“mostly positive”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #516 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We recently spent 5 nights at the Meridien in Piccadilly and overall would say that our stay was enjoyable. We used Starwood points for a junior suite and paid extra for use of the club lounge. On the positive side, we found all the staff we dealt with were professional and helpful, the lounge staff were particularly a pleasure to deal with. The Club Lounge had an excellent array of beverages and food available throughout the day in additional to the Happy Hour in the evening. As the location is so central it was a perfect place for a quick pick-me-up in between shopping expeditions or sightseeing. The pool was large and deep enough to swim in as well as being mostly empty. I didn't use the exercise room but it also looked well-equipped and the staff in the pool/gym area again were also very nice to deal with. Our suite was equipped with tea and coffee making equipment which was most appreciated and, even better, had some shortbread snacks which were restocked daily. On the down-side the first impression of our room was of a very tired looking couch and chair which looked like they should have been replaced years ago. It's too bad because they gave the suite a very drab appearance and yet the bedroom was quite well-appointed and bed very comfortable. The bathroom was another negative. I'm guessing we were in an unrenovated room because the plumbing was definitely from another era. The shower was really touchy on temperature and went from scalding hot to very cold and unfortunately because it was situated in a very high tub not easy to escape from when the temperature went renegade. The toilet sometimes flushed and occasionally didn't which made life very exciting and the heated towel rack never did heat up despite the little tag that warned about its heat. I think I would still return to this hotel though, I would just make sure to request a renovated room. Just one more thing, I know this is a matter of taste, but I found the 24 hour soundscape in the elevator very annoying and discordant.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s facilities and especially the Club Lounge and Heath Club. It is hugely encouraging that you appreciated the high level of service provided by our associates as they are a great asset to the Hotel and I have shared you comments with them.

It was good to learn that you appreciated the ideal location of the hotel for London’s shops and sightseeing.

Please accept my apologies if some of the furniture in the room and the bathroom did not meet your expectations. However, I am pleased to be able to inform you that we have just completed the soft renovation of all our rooms in the hotel as well as adding a number of brand new rooms to our inventory.

Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Piccadilly

Reviewed 25 May 2011

Location location location!... Situated at the centre of London, next to the Piccadilly station, the hotel has a very efficient staff. They try to make you feel at home and comfortable. We had a smooth check in and a warm welcome by European standards. The rooms are wonderful though they did not have any view. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for recommending Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay.

We were elated to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. It was marvellous to learn that we made you feel at home during your stay and I have shared your kind comments with all the associates as everyone works very hard to deliver Le Méridien Brand standard of service.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again at Le Méridien Piccadilly soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

As part of a weekend trip we stayed atthis hotel. An early check in was no problem, and we were profesional welcomed and checked in. We were told that we got an room upgrate which surprised us because we weren´t memebers of the loyalti programm.
The room turned out to be on the second floor with a window to the Restaurant. It seemed that the window was not really surposed to be there, because i was behind a wall, anyhow the last 40 cm on the top where open so that a little bit day light had the chance to lighten up the otherwise dark room. I´ve never stayed in a room like that before, and surely not in this price range. Two steps up above room levl was the The Barthroom,which was quiet old but otherwise was everthing in place where it should be. I did not care much about a "walk in wardrobe, but other surely do.
With every step th ancient floorboards gave a noise, so that you couldn´t sneak to the barthroom, or the minibar.
After all the room seemed to be one of those which you just sell at for the guests you hoped that they wouldn´t show up, or for the one you don´t care for.
The gym and spa area was very good, nice and clean, brand new.
The breakfast buffet was o.k. a good variaty of cerealls ald sliced fruit. A cooking station could have been nice so, that would have made the buffet a 5 star buffet.
The rest of the Hotel did its job o.k. and the most important was the bed and this was good.
I would not choose this Hotel again and rather choose a newer 4 star one, where the rooms are well fit and where you kind fidn the way around.
Every Hotel chaine gets one shoot at, Le Meridian missed that one, and won´t get an other one. But i think that the weekend tourist like us, are for then just to fill up the room during the weekend. Who cares about them anyway.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your TripAdivsor review following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was pleased to learn that on the whole you enjoyed your visit to London. Rooms in the Hotel may vary in size and shape as they do in most historic landmark hotels in Central London. However, on this occasion I am very sorry that we failed to allocate a room to your liking.

Rest assured that weekend tourists are extremely important to any hotel in Central London and most certainly to us. The variety of different room types makes our hotel, which opened its doors in 1908, so fascinating – I therefore was very sorry to read of your disappointment.

Once again please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay. I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London. Please feel free to make your reservation directly through my office so we may assist you with the room allocation.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

As a treat for after the marathon, my friend & I decided to treat ourselves to a spa day. We were really disappointed as the massage was supposed to be 55 mins & I only had 45 mins. Had a word with the staff & they said they'd have a word with the manager( no one dealt with it) The jacuzzi was out of action...... The was pool cold & the relaxation room very impersonal. It was a shame that this was the case.
The lady staff member in the coocktail bar was very attentive & saved the day. I emailed the hotel to let them know our disappointment, but no response. Probably a large central London hotel doesn't feel the need to worry about this.....

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SMJLondon

Dear Customer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the Health Club.

My sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit. Our customers are our utmost priority and we strive to ensure that every customer has very enjoyable time at the Hotel.

I have shared your comments with the Health Club Manager to ensure that our service is delivered in a professional manner.

