“Never again!!!”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #514 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 October 2012

When I arrived here this morning after an 8 hour flight from Toronto, I was told by the check in clerk that the hotel didn't have my reservation, that it was cancelled. Luckily I had a copy of my e- confirmation. He still refused to honor the confirmed rate and told me the only room he could offer me was a smaller one at $150 Canadian HIGHER THAN THE CONFIRMED PRICE. He said he would check with Starwood reservations and confirm my story. I told him I was a Starwood gold member, he refused to believe me, he said that his computer system said I had yet to achieve this status
Basically gold status gives you free Internet.
I had the clerk call Starwood where my Gold status was confirmed. He never apologized. I guess I'll have to update the system. I said that perhaps you can now give me my room at the agreed upon price. No can do was the reply. I called for the day manager -Drew- he was excellent. He got me into a room right away, sent me up a fruit plate, honored the price and told me that he would send up a bottle of wine the following day. I told him there was no need but thanks for the offer. That night I woke up freezing. It seems that the heat was off and at midnight the Mainteance people were off and would be back untill the morning. I was offered a room heater. I asked for a room change and the night manager said he couldn't do that. The heater was my only option. I'm paying the equivalent of $400 a night here and they couldn't care less. I asked for something to make me happy and the night manager said he had no authority. Why call yourself a
Manager then? You might as well say you're just a clerk and can't help.
In the morning I'm off to the Langham. I should have gone there in the first place. I've never had a bad experience there and the night manager there has the ability to actually please his guests

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Joel501
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear Joel501,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the confusion you experienced on check in - this was a clear error on our part that was corrected subsequently.

I am very sorry that you first impression of the hotel was this poor, however I am glad that after our Front Office Manager spoke with you, you finally decided to stay with us. I trust that you enjoyed the remaining nights and that the first night did not dampen your view of Le Méridien Piccadilly too much. As you mentioned you have been staying with us since 1999 and I very much hope that we will continue to be your hotel of choice in London in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon here at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Piccadilly

Reviewed 16 October 2012

I mean Le Meridien is very different by other Le Meridiens. Stayed in many of them and I have to admit this hotel is a middle class Le Meridien. We had really problems with my booking. About breakfast. I had it black on white on paper that I have breakfast and the Manager just said I dont have it. And than he started to speak spanish so I dont understand.
This was soooo rude. I even wrote an complain to spg directly about this behaviour.
I just mean, if a guest comes with a paper where its confirmed, there should be no doubt about this issue.
As of this we changed to W london and that was completely different.. I even liked the rooms much better its new and Le Meridien kind of old style and not renewed really.
After all wouldnt come back for the offered price and received service.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank michaelmyshu

Dear Michaelmyshu,

thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following you recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I am sorry to hear that there was confusion at check in regarding your reservation. Unfortunately I am unable to comment without any more details as to how and via which channel your reservation was made. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss the matter. I apologise for any inconvenience you experienced.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We chose this hotel because of its location and the fact it had interconnecting rooms. On arrival we discovered that they had not reserved us interconnecting room. We were travelling with teenage children and this was an essential. The receptionist was extremely helpful and resolved our problem without issue and even upgraded us. We dined in their restaurant where the food was excellent. They were slow to take our order but once it had been taken the service was great. We decided to have a nightcap in the the Longitude bar - we had been told it closed at 11 pm as it was Sunday evening but when we got there at 10.25 pm was told the bar was closed and closed at 10.30 pm. After some discussion, we were offered ONE drink. This was typical of the service throughout our stay - it was either excellent or poor.

Our rooms were comfortable with surprisingly very little street noise. The beds were great. The location is ideal for both walking and using the tube.

Whilst I would have given the hotel 4 stars, their biggest downfall is their internet service. We are international travellers and in recent years have rarely had to pay for internet. The cost at Le Meridien is 50p per minute up to 16 pounds per day. Whilst this does allow you to connect up to three devices, it is not at all user friendly. We spent half an hour on our first two mornings with the help desk trying to get connected and during the day it would drop the connection and you would have to go through a fussy process to get it reconnected. It felt like the dark ages. We complained on checkout and were told that this is the biggest complaint hotel guests have. Obviously no one is listening. It will certainly be something I will check before booking a hotel again.

