“Great location, some improvements needed”

Ranked #524 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Shibuya, Japan
“Great location, some improvements needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

As most of the reviewers of this hotel have pointed out you cannot fault the location. Shops, restaurants and attractions are all within very easy reach. When you enter the lobby this definitely looks like a 5 star hotel yet the room we stayed in was most definitely not 5 star. It was a large family room with 2 queen beds, yet the carpets were stained, the furnishings looked tired and it just felt like it needed an update. We did enjoy the club lounge however which was modern, clean and the food and snacks provided were good. My major complaint about the stay is that our family room (we were staying with 2 young children) was overlooking the restaurant and on our second night there was a private party taking place in the restaurant which finished at 1am. We had to endure 4 hours or loud bassy music in our room which woke the children. The management were apologetic and offered to move us although this wasn't really an option at 11pm at night. The situation was handled professionally the next day however and so it has not impacted me too negatively about the hotel and I would certainly stay here again if we are in London.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Mark O,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent experience with us.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to enhance the overall guest satisfaction. With regards to your feedback about our room’s product, I sincerely apologise that we couldn’t deliver on your expectation on this occasion. It was very encouraging to read that our Management Team could turn around your negative impressions moving you to a different location. Please feel free to reach out to my office directly so we can assist you with the booking process ensuring that your next stay will be a memorable one.

We do hope that you will continue to return to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts in the future. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sérgio Leandro

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

the hotel is a nice period building right in the centre of Piccadilly walking distance to everywhere. common grounds are well decorated and rooms are decently sized. stayed in the hotel two times and both rooms were ok however both rooms' windows and bathroom needed improvement. the windows would nearly broke in a windy weather and bathrooms carry significant wear. check-in was not efficient due to a system failure. breakfast quantity also needs to improve. very expensive internet. apart from these the hotel has an unbeatable location and is basically good for short stays. would stay again if can catch a good price inclusive of internet and breakfast that do not deserve extra payment.

Room Tip: room with a strong window
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear ErolB13,

Thank for choosing to stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly and your time posting your review on TripAdvisor.

It is disappointing that we did not meet your expectation during your recent visits to our Hotel. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the hotel. I understand that you were dissatisfied with your check in experience and I apologise for any inconveniences the system error had caused you. Please rest assured that your comments with regards to the breakfast will be addressed with the Department Head involved and we will certainly look into improvement opportunities.

I do hope that your mixed experiences will not deter your from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or other Starwood Hotels again when you next visit London. Please feel free to contact my office directly so that I may assist you with the room allocation for your next stay.

Sérgio Leandro

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our third stay here at the LM Piccadilly. Nice hotel in a great location a block away from Piccadilly Circus and an easy walk to major attractions and the West End Theater District.

We arrived around 9am and our room was available. Check in was a breeze. Our room was nicely appointed on the 8th floor with a large bathroom, king bed and sofa.

A nice touch was the ability the plug in to charge our phones, IPads, etc., through the USB port station on the desk. Although equipped with adapters, this feature was very convenient.

The club lounge on the Mezzanine level was very comfortable and well stocked for breakfast and evening snacks. Staff in the lounge, as well as front desk and concierge was very pleasant and professional.

Can't beat the location. Will return again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jemctag,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor following your post on our website. I really appreciate you are taking the time to share impressions within our channels.

It was pleasing to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our well-appointed rooms and the hotel’s perfect location within the City Centre close to the West End Theatre district and major sights. I was delighted to read that you valued your Club Lounge experience and all services provided by our associates. They are a great asset to the hotel and I will share your kind words with them.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you at Le Meridien Piccadilly or Starwood Hotels & Resorts in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

For visitors who want easy access to shopping, restaurants, Hyde Park, Art Institute and many other attractions, it's difficult to beat this location. The hotel itself is in a very nice, stately structure, but the innards need updating. The hotel is more functional than it is experiential; not much charm even though there are good elements to work with. Because of its age I assume there is considerable variation in the rooms-- we had a large suite and overall it's pretty good value for the real estate. A good interior designer could do much to add bright touches to the rooms, like fresh paint, and revamp the awkward mixture of beat up wooden furniture with the modern sofas and chairs. The breakfast area is nice and airy, and provides a nice start to the day. The staff is generally helpful though you get the impression they may be overwhelmed at times-- again real estate seems to dictate that the reception area is rather small relative to the traffic volume the place must handle. I would stay again for the location, and the price was right for the space-- but if looking for a memorable stay would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear foodie019,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to see that you appreciated the hotel’s location close to tourist attractions and transportation links, ideally located for business and leisure travellers. I would like to say thank you for your detailed feedback and please rest assured that I together with my Management team will go through your comments. We will certainly look into improvement opportunities enhancing our room’s product and guest services as our aim is to create memorable guest experiences. I feel sorry if we fell short on this occasion. I would like to invite you to contact my office directly so I can personally ensure your next stay will be a pleasant one.

