“Good hotel in a great location”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #526 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Le Meridien Piccadilly is in the perfect location for sightseeing round London. It is easy to walk to most of the sites and shopping areas from here and is very close to the tube station.

The room we stayed in was quite small compared to other 5* hotels we have stayed in but the location made up for this. The bed was very comfortable and we didn't experience any room noise. Breakfast was included in our rate and was very good. The pool was excellent.

We found the staff on the front desk very welcoming, friendly and approachable.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Meridien.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear AnneQ132,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

It is always a pleasure to read a favourable review, and especially to see that our staff was welcoming and friendly - thank you for those motivating words.

To be able to take a relaxing dip in one of London's largest hotel swimming pools after a day of shopping and sightseeing is indeed a very special treat, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Health Club facilities.

I hope you will make many more visitis to London and to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the future.

Oscar del Campo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel and we were totally impressed. The front desk staff was excellent and the manager rushed to check us in after noticing we had waited about 1 minute. Although we are platinum the property was full so we were unable to be upgraded from the junior suite we had booked. No problem - the suite was huge, very quiet and easily accommodated our family of four. We loved the great (complimentary) breakfast in the dining room on the 2d floor and the club lounge where we had terrific snacks. Great concierge desk, great location - walked everywhere. On our last night we walked to the show Singing in the Rain (fabulous) and then to dinner in Soho at Yauatcha (excellent dim sum and upscale chinese) - and then back to hotel. All within about 6 minutes. Excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy9342
Dear Wendy9342,

thank you for taking the time to post your favourable feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was delighted to see that you and your family had a great time with us and particularly pleased to hear that our team looked after you.

Our hotel is indeed ideal for visits to Theatreland, and the distances are so short that even if you had to "sing in the rain" yourselves to get back from the show you would not get all too wet.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you and your family back again here at Le Méridien Piccadilly in the not too distant future.

Best regards from London,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Great Location, rooms are not too small like at a lot of London hotels.

Staff can be quite pretentious. On check-in we were made to feel inferior because we had got a favourable rate on booking.com. For this reason we decided not to spend a penny in the hotel, and instead ate out for breakfast and dinner.

Room not up to 5 star standard. Mirror damaged. Smell of sewage every morning in the room, I think it came from the drains in the bathroom. This is not 5 star luxury, it's perhaps basic 5 star.

Generally poor value for money, it just doesn't feel like what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

If you want a luxury hotel, go elsewhere!

3 Thank jetstreamaviator
, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Jetstreamaviator,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt badly treated on check in - I can assure you that this is certainly not the standard of service our guests have come to expect. How your booking was made makes no difference to us, we are always grateful that guests choose to stay with us regardless of which booking channel they use. Please accept my apologies for any shortfall in service you experienced on this occasion.

Unfortunately I could not find any record of you having mentioned the issues you appear to have experienced in the room at any time during your stay. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly in order to receive more details so that we can investigate the matter further.

In the meantime I hope that you will consider giving us a second chance on your next trip to London, I would be more than happy to assist you with your reservation.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We decided on Le Meridien as the location was where we wanted to be for our short 4 day stay in London even though we had read some of the other Trip Advisor reviews that were not that great.

Our stay here was a good one for the most part, but there were some down sides to the hotel that should be thought of. The location of the hotel was perfect for shopping in the Regent Street area, going to the theatre (as the Theatre District is a short walk from the hotel) shopping at Fortnum & Mason (or have afternoon tea there in their newly remodled Tea Room). The area the hotel is in is a busy one but when you get inside the lobby of the hotel, you don't notice that very much. We booked a room with 2 queen beds which was really a good size room for London Standards. It was on the 2nd floor (1 up from the lobby) and the room had high ceilings and windows that opened onto Regent St. Problem was we couldn't open the windows as it was such as busy street right below that there was just too much noise. Even with the windows closed, you could hear much of the noise outside.

As we went to our room, we felt the 2nd floor hallways were a bit musty and in need of a little TLC. While the lobby downstairs looked really nice, the 2nd floor hallways as well as our room just looked dingy and much in need of paint repair and a carpet change. I was even afraid to walk on the carpet in our room in my barefeet! Does not seem right for such an expensive 4+ star hotel. We didn't check any of the other floors/rooms out, so don't know if they were the same. It really disappointed us that it was that dingy and not what we expected from a Le Meridien hotel.

The beds however were very comfortable and invited us to sleep, but for 2 of the nights we were there, they were doing nighttime road repair on Regent Street, which our windows looked out to. The roadwork consisted of jack-hammering until the wee hours of the morning. We had our windows closed, but we could still hear the jack-hammering as if the windows were wide open. While the hotel has no control over what happens on the street, I would think the windows, which were doubled, can be a bit more insulated to prevent the problem from even the general road noise.

Another thing that this hotel didn't offer that is normal when you travel through Europe is that most hotels have a continental breakfast included within your room rate. This is not the case at Le Meredian. But as you walk out the front door of the hotel, you can find at least 4 coffee houses and small cafes within 100 yards or so, you just have to pay for it.

They do offer tea/coffee in your room which you can make with the little plug in kettle and at least 2 packs of Walkers Shortbread cookies (yummy) which are replenished every day.

We might try the hotel again on our next London visit, if we needed to stay in this location, but would want to be sure we had a room on one of the upper floors (to try and combat some of the street noise) and will want to know that they have redone some of their hallways and maybe changed the carpets in both the hallways and rooms to get rid of that musty/moldy smell that is quite noticible. However we have stayed at other nicer hotels in London that we would probably go back to if we don't need to be in this location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DNAZ_SF
, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear DNAZ_SF,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and that our wonderful Le Méridien signature beds provided you with the comfort needed for a good night's sleep.

