“Supposed to be a great hotel”

Ranked #506 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I bought two rooms from secret hotels on lastminute.com. I was told its amazing and I would be over the moon with this hotel.

Once checked in we went to the room to find how bad it is. The rooms are very small and have a smell about them. Terrible beds and the floors are so bad that you almost feel they will cave in. I'm very disappointed with this. The carpets are so old and the door frames are so battered they are filled in with some kind of filler which give a bad impression.

We had to have our room changed to a slightly bigger one. But the above still stands. I was told that I'm laying for location. Well let me tell you. I have stayed in cheaper and better hotels in the vicinity. If I'm going to compare the rooms. I would say they are like a bed and breakfast you get on a seaside. But they are sometimes better. I think the radian blu in Leicester ws is far better and at the time cheaper. My mistake.

I wouldn't stay here for even half the price. That was 250.00 per night no breakfast.

Well I'm on my birthday so better get pity and find some better places to drink and have a good time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Swindon1313
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Swindon 1313,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service. I am very disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.

We would very much like the opportunity to discuss the points you have raised further, therefore can I kindly ask you, to contact my office directly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hear from you at your convenience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Being my first time in London I wanted to be very central to the London scene and most of the tourist spots. Being in the center of Piccadilly, this hotel can definitely accommodate that. The hotel was chic and comfortable. Rooms were nice (not over the top nice, but nice) and had lots of closet space which is nice when you are traveling with tons of luggage for 3 weeks. Everyday room service delivered our coffee on the spot when we ordered it. But, there are great coffee places on the same block if you rather not do room service. The gym was great if you wanted to squeeze in a quick work out because you ate too many "pies" and "chips".

But my most favorite spot of this hotel and the place my boyfriend and I found ourselves the most at would be the Lobby Bar! Matia, the bartender was beyond amazing! Seriously, i became hooked to their "London Calling" cocktail and the espresso martinis... freaking amazing (and I know good drinks)! We would venture in their every night after coming back from dinner/night festivities and were always greeted with such a warm welcome from Matia and he remembered exactly what we wanted and would have it ready for us within a few minutes of coming...To say the least , these late night bar sessions made our stay at the Le Meridian very memorable.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be in the middle of the London craziness and close to the Tube. I will definitely be coming back to this hotel on my next London trip!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear LucasntheOC,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly in June earlier this year.

It was pleasing to discover that you had a great time with us and enjoyed our chic and comfortable rooms. Indeed, our aim is to provide excellent service at all times therefore I really appreciated the comments about your Longitude bar experience. I was delighted to read that Matia, our Head Bar tender did positively contributed to your liking and I will ensure your feedback will be shared with him, he will be pleased. Thank you for sharing your impressions on this platform, as we are only able to ensure great service at all times by receiving guest feedback such as yours.

We do hope that you will continue to return to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts in the future. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Checked in for one night over the weekend to escape the dust and noise of our home renovation and provide a base for a good night out. Service was friendly and efficient. Rooms comfortable, spotless and thoughtfully decorated avoiding any corporate blandness. Room and bathroom were of a decent size and well appointed with plenty of natural light and ventilation. Tea and coffee courtesy tray was a nice touch as well as slippers and bathrobe. It was little noisy from outside, but you cant expect dead silence in the heart of London's vibrant west end. It's worth trying the basement health club and large swimming pool. Mattresses were soft yet supporting, and bed linen white and soft; a bit like sleeping in a cloud! We didnt have the breakfast as there are so many great options outside the hotel. Certainly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank vivelaweekend!

Dear vivelaweekend!,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the hotel’s unrivalled location in the heart of London which is well placed for business and leisure being close to many major sights, theatres, shopping areas and transport link. It was encouraging to see that you appreciated the comfort of your room and the dedicated service provided by all of our associates. They are a great asset to the Hotel and I have shared your comments with them. Indeed, our Health Club and Spa is the perfect venue with its pool, steam room and relaxation areas to soak up the atmosphere.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that you will continue to return to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts in the future. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were with a couple of our relatives and stayed for 5 nights. This hotel deserve 5 stars for a location and for breakfast offer and beatiful interieur of Grill bar. But, the rest is for solid 4 star hotel. The room was rather small for a 5 star hotel & price. It looks like it needs a renovation of carpets and window frames. There was a problem with windows opening, since there was cca. 2 cm of free space due to fixed locks. I'll never understand the hotel security policies which sealed the windows and force you to "live" in your room only with AC unit???

Altogether, this hotel is attracting guests on location, but for more they need a bigger rooms and renovation of room interieurs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 5th floor above the Grill bar
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear CVITA64,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions following your recent stay with us.

