“It would seem they don't care,”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #341 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Belfast
“It would seem they don't care,”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

You should never be able to check into a five star hotel and find the remains of someone else's dinner in your mini bar, here you can.
You should never be able to check into a five star hotel and find the maids dirty cleaning cloth dumped over your tea tray, here you can.
When you bring the above points to the attention of the staff you expect there to be an apology and a fuss to fix it. Not here.
You should never have to queue in a five star hotel for twenty five minutes in the corridor outside the restaurant to get in and get a table for breakfast. Here you do.
When someone drops scrambled egg on the tiled floor at breakfast you expect the multitude of stuff to deal with it quickly an efficiently. Not here. Here they walk round it for ten minutes each telling the other about it but doing nothing.
The glass you lift at breakfast in a five star hotel should not have someone else's lipstick on it already. Here it can. When you lift a second one in this hotel it can be exactly the same as the first one. Fortunately third time lucky.
With three waiting staff on duty in the bar and seating area in a five star hotel, after fifteen minutes of trying to get some attention and service you shouldn't have to give up. Here you will.
On leaving when the receptionist asks if everything has been good and you say not great, you expect to be asked what the problems were. Not here. Not interested in anything other than which card you want to pay with.
A five star building with two star staff who lack attention to detail, and any sort of sense of being there to look after customers. They do charge five star prices though. I am a Hilton gold member who travels a lot and stays in Hiltons a lot but I have never stayed in one where customer care was as unimportant as it was here.
The positives - great location and the doormen stood out from the rest of the staff. Very helpful and informative any time I asked them for any information. Concierge staff also quite helpful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mccaves
Alison P, General Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Mccaves,

Thank you for your review. It is always a concern to read when a valued guest has a disappointing stay at The Waldorf Hilton and we would like to apologise for the shortfall in expectations.

Please be assured that your overall experience is not representative of our usual standards of service and the areas highlighted for improvement have been shared with the team and immediate steps have been taken.

If you would like to discuss these matters in further detail, please do not hesitate to forward a copy of your review to Lonwa_Guestrelations@Hilton.com and you will be responded to direct.

Kind regards,

Alison P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for my birthday at the beginning of August and had a really lovely time. It’s a beautiful property but there were a few problems with the room. That said, manager Sarah Baldwin had them all resolved in no time at all. Absolutely excellent customer service!!
Do treat yourself to a cocktail or two if you stay at the Waldorf, they are fabulous :-)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 0Callmewhatyoulike
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities. Please be rest assured that your comments about the staff have been shared with the entire team as this goes a long way in encouraging and motivating the team.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

Kind Regards,

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

The Waldorf Hilton in London is right in Covent Garden on Aldwych St. (a few doors away from the One Aldwych Hotel).

An executive room was a good value, but also had scuffs, stains, chips and a general need for refurbishment. Internet was included, as was breakfast and drinks in the executive lounge.

The best part of the hotel was access to the LA Fitness in the basement. For a commercial gym, it isn't terribly big but certainly far better than typical hotel gyms.

If you get a good deal, this hotel is worth it for a basic stay.

1 Thank TransConFlyer
Dear TransConFlyer,

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities especially in regards to our LA Fitness as well as our Executive Lounge.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Although front of house staff and reception area appear to achieve a good standard the lifts are old and slow. The corridor to our room 704 was shabby and needed attention. The room is small , standard double, and furniture is old. There was a dribble mark on the side table which was not cleaned despite reporting that, a pubic hair in the bath, a dirty sink n taps (still not clean) and an Unvacuumed carpet. Very, very disappointing. Slightly concerned now re breakfast in the morning. So far - would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2014
Alison P, General Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear BrilliantMum,

Yours sincerely,

Norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for one night, 13th august for a theatre trip and sight seeing with my daughter. We had a 'deluxe' twin and were allocated a room on the 7th floor. The room was large but very much in need of a face lift. The window had no curtain to pull over, it was either missing or had been removed, there was only a net covering the window, cue a 6am wake up due to the light. The bathroom was large but very tired and the shower poor. The beds were comfortable and overall we slept well. I just felt a bit..........cheated. There was nothing deluxe about the standard of the room. Breakfast was buffet style, at 8.30am there was no juice, no glasses, no cereal bowls. This is peak time so the staff should have been right up to speed. On the plus side the reception, concierge were really helpful, location was fab cant be faulted. The exterior of the property is stunning, its just a shame the inside doesnt live up to expectation. We paid £224.00 for one night, too much for the type of room we were allocated. Would i stay here again, not at the rate I paid for the room type. I have seen from other reviews that there is an upgrade due but it is not fair to charge people the same rate for different level of room. I do not feel I got the room I was expecting.

Room Tip: Ask if the room is refurbished, seventh floor was not
1 Thank ajwNorwich
Alison P, General Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear ajwNorwich,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton.