Once again, I am truly sorry for any shortcomings you may have experienced and I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or Starwood Hotels for your next visit to London.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel last week and a repeat customer. I had an issue getting a room with a mirror above the desk where the hairdryer was and had to go to 3 rooms at check-in to finally find one that had this. This should be compulsory in their room design to have the amenity. The one room I was shown you could not even pull the chair out from the desk and sit at it, as it was so close to the bed. Another room faced the entire heating and cooling fans on the roof. Finally I was shown a third room with a mirror where the hairdryer plug was. I received a bit of an attitude from both concierge and sign-in desk for my insistence of this request, who was deliverying my luggage and showing me the various rooms. Finally I took the keys and left my luggage at the front door and went on my own to look at the room I was being given. The same issue happened last year. I should not have been made to feel I was perhaps the problem and not the design of the rooms. As a woman on my own, I also wanted a room close to the elevators and no steps to get to the room after getting off the elevator. I have used the dining room at the hotel for years and have always had excellent food and service, so no problem there. The towel rack in the room was missing the handle to turn it off and on and the only way it could be adjusted was by the maintenance man, who came to the room and told me it either has to be left on or left on, that I could not adjust. The heat in the room at times was blowing cool air through all night and no heat and other. Last year the thermostat in the room did not work either properly and I had to be given a portable heater during my stay. I did think that this was suppose to be 5 Star hotel and I feel that it might not be, as the rooms have some issues, it appears. When my travel agent booked, it was for a King Bed, no steps after getting off the elevator and it to be not far from the elevator. I should think the staff member signing me in would not take this as and issue and that it was a very simple original request with someone travelling solo with a cane and disability. I think that the staff might be better informed on how to deal with someone with a disability for the future. I am also a Starwood member and was told by the one concierge person that the other members who have more points get the better room selection and I am not able to get the Starwood Guest Rooms. If I am to stay more and accumulate more points, then I should think that I should be treated in the same manner as other members and it seemed that the staff fell all over the Businessmen who were staying and not so much the holiday guests. The concierge were helpful with my general requests and the perk of being able to enter the Tate Modern or Tate Britian special exhibits with the hotel card was wonderful. I think at this hotel that the business traveller is given perhaps preferential treatment with rooms and tables in the dining room.

Room Tip: I faced Picadilly and quite enjoyed the view from the window.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Crackers2010,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay and that we failed to meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused to you and any shortfalls in product and service that you may have encountered.

It is very concerning that you felt that our Associates were not responsive to your request and you felt that you were treated differently to other guests. Whilst we do accommodate many business travellers on a daily basis, our hotel is also well equipped for leisure guests, groups and families. The associates at Le Méridien Piccadilly work towards the same goal and we all aim to offer the same memorable experience to each of our guests.

We appreciate that you have given us the opportunity to communicate with you directly via other channels and we're glad to be able to bring this matter to a closure.

As mentioned already in our email correspondence, we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the near future and invite you to contact us directly for any upcoming stay so that we can take care of all necessary arrangements.

North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just returned from a Christmas shopping stay at Le Meridien. What a great find!!! Fantastic hotel inan absolutely amazing location. Walked everywhere. No need for the hussle and bussle of tubes, taxis or buses. Oxford Street, Bond Street, Carnaby Street, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square & Covent Garden all within a 15 min stroll. Bedrooms quite small but had everything you needed and as for the beds and pillows...........bliss. Have to say they are the most comfortable I have slept on. Had to wait for breakfast as the restaurant was full. But sat at the bar with a juice so no problem and it was worth waiting for. Such a lot to choose from and excellent service. So glad I found this hotel. Can't wait for my next stay.
Also had a meal at Carlucci's in Covent Garden...........amazing would recommend. Excellent food at such a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Gillian G,

Thank you for your positive comments. It was very encouraging to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is indeed very convenient to visit London’s most interesting sights and in particular at this time of the year for Christmas shopping.
We were happy to read that you enjoyed our Le Méridien beds. Whilst we are sorry that there was a delay in arranging a table for breakfast, we are grateful for your comments about the offering and service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and hope that you will find an opportunity to visit us even before the Christmas shopping season starts again.

Metz, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel can qualify for an average 4 star. Five star it is not. Not by the service, may be by location only. Location is perfect. Service is good but not excellent. Breakfast is fine. I left the room in the morning, came back by 4 PM and it was not cleaned yet. The room next door ordered in-room service and their finished meal has been sitting by their door all day, filling the corridor with unpleasant smell. Wine glasses were left in the corridor for 2 days without pick up. Overall, it looked very untidy. The wi-fi in public places was free but very-very slow and in the rooms it was outrageously expensive. This is 21st century London and Internet is charged like it is 90s. If you can get the rooms cheap - by all means go, the beds are very comfortable. But at the highest rate - not worth the money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerome G
Dear Jerome G,

Thank you for posting your comments. I am sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations in regards to the cleanliness and the wireless Internet.
We are taking your feedback very seriously and will look into the points highlighted. In particular I was concerned to hear that you felt that the free WFI in the public places was slow.

Overall, I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to convince you of a greater service and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the future.