Our hotel is a historic landmark in the heart of London and opened in 1908 and the rooms may vary in size and views as they do in most hotels in Central London. As such it maintains many of the original features whilst at the same time offering a contemporary look and feel; please accept my apologies for not having met your expectations on this occasion. Please be informed that due Health Safety regulations we are unable to remove the window restrictors in the rooms. With regards to your comments about the room’s product please rest assured that we are taking your feedback very seriously and are currently working with our owning company to enhance the overall guest satisfaction. I was delighted to discover that you appreciate the unique ambience in our Terrace Grill & Bar which is indeed a great venue for breakfast, lunch and dinner overlooking Piccadilly.

I do hope that your mixed experiences will not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London when we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed here for a weekend in London for a friend's wedding. It's located next to Piccadilly Circus so perfect for getting anywhere in town. There's a great standard of customer service, everyone was very helpful. We arrived early from an overnight flight so were hoping for an early check-in. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked the previous night, but we were offered use of the facilities in the fitness centre to shower and re-fresh ourselves. There was also an effort made to have a room ready as soon as the previous guest checked out.

We'd recommend eating in the restaurant once as it's a beautiful glass ceilinged 'conservatory' style area on the roof of the hotel.

We were concerned that, given the proximity to Piccadilly Circus, there could be some street noise. However, we were at the back of the hotel and heard no noise at all.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, on the north side will be away from the busy street near Piccadilly Circus.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear simoncox,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

It was encouraging to read that you had an enjoyable time with us, appreciating the hotel’s unrivalled location within the heart of London. I feel sorry that we were not able to provide you with a room upon arrival however it was great to read your comments how this situation has been handled by our associates. I will share your kind comments with them as they are a great asset to the hotel. Indeed we are proud of our Terrace Grill & Bar with its glass top roof and excellent cuisine in bright and stylish surroundings overlooking Historical Piccadilly and I was pleased to discover that you liked the overall experience in our Restaurant.

Thank you again for your feedback and choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcome you again to Le Meridien Piccadilly on your future trips to London.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Second visit to this hotel and I wish I could say that it deserves 5 stars.
Granted, we booked via Lastminute.com and got an excellent rate for the location but even at £200 per night I still feel it was disappointing.
The first impression is always important and unfortunately we had one of the most unfriendly receptionists I've ever encountered. She really looked like she didn't want to be there, although judging by the smiley faces on the rest of the staff I think we were just unlucky.
We booked a double room only to find that we'd been allocated a twin and as we were there for 2 nights we went back to reception to see if we could change to a double. Apparently we had been given an upgraded room and if so I can only imagine how poor the standard rooms must be.
Apparently no double was available apart form the inner courtyard-top tip, avoid these at all costs.
So whether she didn't like the idea of two men sharing a double I'm not sure. judging by her attitude I fear that may have been the case. If the hotel is selling discounted rooms on lastminute I can't imagine that they had no double beds left.
Nothing "wrong" with the room as such-just not 5 star standards. It's never nice to be lying in the bath and seeing the unfinished and shoddy workmanship of the underneath of the sink and bathroom fittings.
In the bedroom I counted over 20 various leaflets and pieces of paper-more like a library than a bedroom. We felt it was wasteful, unnecessary and untidy.
I can see that the manager likes to respond to comments and complaints. There was nothing in our case that warrantied a complaint, my review is simply my opinion of our stay and my feeling that a 5 star hotel should have higher standards.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room facing Piccadilly or regent Street. Don't worry about noise-it's all...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear a m,

Thank very much for advising us of your comments following your stay with us.

We highly appreciate your comments. I was disappointed to hear that your recent experience at the hotel did not meet your expectations and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I was very concerned reading your feedback about your arrival experience. I will address this issues with our Guest Services Manager so that we can look into improvement opportunities enhancing the overall guest satisfaction. I sincerely thank you for advising us of your comments and rest assured that your opinion is very much valued as indeed our aim is to provide excellent service at all times especially in a five star environment.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Couldn't have been in a better position for theatres and shopping.
Hotel was as you'd expect. Quite impersonal but beautiful room.
Really, really comfortable bed.
We were looking over regent Street and it was noisy at night so take your ear plugs!!!!!
Didnt eat at Hotel so cant review.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear GBK6,

Thank you so much for positing your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

It was pleasing to discover that you very much enjoyed your stay and appreciated the hotel’s unique location, indeed we are very close to the major tourist attractions and shopping facilities. We would be delighted to allocate a room on the upper floor on your next stay, so please feel free to reach out to my office directly so we can make the necessary arrangements avoiding any dissatisfaction with outside noise in the future.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back at Le Meridien Piccadilly.