“Good location”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #516 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We got off to a bad start as there was no room available in "our class" until 4:00 pm.
Apparently we were starwood not so preferred guests as we did not have gold or preferred status.
They didn't suggest a place to wait. The first hotel lounge that we attempted to enter turned us away. Again above our class.
The room was reminiscent of a Manhatten hotel room, cramped with no dresser or adequate closet space, but overall acceptable for an old building.
The fitness center was first rate and we were not charged extra for it.
The included buffet breakfast was good, but the service spotty.
The internet was not free, again because even though I'm a starwood preferred guest, I don't have sufficient preferred status.
The location was very good. It was close to the tube and within walking distance of many attractions, restaurants, and pubs.
When asked, the staff was very helpful.
Bottom line, I think I'll try something outside of the SPG program next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Le Meridien is part ofthe Starwood Group - so it is a professionally run hotel, with good staff, good rooms and good facilities.

THis hotel has a couple of features that for me make it a real find. THe Location. 50 feet form Piccadilly circus, walking distance of Trafalgar square, bucking palace, Fortnum & Mason, Bond Street, Hyde Park, West End theatres , Leicester Square, COvent garden....

Secondly it has a great gym, spa and swimming pool - which given its location is a real treat

Thirdly it has one of th ebest brekast buffets in London - it s a well kept secret.

The rooms are nothing special - typical business/starwood hotel rooms. Luxurious enough, comfortable enough with good enough facilities. most dont have a view but this hotel really scores on the location, and the service.

Room Tip: Ask for one away for the lifts or service doors
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2012

i stayed here during the Olympic Games a number of times through my company. Although some of the staff are polite, overall the service was appalling, especially from the more senior manager. When I checked in I was asked for photo ID (I've never been asked for that before at any other hotel) and when queried, we were told 'it's the norm, I can't give you a room without checking you are who you say you are'. Then I was asked to give a credit card (usual practice) but someone in my group only had a debit card. When he was told he couldn't check in, we asked for a senior manager who came along and rudely told my colleague if he didn't have a credit card, he had to go down the road to a cashpoint and take out £100 to give the hotel in case of 'incidentals'. I've never stayed anywhere that didn't accept a debit card, especially as it is considered more reliable form of payment than credit. I had £50 'reserved' off my card whereas others had £100, with no explanation as to why it differed. Rather than explaining the policy or apologising for the inconvenience and trying to find a solution, the manager was rude and abrupt.

On one occasion when I checked in and went up to my room, when I came back after going down to reception to query something, the door was ajar when I came back as the door didn't seem to shut properly. I mentioned this to reception as I had valuables including a laptop in there but they didn't apologise and asked me if I was sure.

The rooms themselves are clean and have usual amenities but the decor, despite what the website says, is dated from the 90s. The bathrooms, however, are more like 1970s. They need a serious rehaul.

Breakfast is also very disappointing given the level of hotel. A few yoghurts and cheeses/meats but you can't order a poached egg or something off menu without it costing you £15 plus.

Basically you pay here for the location, not the hotel itself and certainly not for the service. I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Greekjoy
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Dear Greekjoy

Thank you for your taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I am sorry for any shortcomings you may have experienced at check in and if the Duty Manager failed to explain in a sympathetic manner the Hotel’s policy. However, I was somehow surprised with the incident of the card as we do accept debit cards as well as cash. I would, however, appreciate it if you would contact me directly at the Hotel to discuss your review so that I may address your comments in more details.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused. I hope that your experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or Starwood Hotels for your next visit to London.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

You simply cannot get a better location in London. The Piccadilly Tube is on the corner and virtually every major bus route is only steps away. It is an easy 45 minute Tube ride from Heathrow right to your hotel. Leicester Square is a five minute walk and most West End theaters are an easy walk. Regent Street shopping is literally right there. I've stayed in London many times and no location has been better than this.

This is an historic old hotel. Rooms can be small and sometimes things might not work as well as in a modern hotel - who cares! It is all about getting the most out of your visit to London.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. Our room was clean and quiet. Key cards are required for the elevators which adds an extra layer of feeling comfortably safe.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NJTravelBoy

Dear NJTravelBoy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay.