It’s a pleasure for me to read your amazing comment about our great staff and location, however I’m a bit sad to know you received a poor service at breakfast and you didn’t like the room you stayed in.

Please be aware that we have different room types, in a classical and modern style, and if you wish we would be delighted to show you our modern rooms in the next occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Team anytime at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon to our hotel,

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

A good offer via Last Minute, and we were booked into a Junior Suite at the Waldorf for my daughter's birthday. She'd asked if she could stay in an hotel in London, along with her best friend, instead of having a party. I let the hotel know, via the comments section on the booking form, that it was her birthday, but sadly no one had registered this, and the only person who wished her a happy birthday was the doorman, and that was because I told him! It's little things like this that remain with you after a stay - a card in the room would have been sufficient to make her feel special.

The Junior Suite was very comfortable and stylish, exactly how I would have wanted the Waldorf to look. We'd been given a Super-King sized bed, and the sofa bed (a small 4'6" double) was made up, although there were only 2 of their cosy bathrobes. I asked for another, and also another pillow, as Muggins got the sofa bed whilst the two girls lounged on the big bed! Our room was very quiet (which I had asked for on the form having read on here that some folk found their rooms noisy) and we all slept well.

The bathroom was huge, and very well fitted out. The shower made the most appalling high-pitched scream every time it was used, but once we realised that it wasn't about to explode, it was fine using it. There were enough towels for the three of us, but despite putting on the Make Up Room sign when we'd all showered in the evening, no one came, and I squeezed the towels onto the heated towel rail to dry so we could use them again the next morning.

We ordered Room Service for supper, as the girls thought it would be a big treat to eat pizza in their pyjamas whilst they watched the TV. Kids 10 and under eat free, which is an excellent deal when there is one of you and two of them! However, the Room Service order man argued with me about this for a few minutes when I placed the order, and finally gave in when I read him the footnote on the Kid's Menu page! The food was adequate, but the girl's apple juices were undrinkable! Clearly they'd been made up of typical hotel concentrate which needs diluting - but they'd barely put any water in! I called Room Service again to get them to collect all our plates (they were unable to push the trolley into the room because the sofa bed was out) and told them about the problem with the juice, but the order man argued with me again saying it was fresh juice!! Seriously...

I had to sign the Room Service bill with all the food charges on it, and the delivery man said they would be taken off. Well, they were, although since I knew how much my order was I was a bit fed-up that they'd loaded some other mystery charge on top, as well as the £5 delivery fee to bring it to your room which I'd taken into account. I couldn't face arguing about a few pounds in front of my daughter the next day, and since she was having such a lovely time I let it pass.

Breakfast the next morning was fine, plenty of choices and not terribly busy. The girls were extremely well behaved, and enjoyed being treated nicely by the staff. We had another swim afterwards - the pool was pretty empty both times we used it, despite it now being run by LA Fitness, and the gym being busy. The pool needs a bit of TLC, but it is charming in its own way.

Most of my small complaints here are just that - small. Overall we had a lovely stay, and found most of the staff to be pleasant - efficient and helpful. The girls on Reception were nice, and staff we came across seemed to be quietly busy.

I don't want to seem like a niggler, but sometimes when you stay in a good hotel it's so little that's needed to make it really great. I am lucky enough to stay in a lot of wonderful hotels, and so perhaps this sounds a little harsh, but if you don't tell the hotels where they are going wrong then they'll never get the chance to improve. I would certainly stay here again, and enjoy having the space of a Junior Suite.

Room Tip: Ask for a Quiet Room - I did and it certainly was!
1 Thank Spinnaker2
Dear Spinnaker2,

Thank you taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay at the iconic The Waldorf Hilton.

I’m very happy you and your daughter had a great time with us and fully enjoyed our spacious and comfortable King Junior Suites, along with our amazing breakfast and charming pool, to celebrate such a special occasion.

I would like to apologise however for not recognizing your daughter’s birthday in advance, unfortunately we didn’t receive any information from Lastminute.com, we would have otherwise organized something special to WOW her.
Some pictures of our decorations have been recently published online as well.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience occurred with room service staff when ordering food, I will m
ake sure not similar situations will reoccur in the future.

I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our hotel and please feel free to contact our Guest Relations Team anytime at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Although we had a nice time , we got there a little earlier than our booked time and although we were shown to our table twice , the first table had a wobbly leg , we were then left waiting for 35 minuets before anyone came to us , to bring our drinks , having been to the ritz which was a great experience , I just felt a little let down with the service

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ali19662014
Dear Ali19662014,

Thank you for sharing your valuable comment following your recent Afternoon Tea experience at our prestigious Homage Grand Salon Restaurant.

I am very sorry to learn you felt let down by the service provided as our team works very hard to always exceed our guests’ expectations.

If you would like to discuss this matter directly with us, please feel free to contact our Guest Relations Team at lonwa_guestrelations@hilton.com