the deval. Great staff

They gave me an early checkin which is always appreciated in Europe. Very disappointed in the room though and the decrease in breakfast benefits for diamonds.

The room I had couldn't have been any further away from the lifts (321) and had no view at all, I could only see the other side of other buildings. The towel warmer in the bathroom didn't work and you had a few stairs to deal with in order to get to your room or the lift.

Was also disappointed that they eliminated the full breakfast benefit in the restaurant for Hilton diamonds.

The lounge breakfast was ok and had some hot items, but would prefer the restaurant breakfast. The free spirits are nice from 6 to 8 and as long as you get there right at 6 you can find a seat but if you get there much lather than 6:30 finding a seat can be a hassle.

Location is great. If you are coming from Heathrow the Covent gardens station is on that line and a very short walk from there. Covent gardens is exit only until late this year due to lift repairs but you can get to the Holbon station pretty easy as well. Lot's of theaters nearby and plenty of places to eat and SOHO and china town is an easy walk.

I love the rainfall showers

I liked that you could connect to as many devices as you wanted with the free wifi, but didn't like using it with an IPAD. Every time I powered on my ipad or moved from my room to the lounge, I had to sign in again, not a big deal just annoying. Not sure if it is that way with Laptops but it is with tablets

One of the days I checked out the local shopping nearby and there are a lot of great stores that are a close walk. Neal's dairy yard is a great cheese shop, I'd also recommend walking to the Regent street area stores. Lillywhite has amazing deals on athletic shoes and sporting goods and Hamley's toy store is the most amazing toy store I have ever been to (even bigger than FAO).

Seeing that diamond's no longer get a full breakfast, not sure if I would return here if rates were more than the Trafalgar, but would definitely return for another points stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 21, no view and you have stairs to deal with every time and a long walk from t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Jamesteroh
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you very much for reviewing our hotel following your stay at The Waldorf Hilton.

I am delighted to read of our great staff and that you enjoyed our amazing location.

I am sorry if you had to walk a long way to reach the room and it was facing our courtyard, 321 is one of our quietest room in the hotel, however if you could contact me directly, I would update your HHonors profile accordingly to your preferences.

Referring to the breakfast and internet connection, I would like discuss the matter directly with you, therefore feel free to contact me at your best convenience at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our hotel,

Prestbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel was clean and the staff were very good. my room was very pleasant although a couple of the halogen lamps in the ceiling were out. I thought it was excellent value for money though. A good 20 minute walk from the hotel to Oxford street but the exercise probably did me good. In the heart of theater land and great if you want to catch a show. The bar was O.K but like many hotels like this lack any sort of atmosphere. I would definitely stay here again though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Stephen M
Elisa B, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton.
Your valuable feedback is extremely important to us in order to monitor and improve our service and standards at all times.

Please accept my apologies for the halogen lamps which were out in the room ceiling, I already forwarded your comment to our Engineering Department in order to rectify the issue.

At the same time I would like to thank you very much for the great comment about our staff and hotel cleanliness, I will definitely share it with all my colleagues.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel. I would like to offer my assistance when making your next reservation so that I can personally look after you whilst staying with us.