In addition, there were only three channels to watch on the tv unless you wanted to pay to view. It did not bother us but upset our children. It reminded me of the cheap airlines who make their money by charging for all extras - come on Le Meridien you are supposed to be a luxury hotel.

If you are not bothered about using the internet, I would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank eferg_11
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Eferg_11,

thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

It was great to see that you loved our rooms and the service received in our restaurant and at reception. Please accept my apologies though for having been given the wrong information about the opening times of the bar.

We have just completed a full review of our wireless network and found it to be working fine throughout the hotel. As always with technology this does not mean that we never experience some glitch - but our support team is always at hand to assist. During the review we also looked at an increase in some issues experienced by guests using the latest Iphones and Ipads, and it seems to tie in with the recent IOS6 update (you can find a number of articles and forums regarding this subject on the internet). There are a number of possible work-arounds but hopefully Apple will fix this soon. Please accept my apologies if you had issues on this visit.

I was a little startled to read your comments about our choice of TV channels. We offer BBC1, BBC3, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, More 4, Channel 4, Channel 5 as well as a range of international channels and news channels free of charge. Channel listings are provided in each room. I am very sorry to hear that you found this to be insufficient.

Despite some ups and downs I very much hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London so that we can hopefully improve the impression you left us with. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next booking.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Great location very close to Piccadilly Circus. Hotel staff was very attentive and dealt with my requests well: arrived at the hotel at 10a because of early flight arrival and while they did not have my room category available, they offered a two single bed room, which was fine since I was traveling on business. Room was small, but bed very comfortable, great shower with excellent water pressure (a pet peeve of mine), and excellent wifi speed. Service wise, one phone call and an electric plug converter was provided. Finally, EXCELLENT breakfast buffet with delicious healthy and decadent choices from a variety of fresh fruit juices and smoothies to Greek yoghurt to eggs, sausage, etc. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear TamCapMan,

thank your for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

It is always rewarding to read that our associates were attentive to your needs and managed to meet your expectations. And I am delighted to see that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet - indeed a wide variety of choice on offer and all in the very pleasant surroundings of our Terrace Grill & Bar with its glass roof overlooking Piccadilly.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

The hotel is very close to the train station, surrounded by good restaurants, minutes walk from the theaters and close to all tourist attractions. It's a bit pricey though. I traveled to London with my husband for work so therefore, the company paid for the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Rkaron,

thank you for sharing your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Our location is indeed ideal both for business and leisure, I am glad to see that you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

The staff was basically friendly and the location is fantastic, but be warned if you get a room through a last minute or deal website... You get the dregs with mold in the bathroom, mismatched furniture, windows that don't really open well, and a cramped quarters.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel for a better room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kim M

Dear Kim M,

I am very sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations regarding your room allocation. Room size varies depending on which category of room you book, but we certainly do not differentiate betweem different booking channels.

Once again please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations - I hope that you nevertheless might consider giving us another opportunity should your travels take you to London again in the future. Please do contact me directly for your next reservation so that I may assist you with your room choice.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I have Starwood elite status and stayed here over new year's. I was upgraded immediately upon check in by a very nice front desk agent by the name of Joanne.

The location of the hotel is perfect for NYE and other tourist activities in that Picadilly Square is right at the end of the block that the hotel is on. The pool is actually a lot bigger than you would expect for a hotel in this part of London. I do not believe there was an ice machine on my floor and I had to call to get ice each time but it was relatively quick each time. Hotel housekeeping cleaned my room promptly everyday and turned down the beds before I got back each evening.

I stayed for a total of 5 nights and only encountered a problem where another guest of the hotel was prank calling various rooms. This was not the hotel's fault and they handled in a satisfactory manner.

Room Tip: There is a parade that passes in front of the hotel New Year's day so if you want to avoid the n...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Hejustlaughs,

thank you for sharing you positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly last New Year's Eve.

I was delighted to receive you positive comments and thankful that you did post your review even after almost one year. I guess it just goes to show that one does remember a positive experience much more than a negative one.

I very much hope that you will choose Le Méridien Piccadilly again should your travels bring you back to London in the future. Thank you again for your review.