All our rooms and corridors were refurbished during 2010 / 2011 and that included brand new carpets. I was therefore a little at a loss to read that you found a musty smell in the corridor - we have so far not had any feedback of that nature, and having walked the floor extensively to try and figure out what you were referring to we were unable to trace anything wrong. It is possible, being a hotel located at the very heart of the city surrounded by an area with many restaurants, that some odour might occasionally enter the hotel either via the ventilation or via a window - I am very sorry if that is what occurred during your stay and that you felt disturbed.

Our windows do have double glazing but it is of course sometimes possible for some street noise to filter through even the most insulated windows, being located right in the centre of London on Piccadilly and Regent Street. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation so that I may assist you with your choice of room.

Most city hotels in Europe predominantly offer rates excluding breakfast to allow flexibility, we do however also offer a package including breakfast which you can book via our website.

I hope that you will choose Le Méridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London and I would be delighted to assist you with your booking in order to ensure that we meet all your expectations during your next stay with us.

Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Our favorite place to stay in the Theatre District! (Matilda was fabulous!)

Great reception and assistance from doormen, desk allowed early check-in and upgraded us to a very generous "family" room with two king beds. Very comfortable and clean. We took advantage of the Terrace Restaurant on site and found the tomato bisque and sole to be surprisingly great for hotel cuisine.

We walked everywhere -- Ice House, Royal Museum, Trafalgar, Leicester and to the theatre. The only difficulty experienced during the stay was with the nuisance of the electronic key card which needed to be replaced the second day. Keep them away from your cell phones and all should be fine!

Room Tip: Avoid early check-in, request what you would like and be patient. If they can accommodate, they wil...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Libbewdc,

thank you for sharing your favourable feedback here on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Our hotel is indeed ideally located right in the hustle and bustle of this great city, with most attractions within easy reach - whilst at the same time providing an oasis of calm and tranquility to allow our guests to wind down after a busy day of sightseeing. Our Terrace Grill & Bar is just the right spot for a relaxed lunch, tea time or dinner in a beautiful setting overlooking Piccadilly. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the food on offer.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced some inconvenience with the key system for the elevators. I can assure you though that this is an exception rather than the rule and we believe it is a small price to pay for the added security it provides for our guests and staff alike.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, I very much hope that you will choose Le Méridien Piccadilly again on your next visit to London.

Hull, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Location: Perfect for the tube, taxi, and buses. Walking distance to a lot of places we wanted to see.

Rooms: We had 2 adjoining rooms on one of the top floors. It was like looking out over the rooftops of London. The beds were so comfortable, the bathrooms were very large and had great water pressure. The Rooms were large and had a cozy feel.

The Pool: Probably one of the best pools I have ever been to. It was like something out of a movie. We were traveling kids and when we do we always like to make sure there is a pool so we can burn off energy if we have been in museums all day. I find a pool also helps with jet lag. The location was so great we would go get coffee in the morning. Spend most of the day enjoying London, then back to the pool for a swim and then out to dinner. By the end of the day everyone was wiped out.

The restaurant in the hotel also was able to serve our large groups we had over for dinner,

Room Tip: Ask if you can see the room first. They were very helpful and allowed us to look at the rooms we w...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear AngusJames,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly last November.

I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here with us and appreciated the generous rooms and particularly the comfortable beds - by the sound of it those beds were certainly needed after a day packed with activities and rounded off with a swim in what is indeed one of the largest hotel swimming pools in London.

I very much hope that you will make many more visits to London and to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the future and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back with us.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

First let me say the location of this hotel is beyond perfect. It is less than a half of a block from the tube station, within walking distance of the British Museum, Trafalgar Square, and Leicester Square. I would have to say that the location outweighs any negative thing I am about to say which is why we stayed.

The moment we got the we stood in line with one person in front of us while another half dozen front desk employees just stared at us. Finally after about 5 minutes of standing there and feeling like I missed an important piece of information someone finally offer to help us. We had added another night to our stay through the travel agency, but they had booked it under an entirely new reservation. When I explained that, the man told us it was fine and that the morning of the start of the new reservation, we would just have to come down and reactivate our room access cards. When the day came for us to reactiviate them, we were told we needed some sort of proof of identification, since we weren't told that before, I had left my passport in the room safe which was locked and the access card didn't work. When I explained that to the woman, she just looked at me like it wasn't her job to problem solve the issue. So I was digging through my pack looking for anything with my name on it, and I think I finally came up with my Tower of London reservation or something, but again, the front desk staff made me feel like a complete idiot.

The hotel is old, so the floors creaked A LOT! Our floor, the room next to us's floor, the room above us's floor. Also the wall are pretty thin so we heard all the conversations of the guests next to us. I think I could have ignored most of this stuff if it wasn't for the complete lack of water pressure in our room. We were on the 5th floor, and I know other reviewers mentioned this too on the higher floors. I think an outhouse would have been a better situation than using a toliet that has no water pressure. Let say, my husband and I got to have the first of many akward conversations on our honeymoon.

The breakfast was good, I wish there had been more protein options without having to order the full English breakfast. On the weekends there is a lot of people on the streets and you can hear them, but it is Picadilly so it was expected.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Jessica K,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly in December of last year.

I was of course very concerned to read of your experience with our Front Desk at check in and subsequently when asking for a new key. We generally get very positive comments about our associates as you can also see from other reviews posted here on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for any shortcoming in service you experienced.

Six months have passed since your visit - I very much hope that you might give us another opportunity on your next visit to London to show you that we can do better. Feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may assist you with finding a suitable room that meets your expectations.

Thank you again for your honest feedback.