I do hope that this experience will not deter your from choosing to use Le Méridien Piccadilly Health Club again. Please feel free to make your SPA appointment directly through my office so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for one night on Sat 14th May 2011.

We had booked through last minute as a secret hotel and I think we got an amazing deal.

We arrived at approximately 11.30am so we were not expecting our rooms to be ready so we were pleasantly suprised to be told that they were.

After a smooth check in with the lovely Joanna we headed up stairs to freshen up and leave our bags, only to find our room was definitely not ready! That wasn't really a problem as we were early, so we popped back down to let them know and we were swiftly upgraded and given a complimentary bottle of wine for the inconvenience! First class customer service.

The bar area was lovely and the complimentary snacks were delicious too.

We didn't have breakfast included with our booking and at a price of £22.50 each we decided to grab breakfast out, which was a shame.

Every member of staff we spoke to was friendly, polite and very helpful. There always seemed to be lots of porters about who looked busy, not just standing around and the concierge was very helpful.

Our upgraded room was fantastic, massive bed, very comfy and a large bathroom too. Our friends who hadn't been upgraded were more than happy with their standard room aswell.

I am not a seasoned hotel visitor and certainly not to 5* hotels, unfortunately(!) so maybe my expectations are not as high as some but I honestly couldn't fault this hotel. Perfect location, brilliant staff, spotless ..... I could go on and on but I'll end by saying that the hotel made my birthday trip to London a very special experience. I hope one day we can return.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsBofBournemouth

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed the Hotel’s facilities, in particular the snacks served in the Longitude 0°8' Bar, as well as your room upgrade, indeed most of our rooms are very spacious with a king bed.

It was marvellous to learn that you appreciated the level of service provided by our associates as they are an excellent asset to the Hotel. I have shared your kind words with all associates and especially with Joanna.

Thank you again for your favourable feedback and we very much look forward to seeing you again at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

We wanted our honeymoon to be special so we decided to stay at Le Meridien. My husband even used up his Starpoints to get free nights.

The location was great and it was convenient to catch a bus, walk to/from a metro station or just walk along the streets (Regent Street just behind the hotel).

We got a bit of special treatment too - a room upgrade and champagne from management. We were also able to use the pool and hot tub which were nice.

However the staff for some reason were quite unfriendly (except the bellboy whom we generously tipped). The biggest letdown was the concierge (seemed to be always away from his desk and when he was there, he wasn't particularly helpful - from directions to West End tickets - he didn't seem knowledgeable at all). I feel that it was more of a business hotel. Although I can't be too sure, I also feel that we could have felt more at home and maybe even received a just-as-if-not-more-special treatment in a hotel that's not part of a large chain like Starwood Hotels if we were to pay the same amount.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank daphiness
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your review on the TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and appreciated the upgrade as well as the champagne amenities you received on this special occasion. It was great to read that you did have an opportunity to take advantage of our well appointed Health Club facilities. However, I am truly sorry that we failed to make you feel more at home and I can assure you that I will follow up on your comments with our Head Concierge.

Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us on such a special occasion. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Following a rather critical review last January, hotel management contacted me to suggest I stay at the hotel again. We all make mistakes so I thought I’d give it another try during a swing through London April 5-7, 2011, and I was very satisfied with the results. While my stay wasn’t perfect, it was certainly much better than my laughably bad experience a few months ago. Starting with the positives, the Meridien has an unbeatable location just a half block from bustling Piccadilly Square. It’s a bit like staying near Times Square in NYC. The hotel has one of the better gyms in London and a fantastic swimming pool, sauna, and jacuzzi. Check in was efficient, my room was clean and tidy, and the upgrade to a suite was much appreciated. I particularly liked the breakfast room – bright, good service, and an excellent selection. The bar staff were also friendly, efficient, and mixed very good drinks. What follows are some suggested improvements as I know the hotel routinely reads these reviews. First, while there was never any shortage of porters (up to 3 at a time by my count) yet again no one offered to help me with my bags. In fact I walked by a porter to check in, he glanced my way, and went back to chatting with a colleague. As a 5-star hotel, this has to change. The hotel should have automatic sliding doors at the entrance. Not only would this brighten a beautiful lobby, porters could see approaching guests, and it would alleviate the headache of waiting for a porter to open a heavy side door or push the too-narrow revolving doors. Second, I’d suggest having a full-time porter on station outside the hotel and encourage them to focus on guests rather than talk to each other as I saw almost every time I walked through the lobby. And finally, my room was beautiful but required at least 3 visits and 2 telephone calls to the in-house engineer to sort out the heating/AC system. This is a Victorian-era hotel with rather creaky heating/plumbing systems in need of an overhaul. Would I stay at Le Meridien again? Yes. The hotel needs to focus on bringing its front-line porterage staff and infrastructure up to the same high standards of its reception and restaurant staff but that didn’t take away from a very positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor following your second visit to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service provided was to your satisfaction. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings of our porters, rest assured that our Head Concierge will follow up on your comments.

The Le Meridien Piccadilly is a true landmark in Central London, it opened its doors in 1908. We have taken your comments very seriously and will continue to work on improving our services. Our A/C is being upgraded step by step, new chillers have been installed and should ensure a hassle free operation in future. With regards to the front entrance, although I agree with your observation regarding a sliding door, this might prove difficult as the hotel is a grade II listed building and the revolving door is an integral part of the exterior. We nevertheless will review our procedures with regards to our doorman, who should have been present at the front of the hotel – please accept my apologies if this was not the case on this occasion.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give feedback directly to my P.A. on your departure and of course for giving us a second chance. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.