We were delighted to read that you had an pleasurable stay with us, that you found the Hotel’s facilities comfortable as well as appreciating the good and helpful service deliveried by the associates.

The Hotel does indeed have an amazing location in the heart of this wonderful city of London, close to all of its major attractions and with very easy reach of public transport to London’s Airports.

Thank you again for your favourable review and we do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed at Le Meridien Piccadilly for 4 days and had a wonderful time. We took a redeye flight from New York that arrived at 7:30am and when we arrived at the hotel we had a room available at 9am to store our luggage, which was much appreciated since check-in is usually at 3pm. We got our second room about an hour or so later and were very happy that they were able to accommodate us early.

We took the Tube from Heathrow and the Piccadilly Circus station was only a few footsteps from the hotel, which was great. We loved the centralized location of the hotel and while the hotel is so close to Piccadilly Circus we never had a problem with noise. I'm a fan of big cities and people-watching and it was great being so close to both Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square without feeling overwhelmed by any of the crowds.

Our two rooms were on the 6th floor, with one overlooking Regent Street and the other looking into a quiet courtyard. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom and the amenities were also very nice. We have stayed at a few historic hotels in Europe and my wife was nervous that the hotel would feel old but it wasn't the case at all - she was very happy with the classic architecture and design and how they meshed very well with the modernizations and renovations over time.

We had a delicious breakfast at The Terrace restaurant on the 2nd floor and we loved the glass ceiling and the atmosphere in the room. The service was impeccable as I wish I could remember our waiter's name as he did a fine job. The food was as good as the service as well.

We really enjoyed coming back to our hotel rooms every night with turn down service and chocolates waiting for us on our pillows. I had sent an email to Le Meridien about how my wife and I were taking her parents to London and the hotel made it incredibly special for them as they brought champagne and berries to their room on our first night there. How very thoughtful!

We did a lot of sightseeing on this trip and found the location of the hotel to be very centralized. We could walk so many places - Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben, the London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, and of course Piccadilly Circus. We took a hop-on hop-off bus through the Original Tour to see the sights a bit further away (Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, Tate Modern Museum, etc.) and it was easily accessible from our location at Piccadilly.

I cannot say enough about the hospitality and class of this hotel and we will definitely be staying here the next time we visit London. We loved this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MichaelRinck

Dear MichaelRinck

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your kind comments on the TripAdvisor website.

We were delighted to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and that you appreciated the Hotel’s enviable location within the heart of London which allows easy movement around the Capital City.

Indeed our design blends the classical elements of the building with a contemporary feel, during the recent refurbishment our aim was to combine a contemporary design with the beautiful features of a building from the Georgian period. We believe that we managed to achieve a look and feel that would appeal to all generations. The Terrace Grill and Bar, with its glass domed roof, is indeed a wonderful space for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as an excellent choice at tea time.

It is very rewarding to learn that you appreciated the Hotel’s amenities as well as the service provided by our associates who are a great asset to the Hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

We spent just 1 night in a standard inward facing room - no you don't get a view but it was quiet. The staff are all very attentive. Best buffet breakfast I think we have ever encountered, especially the scrambled eggs on smoked salmon. The Terrace Bar is a great, very modern bar overlooking Piccadilly and you can sit outside if you wish though you get a bit forgotten by the staff if you're outside. The wine list is very well priced for a central London hotel. The hotel is in a wonderful position - many attractions are easily reached on foot and we would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MCambridge

Dear MCambridge

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your favourable comments on TripAdvisor.

It was marvellous to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the Hotel’s perfect location for walking to a variety of London’s major attractions, the fashionable Bond Street and Mayfair and theatres.

It was also very pleasing to hear that you liked the modern contemporary feel which was achieved during the recent renovation of the Terrace Grill and Bar. We are sorry that you felt a little neglected by the waiting staff and I have shared you comment with our Food and Beverage Service Manager.

It was hugely encouraging that you appreciated the courteous and helpful service delivered by all of our associates.

Once more, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is my third stay at this property and will be my choice for the next time. Our family room was perfect and large enough for 4 exploding suitcases. I would chose the concierge level again just to have access to breakfast - we couldn't make it back for any of the other services. Love the location to Regent Street, Bond Street, the Piccadilly tube station, Buckingham and many other attractions. Cecelia at check in was precious and very helpful with many of my requests.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family