“Location, service, room size, in that order.”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #329 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 August 2014

If you're looking for the perfect halfway house between the great shopping and eating in Covent Garden and the more business-oriented High Holborn, then you could do worse than this hotel. The service in the lobby was very good, my bags were well looked after as I arrived early and deposited in my room long before I arrived back in the evening. My office is in High Holborn which was perfect walking distance, and you are extremely spoiled by the array of restaurants and bars on your doorstep just footsteps form the main entrance of the hotel. The hotels bar and restarant may suffer in this regard, as they are surrounded by the likes of the Delaunay (amazing breakfasts), Opera Tavern (some of the best tapas in London with a great wine list), and the Radio Rooftop directly opposite in the ME Hotel (extortionate drinks, exceptional views). With these on offer, there isn't much need to set foot in the rather antiquated cocktail bar (although they do make a very good Old Fashioned).

The rooms themselves are comfortable, but a little on the small side. This posed no issue in terms of sleeping as the bedroom was adequate. The bathroom on the other hand was so narrow that it took acrobatic contortions to get into the shower without either banging yourself on the door, or covering the floor in water from the shower head. It certainly helped to wake me up in the morning though, so there is that.

Little touches like complimentary water were nice, although I was astounded that in 2014 a hotel chain of Hiltons size and stature can still charge for Wi-Fi in the rooms. 59.99 for 4 nights is extortionate and unreasonable, especially when compared to the rack rates for the rooms.

That grumble aside, this s a great hotel, in an even greater location. One hopes they can sort the Wi-Fi thing out sooner rather than later, and maybe enliven the old-school bar, s they now face stiff competition from the seemingly sleeker and more sophisticated ME Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Alison P, General Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear B3nnyDubai,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London as well for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were pleased with our overall services however, I'm sorry to learn of your disappointment with regards to not having a free Wireless connectivity in our rooms to all our guest, due to our HHonors Loyalty Hiltonworldwide program benefits. That aside, I'm happy to say that we do offer free WIFI in our public and lobby areas of our Hotel.

If I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Very nice food and plenty of it, the waitress even offered to bring more food. The tea was lovely, as was the champagne. My only gripe was that the champagne glasses weren't evenly filled, in fact one was short by about £3 worth and we had to ask for it to be filled. All in all not the best afternoon tea we've had in London but not unpleasant.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Alison P, General Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review related to your recent visit at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to hear from your feedback that you were pleased with our services and facilities and your comments goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team and rest assured your comments will be shared with our food & beverage team and our Executive Chef Mr. Robert Prendergast.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit to our Hotel.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My partner arranged a coach trip which included afternoon tea at the Waldorf. We were booked in for tea at 3 pm on Sunday 24th August. We arrived at 2:45 and went to our rooms to deposit luggage and then immediately went back down to the foyer, to await our courier who was going to take us to the Homage Grand Salon, It was obvious that there was a problem with the booking. Some of our party were ushered into the Homage private lounge - now this sounds quite posh and almost like we were being given an upgraded experience - wrong! It was a characterless room which was set up to seat about 20 people - and we were a party of 40 or more. So some of our party ended up in the bar area. Our courier attempted to resolve the problems and the meeter and greeter chose to walk away from her. The service in the private lounge was extremely poor. One waiter was charged with looking after us - he brought in 4 pots of tea and placed them on 4 tables. Then he wandered in after a few minutes with a couple of trays of cakes. The first table had finished their sandwiches, etc., before we had even got ours. In addition, tea was served in plain cups, not the gold trimmed ones which we had expected.
This whole experience fell short of our expectations. Fortunately through the persistence of our driver the Hotel agreed to give us a complimentary tea on Monday at 1p.m. which was Ok, except that in keeping with several other members of our group we had already made plans for that day. However, because of the poor weather we decided to accept the tea. Now this was a better experience - we were seated in the lounge, we had the bone china cups and the whole experience that we should have had on the Sunday - including the harpist playing.
From reading other reviews, it seems that our experience wasn't too unusual. It also seems that the response from management has little or no effect on the poor level of service.
It is such a shame that this soured our experience, as the room was spotlessly clean and comfortable and plenty large enough with a lovely bathroom, built in wardrobes, etc. There was a desk which had multiple power outlets on the wall at the back of it. these allowed European, British or American plugs to be used - however there was one of each type of plug, a little inconvenient if one wished to plug in a laptop and a phone charger at the same time! Also - free wi-fi was available in the reception area, to use it in the room would cost £14.99 a day!!
As expected, the room overlooked the yard at the rear of the hotel and was close to the large extractor unit, which was working 24 hours a day. With the secondary double glazing closed the noise from the extractor wasn't too intrusive, but I was aware of it throughout the night.
This was a slight slight negative, but the positives of the room outweighed that negative. A comfortable bed, large room, excellent large screen TV, a well appointed bathroom with complimentary dressing gowns and an efficient air con system made for a comfortable stay.
Had the tea on the Sunday gone according to plan, this review would have warranted 4 or even 5 stars. I really hope that the management actually take on board the comments made in this review and actually act on them, not just make empty commitments.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ovelooking the rear yard and the extractor unit - we had room 204.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gizmo2brian

Dear Gizmo2brian,

Thank you for your review. It is always a concern to read when a valued guest has a disappointing stay at The Waldorf Hilton and we would like to apologise for the shortfall in expectations.

I was sorry to learn of the dissapointment in regards to the afternoon tea in our Homage restaurant as this is certainly not representative of our usual standards of service. Please note that your comments have been discussed during our daily morning meetings and that immediate steps have been taken to prevent this from happening again.

If you would like to discuss these matters in further detail, please do not hesitate to forward a copy of your review to Lonwa_Guestrelations@Hilton.com and you will be responded to direct.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at this property as part of our honeymoon trip. Upon check in, my Hilton gold status was recognized and we were quickly assigned a king room which was very large compared to typical European hotel rooms. The room was clean, well designed and very comfortable. We were provided access to the club lounge which provided breakfast and snacks throughout the day along with cocktails the evening. The food spread was significantly better then ones in the U.S. although the club was crowded at times.

The location of this hotel was the main selling point for me. My wife and I were able to walk to many sites (Trafalgar square, parliament and Buckingham palace to name a few) with relative ease, but for those that would rather ride, the hop-on-hop-off bus had a stop a few doors down from the hotel entrance. Additionally, this hotel is located in the theater district with many shows and restaurants within a block of the hotel.

Overall this hotel was great place to call home while in London and we would not hesitate to return should we be in London again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phil R

Dear Phil R,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities. I am glad to learn that the Front Desk acknowledged your Gold status and were able to accomodate you in one of our lovely large King bedded rooms whilst staying with us and I am also glad to read that you took great advantage of the hotels location.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Our room was large and comfy with a dressing room and bathroom. Now I did feel like the floor of the tub/shower was a bit slippery, and since I broke my foot last year, I had to be extra cautious when using the facilities, but I managed without injury. The bed was quite comfortable, and I got in some good sleeping hours each night. The location of the hotel was near a few of the museums and the theatre district, which was great.

But in my opinion, the biggest plus was the concierge staff. Those gentlemen at the desk were wonderful. Over our 3-night stay, they helped with booking restaurant reservations, gaining tickets to Buckingham Palace, giving multiple directions to various events and attractions, and hailing taxi cabs for us. They were always kind and polite even during the busiest times. Kudos to them.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank melbeesue

Dear Melbeesue,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor, your feedback is invaluable.

We were delighted to read your review and your comments about the staff goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. Please be rest assured that your comments have been shared with the relevant team members involved.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit to London.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed at the Waldorf for one night last week and this is a real quality Hotel. Arrived with a double booked but my Daughter wanted to stay with us after a London Theatre night rather than go back to a flat, they quickly put a fold up bed into our room for us. Many Thanks for this, its a small thing but one that when its done promptly and withou fuss it makes a difference.
We wanted afternoon Tea but it finishes at 4pm however the waiter went into the kitchen and sorted one out for us, again Thanks very much to The Waldorf, very good.
I stay in a lot of Hotels and these littl extra efforts define a Top Hotel.
We used the Hotel to go see 'Dare' at the Phoenix, which was an excellent Show , well done to the Female Lead Jill Winternitz, what a Star :)
Well Done Waldorf.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tyreman01,

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities. I would also like to thank you for your comments about the hotel staff as this goes a long way in encouraging and motivating the team.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Eline C.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked this as part of a weekend birthday surprise for my partner.

We arrived at the hotel a few hours early and decided to try and check in. A delightful man took our bags at the door and showed us through to reception.

The lobby of the hotel was quite luxurious and I thought I had made a pretty good choice as I chose this hotel over a number of similarly priced alternatives.

Our room was not ready but I was told they had put a rush on it and I would be sent a text imminently.

A few hours later the text never came and we returned. Our room was ready.

We ascended the lift to the 4th Floor, I think it was room 407. I can't recall but i was very disappointed at what I saw. It was as if someone had taken a room from the local travel lodge and placed it within this beautiful hotel. The room was small grey and lifeless. I had previously left a note while booking to mention it was a special occasion yet it obviously went unnoticed.

Wi-Fi was also an extra charge which I refuse to pay on a point of principal in this day and age when the local coffee shop can provide it freely.

On the second night there was a wedding, it felt like the walls were made of paper as at 4am I heard a number of guests carrying an unconscious friend through the halls á la weekend at Bernies! This was followed by a young chap telling his partner to "Strip Off, get into bed and i'll be up in a minute". Not what I expected from a 5 star hotel. funny looking back on it I suppose.

It wasn't all bad though, the location was second to none and all the great attractions of London are within walking distance. Right beside Covent Garden and a number of theaters.

We tried the pool, it seemed to be getting a bit of work done but all in all it was a bit dank.

Anyway, to sum up beautiful hotel, great location but the actual room left a lot to be desired!

Would go back for location alone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Shane H,

Please be assured that your overall experience is not representative of our usual standards of service and the areas highlighted for improvement have been shared with the team and immediate steps have been taken. I was also sorry to learn that you did not receive any amenities in regards to your special ocassion as this is something we normally always do.

Yours sincerely,